• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:58 PM

UPDATE. I bought this tractor which ran fine, two weeks ago. I drove it off the trailer into my shop. I have not had it running since. I have replaced the switch. I have hooked every electronic device to this thing I have and it appears that the switch works fine, is hot when and where it is suppose to be. BUT only occasionally it engages the starter. The starter may or may not engage with no change in current flow from the switch. Current is going to the selenoid but not dependably from it. I am buying a new selenoid tomorrow to see if that is it. I have checked the starter and it appears to be working fine. If this does not fix it my intention is to start replacing wires from the starter backwards in the event there is a wire that is only occasionally making connection.

#17 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted September 20, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I would agree that the solenoid could be the problem. To check it do a voltage drop test across the 2 large terminals of the solenoid and anything over .2 volt while cranking would indicate the contacts are bad in the solenoid.
  • powerking56 and Buggyman have said thanks

#18 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 08:39 PM

I picked up a new solenoid today ($19.) and will give it a try. I appreciate the suggestions over the last few days. I have to work tomorrow but hopefully will get the new solenoid hooked up Sunday and give it a try. I also bought some new wire so that I can start replacing wires next. Thanks again.

#19 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Finally, I have this thing running and able to drive it for the first time. I did replace the switch and then the solenoid on it. It started right up BUT still has a short somewhere. As I am using it, for example, while pulling my disk every 20 -30 seconds it misses which sounds to me like it momentarily loses current. I am going to just start replacing wires on it as I think one is almost broken, pinched, etc. Other than that the tractor runs and operates great. I do have one more question.... when using my lift there is fluid splashing, or being forced out of my tank under the seat. I am wondering how much fluid should be in it. Mine is down a couple inches and still loses fluid out the cap. Thanks.

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like the new switch has the Run circuit tab where your old switch had the Start tab. That is why whenever the key is switched on it keeps a cranking. There are two solutions to this problem- one is to get the correct switch and the other is to rearrange the wires so your new switch will function with your wiring system.

***Warning- Some switches will connect the Run circuit to ground (used on Magneto type ignitions) that kills the spark. If that type of switch is used on an external / powered coil type engine it will blow the fuse or worse..