• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:55 AM

Will, better make sure the equipment is ready with plenty of fuel on hand. Could be a long, hard winter!

#17 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 02:57 PM

In the old days my grandpa told me to look for this indicators like an overabundance of acorns or blackthorn or the early shedding of the chestnut trees. Maybe it's not scientific, but I think, that in hundreds of years the people of a county learned to look for such signs and to interpret them. It's like the other wheater indicators, too.

The woolly bear caterpillars are extra fuzzy this year too!
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#18 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:18 PM

The woolly bear caterpillars are extra fuzzy this year too!

That's fantastic, Steve, but our little wooly friends seldom see the lights of a christmas tree...

#19 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:24 PM

Meteorologist = an educated guess :rofl2:

#20 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:40 PM

In the old days my grandpa told me to look for this indicators like an overabundance of acorns or blackthorn or the early shedding of the chestnut trees. Maybe it's not scientific, but I think, that in hundreds of years the people of a county learned to look for such signs and to interpret them. It's like the other wheater indicators, too.

I agree with you on this Wolfgang. History is the best teacher of all.
I'm sure we've all noticed, how weather forecasts in general, have become more and more
unrealiable. Is it because most forecasts are now made by computers, using models entered by
people who have no experience under their belt?
I think there are just too many variables, that can affect weather patterns, and to expect accurate
forecasts from a few inputs, is a pipe dream.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#21 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:14 AM

I agree with you on this Wolfgang. History is the best teacher of all.
I'm sure we've all noticed, how weather forecasts in general, have become more and more
unrealiable. Is it because most forecasts are now made by computers, using models entered by
people who have no experience under their belt?
I think there are just too many variables, that can affect weather patterns, and to expect accurate
forecasts from a few inputs, is a pipe dream.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, I think we remember different. There have been so many advances in meteorological technology in the past two decades that when they miss a forecast it is noteworthy. In general I find weather reports far more accurate than in the past, even here in the notoriously changeable North East. The farther out the forecast is the less reliable it is (thank you Captain Obvious), but within 7 days they usually get the trend and major fronts, within 3 days they are pretty accurate, and within 1 day they can peg my weather to the hour.

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 08:07 PM

"There have been so many advances in meteorological technology in the past two decades that when they miss a forecast it is noteworthy."

Well, they missed a bunch in my area last year. BUT, the "Aching Bones Crowd" missed it too along with the acorn counters and caterpillar squeezers. We didn't get squat after a dire prediction!

And another thing, "hurricanes". "OMG, you're all going to be blown away this season!" said the Weather Channel, as they smacked their lips in anticipation... squat again. They've had to make do with one single damaging storm for the U.S. (one too many for the folks in it) and it's not looking too good for the WC off the coast of West Africa.

One thing is certain about all of the seasons, eras, epochs, ages, geologic and solar patterns that affect us, they ain't exact science. They're science alright, and they are measurable cycles to a point, but thay aren't exact. A single year is a pretty tough call for anything connected with Ma Nature.

I can make as good a weather prognostication for my town as Jim Cantore does... I don't trust any official forcast further out than one dayI I've spent too many dark days weeping over good winter storm predictions, only to see flurries or "mist" coming down for hours with the temperature at 45ºF. So, I just click up Wunderground.com and look at the radar updates and satellite infrared images for a day ahead, see which way the moisture is heading and then I "pronounce" the weather all by myself. (cue booming voice) "It's going to rain in Hydro Land tomorrow!" However, as strange and unbelieveable as it sounds, yes it's true, I've been wrong a time or two. But, I'm in good company right there along with The Weather Channel's Kelly Cass and Vivien Brown! (Hubba, hubba!):D

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted September 17, 2012 - 08:22 PM

What I miss is the forcasters we had when I was a little kid. There was this guy who was a great sketch artist and he would draw on the map board as he was prognosticating. Much better than the computer graphics we get now.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:41 AM

I'll never forget the 10" of 'Partly Cloudy' we got that one time. That guy never got over that one!

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:51 AM

So much of our weather depends on the jet stream and which side of it we're on. If you've ever seen a time lapse of the jet stream, it whips around like a snake on a hot griddle.

Another personal note; a local pioneer was told by Chief Shabbona, a noted Indian, that the storms go around our area, either north or south. That is usually true, because there is an unusual increase in elevation to the west of us.

#26 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:54 AM

I'll never forget the 10" of 'Partly Cloudy' we got that one time. That guy never got over that one!

Huh, between Cleveland, OH and Buffalo, NY along Lake Erie that would be any normal winter season day, say from October to April :laughingteeth:
Oh ya, now I remember that is why I moved SOUTH !! :rofl2:

#27 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:20 AM

We're never getting a severe storm here ever again. Now that I'm actually working on my own backup generator, the power will be on forever and I'll look at the thing in 10 years and wonder why I bothered.

I'm going to be in the same boat as you.. Trading some stuff for a new yanmar diesel 7500 gen set.

#28 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I just got some of that latex-ite driveway sealer on. I wonder how that stuff holds up to getting the snow blade pushed across. I do have the little feet on the plow to allow the blade to ride just above the surface. So I'm thinking that I'll see the feet marks on the sealed surface and by the end of the winter it'll look like a toddler took chalk to a chalkboard.