• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 10:51 AM

I need a new ignition switch for my late 70's 2418 tractor. I see on E-bay that two model numbers are available. The ones I found are listed as part numbers 03-2028 or one listed as 03-2020. Are either of these the one I need? I see that one is listed as 3/4 and the other as 5/8. Is that what the different serial numbers represent. Back to the point, could someone who knows for sure tell me which is the replacement I need to order.
Thanks, Mike

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Can you give us the terminal configuration of the switch and the serial of the tractor. Also check the PK manuals in our manuals section.
The 3/4 and 5/8 indicate the size of the mounting hole but the switches have several configurations so you need to make sure you get the right one.

#3 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sure I would be glad to provide those... where is it on the tractor the serial number is located...I remember reading that on here a while ago but have forgotten.
Thanks

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 09:06 PM

I know one place to look is on the dash.

#5 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 09:17 PM

This tractor has been repainted and the numbers removed. I have looked at the dash, grill, and under the tractor on the frame. No luck on any of them. I was told by people on this forum that it is a late 70's tractor so I hope they all used the same one but no way to know that I know of.
thanks Mike

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yes, your tractor is anywhere from a 1973 to late 70's. That's really all you need to know about the tractor itself. What you do need to know is what type of ignition you have. That will depend of what switch you need. I won't get into particulars because I always get confused but the first step is to determine if you have electronic ignition or points and condensor, and so on. Can you see what the terminals on your existing switch are labeled?

If the serial number for the tractor is on the frame at all, it will be on top of the frame, under the sheet metal where your left foot sits while driving.

#7 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:36 AM

In my case the tractor has points and condensor. I am going to take the switch out of it today.. AFTER TAKING PICTURES OF HOW EVERY WIRE IS HOOKED UP. I can't see any letters or numbers on it while installed. I just hope there are some visible after removal. As I take the tractor apart for renovation I will look for that number under the left foot rest.
I really appreciate your responding.

#8 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Great if you have point and condenser you will need a switch like this one. It has an "I" terminal that stands for "Ignition". That wire will go to your coil
I Terminal.jpg
Also keep in mind that the terminal configuration does vary also so check our switch and go accordingly.

#9 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 04:04 PM

FOUND ONE.... I took the old switch out and went to NAPA to see if they had something that would work. The guy had an identical one to my old one with each pole marked the same etc. SOOOO I am set with a new switch.
Thanks MIKE

#10 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:11 PM

That's great Mike. Just glad you got the right one.

#11 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 10:54 PM

BACK AGAIN. all is not well. I installed the new ignition switch... I KNOW IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY. I then attempted to start the engine and the starter engaged and did not dis engage. I had to take the battery post off to shut off the starter. It appears to me.... a non mechanic.. that the selenoid is now stuck?? What say you??

I bought this tractor a week ago running great.. drove it off the trailer into my shop.. and it has not run since!

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I would think the solenoid could stick. Never had one do that but I guess it's possible. I suppose the starter could stick as well. How freely does it move in and out? It may have stuck out and stayed turning with the engine. Make sure to lubricate it so that it pops in and out with ease. It doesn't take a lot of lube. Some folks say you should use a dry lube on them but I've never had any problems with just a little bit of oil.

Edited by David Brown, September 18, 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:05 PM

I would fine wire diagram and check connections. Sounds like wrong connect or switch is wrong for your set-up. Your getting constant voltage to the selonoid as example, instead of stopping when out of start position. You have three position switch or four? Some trators had four with the fourth being for accessories to run, like lights in the first on position. PK never had that. Wire diagrams on Yahoo's Power King group in files.

#14 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Make sure that the only connection to the "S" terminal ONLY goes the the starter solenoid and has no other wire connected to that circuit.
Something is supplying power to the solenoid when the key switch is released from the start position. To check this remove the wire from the solenoid and it will quit cranking. That way you can verify that something is not sticking as David Brown mentioned.
We have some PK manuals in our Manuals section to help you.
  • Buggyman said thank you

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:26 PM

I maybe wrong here but i belive you still have the wrong switch. The markins on the switch may be the same but it is what happens when you turn the switch that counts. There may be several different functions a switch will do and they may all look and be marked the same and not work until the right one is there.
  • Buggyman said thank you