#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Got an HF type tire changer, one for mounting on floor. I made a tube to mount it in the truck's hitch port. I removed a couple older rotten tires from my tractor. Understood what to do with long tool and worked great. BUT, now when putting on the new tire, troubles! I figured you use other end of tool that has bent over end and "legs" that stick out each way. One way is pretty straight and other way as an angle to it where the lip is to follow wheel. Seems I got one side on pretty good, not real easy, but can't keep tool on the wheel to force tire down on rim. AND, the tire keeps wanting to turn and hard to push it down in rim center and run the bar with only two hands, a third is needed. SO, wondering if anyone has those instructions from same tool that would make a copy of or upload to site that I can make/print one for me. OR, does some one have one and can try to explain how to use for mounting? Here's a pix of the unit I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tire Changer on truck 001.jpg

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Here is the instructions for your tire changer I believe. What I do is put some small blocks of wood between the rim and tire as I go around pushing the tire down. I also have the motorcycle changer which will hold the rim in place for the rear wheel's haven't done a front on so I'm not sure how that will work. Did you lube the rim?

Hope this helps.

Attached File  Tire changer.pdf   1.22MB   93 downloads
  • glgrumpy said thank you

#3 rubberfish OFFLINE  

rubberfish
  • Member No: 10887
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:11 PM

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
And use tons of lube. Doesn't have to be tire lube either.

#4 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:28 PM

And use tons of lube. Doesn't have to be tire lube either.

Dish soap makes excellent lube...

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 05:02 AM

I have found that the HF bar is not very good at installing a tire. I have a couple older tire tools that I use to pry the tire onto the wheel, just keep one where you start and use the other to work the tire over the edge of the wheel. Dish soap is a great lube.

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:24 AM

I bought one of those tire changers as well.The problem is that the end used for putting the tire onto the rim isn't quite designed quite right.I've ground mine down on the part that sits on the rim to try and get it to fit better.It works a bit better but not all that good.One other thing is I also welded a flat bar onto one side of the bar where it sits against the unpright.The reason is to try and keep the bar from wanting to spin.It did help some what.I'll take some pics and post them later.I used to use a tire changer like this one years ago not quite the same but still on the same principal and it worked great.Like I said the end isn't quite right.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• tire bar 001 (Small).jpg
  • tire bar 002 (Small).jpg

Edited by massey driver, September 14, 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Wild Bill, exactly the right papers, thanks!! I DO use dish soapy water on tires and rim. Guess I had it right, but the tool just didn't seem to want to stay in place for the last bead on. I might try jambing wood or such to hold tire down one side. I have tire tools too, and used them on my first try. BUT, I bought the changer hoping to get away from fighting the tools! Oh, well, have more tires coming to try it again, I'll experiment a little.

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 08:50 AM

glgrumpy; see if this might help, it is for changing a MC tire but it may give you an idea. You also may want to Google the HF tire changer there is all kinds of stuff out there on it.