• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:46 AM

I am sorry for posting so many questions but I just got this tractor and trying to learn as much as I can about how to fix things on it,,, and you guys sure know.

My front axle pivot bolt does not appear to have been lubricated for years. The result is that there is considerable play front to back of the axle. As I move it I see the bolt moves as well so assume the wear is not in the bolt but the opening. How do I go about fixing that? Fixing that and the switch are my first priorities, so I intend to take the axle off next week. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Some had bushings in axle and some had tiny roller bearings. The rollers can be replaced with the bushings. Check mount pin for wear or looseness and a good weld on back IF it is welded, some aren't. Lots of diffs in PK stuff over years. Think the bushings are same size as the ones for the spindles and maybe you should replace t hose while down too. Can get those from McMaster Carr on-line. ONe of the nicest, easiest to use sites I've ever been on. You pick by sizes wanted (common in this case) and each time you click on new size info it narrows down to closest few choices. You'll get them in couple days too. Adjust your steering gear at bottom, and sides for play and check/adjust your steer links. Sometimes ball joint ends get loose if no one has oiled. Some early joints have a cotter pin in end to take out and you can screw in the end of it to make tighter. Replace the pin when done. Don't get too tight, test all movement and check for 'tight" spots. Sometimes you need to make adjust little sloppy to eliminate that tight spot, caused by wear on the ball it rides on. Get ahold of Larry Goss from the Yahoo PK group and get one of his info thumb drives and have lots of info on PK"s and working on them. Good luck!
  • Alc said thank you

#3 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 04:01 PM

glgrumpy, thanks for the wealth of information. I will try to contact Larry Goss and see what I can get.

In your response you mention adjusting the steering gear. Do you mean the box at the end of the steering column? I did not know it was adjustable.... great if it is. All the ball joints etc. seem to be pretty tight but I will look closely at them and at the spindles while I have it off the tractor.
Thanks Again.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 07:55 PM

My 2418 had the little roller bearings in it and they kind if all fell apart at some time and there was so much play in the axle , made a temporary repair by putting a brass bushing in it's place that wasn't quite the correct size , Al

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:46 PM

There is a big ring on very bottom of case, where the shaft would end and has a bearing there. Some can loosen the ring and then the whole bottom part kinda screws in/out to adjust, then lock ring again. Don't get too tight. The bearings at the bottom and one on top like it can go bad too. Might have to remove the gear box from tractor to adjust?? Maybe these don't have the side adjust like bigger tractors, can't recall. Is there a bolt or square head sticking out with a lock nut on side? That would take up play on gear to shaft clearance. Many times there is wear at the center point and it will tighten when turned and you have to leave the center a little loose so it won't lock up when turned. If you aren't getting quite a bit of turn before wheels move, the box is probly all right an might just leave alone for now till front is done.