4 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 10:37 PM

I spent last thursday thru sunday at the annual fall show held by the Nittany Antique Machinery Association. The weather was gorgeous on thrusday and friday and then it rained friday night into saturday early morning. We managed to get saturdays parade in at 11 am and then it rained for about an hour and then turned just cloudy for most of the afternoon and cleared out before nightfall. Sunday was another beautiful day with a very quick late day shower that really had no effect on the show. We even managed to get the tractor pulls and parades in every day.

I took my Cub Cadet 100 and 107 with plows as they were going to have some plowing available to do. This was a new thing for them this year to try. Turned out that the ground was to stoney and with the rolling hills it didnt work out well with the garden tractors. The big tractors did ok but they didnt work at it too long till they quit.

We also took our Farmalls M, H, 340D, B, and Cub as well as my Case RC and our JD A. While running the JD on the dynamometer I was approached about running the corn shredder. Since the A is restored and I didn't want to chance the belt jumping off and scuffing the side of the grill tin I said I would do it if I could use our M as it still wears its work clothes. They said yes and I got her and hooked her up and we ground up some corn.

It was nice to spend the entire weekend there with my parents. They have a 5th wheel camper and we spend the weekend at the show. I missed the show last year due to the flood we had and the year before I only got one day in at it as my wifes family had an emergency and I had to leave.

The turnout was not as good as usual this year but even with the rain threat we mangaed to pull in 836 registered tractors and 9 steam traction engines. Normally the tractor number is around 1,000. One year we had nearly 1300 when they featured JD. The feature this year was Oliver and they had some very nice examples of them there. The only pictures I got were a few shots of the M in the corn grinder and a few shots of one of the steam engines running the threshing machine.

Hope you enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2592 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2593 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2594 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2595 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2596 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2597 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2598 (Small).jpg

Edited by IHCubGuy, September 13, 2012 - 10:44 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 06:15 AM

The club does put on a very nice show. I usually make it up every year for the fall show, and really enjoy it. Just to let the guys know that have never been there, they also have a huge flea market area for the women to enjoy, an area set aside for the small engine and hit & miss engine guys, a nice sized building full of toy vendors, plenty of on site parking for campers, lots of food vendors, evening entertainment such as bingo, square dancing, and gospel groups. There is usually demonstrations set up like the saw mill, corn sheller, rock crusher, dynamometer, and apple cider/butter press. This club goes all out to make sure youhave a good time, and they always have something going, to keep your attention. They also have a show/auction in the Spring, but I don't make that one, since I don't usually have the money to spend.

Due to the flooding of last year, I heard the club is going to re-feature John Deere again next year. Normally a particular tractor brand is featured about every seven years, but because the attendance wasn't great last year for the John Deere show, they are going to do it again next year.

If you have never attended this show, I recommend that you at least try and make one year. You won't be dissappointed.
  • KennyP and IHCubGuy have said thanks

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 07:41 AM

Just seeing that long single mountain reminds me of going to school there. Good to know there is a show there. Bummer about your weather, though.
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 06:57 PM

The club does put on a very nice show. I usually make it up every year for the fall show, and really enjoy it. Just to let the guys know that have never been there, they also have a huge flea market area for the women to enjoy, an area set aside for the small engine and hit & miss engine guys, a nice sized building full of toy vendors, plenty of on site parking for campers, lots of food vendors, evening entertainment such as bingo, square dancing, and gospel groups. There is usually demonstrations set up like the saw mill, corn sheller, rock crusher, dynamometer, and apple cider/butter press. This club goes all out to make sure youhave a good time, and they always have something going, to keep your attention. They also have a show/auction in the Spring, but I don't make that one, since I don't usually have the money to spend.

Due to the flooding of last year, I heard the club is going to re-feature John Deere again next year. Normally a particular tractor brand is featured about every seven years, but because the attendance wasn't great last year for the John Deere show, they are going to do it again next year.

If you have never attended this show, I recommend that you at least try and make one year. You won't be dissappointed.

We will indeed be refeaturing JD next year due to the flood. Talk at the moment is IH the year after that from what I've heard. I never thought of mentioning the flea market but if I were to guess I would say that the flea market is as big as the show grounds for the tractors and small engines together if not bigger. I was there all four days and I know I didnt see everything there was to see. Heck if you get bored with the show you can always take the cave tour in a wooden flat bottom boat. We did that about ten years ago cause it was SOOOO blistering hot we wanted to escape the heat.

Edited by IHCubGuy, September 14, 2012 - 07:01 PM.

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#5 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 07:00 PM

They also have a show/auction in the Spring, but I don't make that one, since I don't usually have the money to spend.

The spring show is more or less just built around the consignment auction. There is usually next to no tractors at the spring show. If one attended it and someone told them how much different the fall show is I dont know if they'd believe it or not.
  • KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks