#1 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 04:22 PM

I would like to share more things with the group but because I'm using a Kodak camera the runs Quick time software it is very complicated to do. I would like to hear any advise the you can give on purchasing a camera.
My preference is to purchase a used camera that is a couple years old and won't break the bank. This camera will be used in the shop, boat, and airplane so if it gets damaged or left out in the rain it won't be a big loss. I would like to keep it at no more than 4 mega pixels. Zoom during video and very importantly is that the time from pushing the button until the photo is taken (lock time) be kept to a minimum. You cover a lot of ground in a plane so the photo needs to be taken quickly. Right and left hand operation would be a big plus while flying but I can live without this.
Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Droid Incredible by HTC smart phone! Absolutelyblow your mind killer camera! Best of all you can call home or even surf the web ;)
Forget Samsung they stink! I know first hand.... its what I am typing this message on... Oh how I miss my HTC. :(

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Keith I appreciate your advise but I have my hands full with a Trac phone. I would like to keep this to just a camera. We just purchased a new car and I don't know if I will ever be able to figure out how to program everything in it. I have to keep it simple.
Thanks again.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:14 PM

I will tell you what not to buy. GE.
My wife got me one for last Father's Day. It looses pictures, refuses to take them sometimes, and it's a gremlin. No ryhme or reason to it. Explains why she got such a "good" deal on it.

The 2 best cameras I've used lately: my old standby Minolta Z6 and the one my parents just got, an Olympus SZ-12. Both are bigger than your avg point and shoot and will be bigger than 4 Meg, but it's worth it not to have the aggravations of a cheap camera.

#5 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think I can help you out here...this is my 'other' hobby...and in spite of what my buddy keith says, my Samsung SIII shoots incredible photos and videos...see all of my posts and videos about my ford...they've all been shot with the Galaxy SIII...

Now that we have that out of the way.

For a digital camera you're going to be hard pressed to find a Canon or Nikon that does not fit the bill. They both offer top notch optics and great controls. You don't have to go to a digital SLR to get great photos and videos.

If you're after a camera that is a few years old in design but will offer the best of everything ...look for a Canon S95. Small, light and powerful, alowing great control and even superb low light photos... You may not be able to find one but if you can you will be impressed...

If you cannot find one, any of the Canon or Nikon cameras will suffice...GL
  • Cvans said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:44 PM

I really like my Sony Cyber-Shot, but the lock time is excessive. Well, I think it is. I've never used another camera other than that one.

From what you described, I think a Sony would be a disappointment.

Edited by Cat385B, September 13, 2012 - 06:57 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Chris, look on craigslist for a Canon Elph series camera. I broke my Canon Elph and upgraded to a well used newer model that only cost $4o.oo.

Look on Craigslist and something closer to what you want may come along at any time. Good luck.
  • Cvans said thank you

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:29 PM

I knew you guys would come through. I'v had pretty good luck with flea-bay and will also check craig's. There is nothing like first hand knowledge to help dodge the disappointments.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I really like my Sony Cyber-Shot, but the lock time is excessive. Well, I think it is. I've never used another camera other than that one.

I have a Cybershot also & really like it. I do not like having to use an adapter so the memory card will slide into a computer slot though.
  • Cvans said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 06:58 PM

The wife has a nice Cannon but for the shop and riding the MC we have a fuji that works well and didn't break the bank. The only down side seems that Window's 7 doesn't want to use the software that came with it but I upload pic's just fine from it.
  • Cvans said thank you

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Well if has to be a simple camera then my choice is almost any Nikon they are awesome and pictures are easy to up load to a PC or in most cases directly to a web based program like photo bucket or YouTube. But they still need a PC to gain access to the web. Canon too has all the same type goodies. Kodak is just plain old hat! I have one too and hope my 2 year old destroys it so I can get me a new SLR Nikon so all the lens I have for my 35 mm Nikon can be used.
  • Cvans said thank you

#12 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:33 PM

My goto back up camera(s) have been the canon S series (S1, S2,S3 or S5 if you can find one) I've had several, bought sold and have at least two in a box. I keep one ready 24/7 (the S3 IS) works on 2 dbl A batteries and they suck the life out of em pretty quick when your in heavy action. Pics good, video zoom good, audio for concerts and such A++. Seem to always be on ThEbay,usually close to -$100. Trick is gettin one thats been treated gently. good luck on whatever you choose!
  • Cvans said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have one too and hope my 2 year old destroys it

:rofl2: I love it.
The other option is to leave it outside when it rains. Ask me how I know. :spanka:

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Chris, look on craigslist for a Canon Elph series camera

After doing some research I decided to go with one of these. I ended up getting a power shot SD600 ELPH. I purchased it off of fleabay and it arrived today. I haven't spent much time with it yet but so far I'm very impressed with this little camera. First thing I noticed is that it is very fast. I have not used a digital camera yet that is any where near this fast. It's small enough that I can use it with either hand which is a big plus. This one came with an extra battery, SD card and carrying case and all the goodies that came with it new. I looks to have been taken very good care of as there isn't hardly a scratch on it. All this shipped to my door for under $50.00.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help offered I really appreciate it.

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 10:48 AM

I ended up getting a power shot SD600 ELPH. I purchased it off of fleabay and it arrived today.

It looks to have been taken very good care of as there isn't hardly a scratch on it.

Does anyone else realize the flawed nature of this post? No pictures!

Congrats on the new camera.
  • Cvans said thank you