Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Just Bought A Jd 318, Now The Fun Begins?

starter mower deck

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I agree. If you don't have stuff laying around, the kit is probably the same price & less hassle to collect.

To clarify, the mod does not bypass the safety switches. The power for the relay is the existing safety interlock line from the battery, through the safety interlocks, to the solenoid. You simply remove the wire from the solenoid and splice it to the wire for the relay coil (86). Here is a drawing of the mod that makes a bit more sense.

Attached Thumbnails

• No start solution - RELAY insides.bmp.jpg
  • No start solution - RELAY.jpg

• Cat385B said thank you

#17 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • Member No: 11780
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yes, you are indeed correct, you can make the JD kit yourself, which I've already done. Cost me about the same amount of money for the parts but, I now have extra wire, terminals etc. I'll be using the old original purple starter wire to the relay, so the interlocks will stay in the circuit. I'll have to post some pictures soon, so in the mean time I'm having the time of my life. I love fixing things, I've been doing it for the last 60 or so years. Every new project has its own challenges, and I love a challenge!

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yes, you are indeed correct, you can make the JD kit yourself, which I've already done. Cost me about the same amount of money for the parts but, I now have extra wire, terminals etc. I'll be using the old original purple starter wire to the relay, so the interlocks will stay in the circuit. I'll have to post some pictures soon, so in the mean time I'm having the time of my life. I love fixing things, I've been doing it for the last 60 or so years. Every new project has its own challenges, and I love a challenge!

How old are you? You have a junior badge, yet say you've been fixing things for '60 or so years'!

#19 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Don't know anything about a "Junior badge"? I remember I started when I was around 8 years old fixing things, I'm 68 now! Learned to do just about anything. I respect the quality of workmenship and engineering back then, more then now. Thats one of the reasons I bought this JD 318.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:42 AM

That Orange thing with GTt Junior under your username is a badge we made for the younger members. Unless you want to stay in your 'second childhood', it can be removed. Just let one us (the mods) know.

#21 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:18 PM

That Orange thing with GTt Junior under your username is a badge we made for the younger members. Unless you want to stay in your 'second childhood', it can be removed. Just let one us (the mods) know.

If you can change the GTt orange thing, go ahead and do so! :thumbs: Thanks
  • KennyP said thank you

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:40 PM

It shall be done!

All done!

Edited by KennyP, September 18, 2012 - 05:41 PM.
added comment

#23 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 12:55 PM

My 318 spindles are greasable? Unless I'm getting my decks mixed up between tractors, Do I have a different style deck?

I know my deck seems taller then my father in-laws 322,

#24 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 02:49 PM

Which deck do have? 46, 48 or 50?

#25 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 08:43 PM

My deck is a 46" style. No grease fittings, I've been cleaning up the deck, kinda bent up some, and rusty some too. The previous owner didn't take care of it, left it out in the weather. She won't sit in the weather anymore as long as I have her! :blush2:
Right now I need to figure out why the LX790 runs kinda rough at idle, at higher speeds it seems allot better. I've tried choking it some to see if it smooths out, but it doesn't, so I think shes running lean of maybe it's just plugs, I think it has electronic ignition. I've checked carburetor settings and all their is, is just a idle adjustment.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: starter, mower deck