EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Here is the Cub Cadet 149 I picked up May of this year for $250

Got the Cub Cadet 149 washed up and the leaking pump gasket replaced.Thought I would snap a few pics of her.
Cub Cadet 149 14hp Kohler Bored .010 over,with Balance gears removed and re-ballanced crank,LP head and reground 16hp cam and #30 Kohler Carb.
And I had the head shaved .010 just to clean it up a bit.

I need to replace the points yet,the old ones still work but are starting to walk off of the point pin.So they're worn and need replaced.

The original Muffler blew apart so After I put an exhaust on it started to run hotter than normal so I will be replacing the galvinized threaded pipe with a 1 piece mandrel bent pipe/w welded flange.
The galvinized pipe is restricting the exhaust because of the small inside radius of both the pipe and the elbow.So I won't be running it until I get the new pipe I ordered.It's only going to cost me $14 for the pipe and $8 for a flange.

I had a the same setup on a 10hp Kohler and it worked good but the 14hp needs to breath a bit more I guess.

Sorry about the crappy pics,I'm in need of a newer camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0041.JPG
  • IMAG0042.JPG
  • IMAG0043.JPG
  • IMAG0044.JPG
  • IMAG0045.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, September 12, 2012 - 06:21 PM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Don't look at the JD Seat I try not to.It was a free seat and it's not ripped up.lol

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Nice looking 149. They are great tractors. Another reason it might be running hotter is the diamond plate in place of where the original grill was. Might be restricting the airflow.
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I'm looking for a grill for it.But it did not run that hot with the original exhaust on it.The original muffler blew it's end cap off.
The Diamond plate grill was on it when I got the tractor.

I have the tunnel cover off of because I changed the Relief valves with a set of used automatic unloading ones.It's still off because I was making sure they didn't leak.

I was looking for a gear drive Cub but I couldn't pass up the 149 even though it needed a good bit of engine work.The body was in pretty good condition and it has hydro lift and sleave hitch.

I have to find another Flex disk for the drive shaft.Was just out tinkering with it and noticed it is cracked through at one of the bolt holes.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 12, 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have to find another Flex disk for the drive shaft.Was just out tinkering with it and noticed it is cracked through at one of the bolt holes.

I've have had quite a few of those disks get bent up and break. Be nice if you could double them up but then the driveshaft length would have to be changed.

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Well you could always put a straight pipe on her lol But a real beautiful looking cub and for 250$ you cant beat it! if we had those deals around here everyone and their brother would have one

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Nice looking 149. The hydraulic lift has to be the best thing since Pampers. The first time you lift the tiller with a manual lift you'll know what I mean.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 01:19 AM

I'm going to make a Flex Coupler out of a hunk of Conveyor belt I found up at the farm.It's a tad bit thinner but I'll double it up.

I might have to slot the holes under the engine to get it lined up correctly but that's an easy job.

Had a darn critter in the chicken coop to take care of.Young fox got 1 smaller chicken and a couple bites on another one.I live in a small town but we do have well Had 30 chickens 3 dogs and 4 rabbits.We had a pair of Guinea but they kept chasing the neighbors.lol They're like attack dogs.

The neighbors don't mind the chickens they get eggs off of me all the time.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 13, 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've made the flex couplers out of heavy belting with good results. Made a pattern so more can be made as needed.

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 05:31 PM

I Found my other camera so Added 2 more Pics.
Doing the points on her now and I have the Flex Disk out so I can make a new one.Installed new headlights and re-wired them.The main wiring harness is in Perfect condition but the Head light wires were spliced a few times.

I have the Tunnel cover for her,just haven't put it back on yet.I do need to find a Grill yet.

I will be restoring the deck this winter or after the last Mow.I'm picking up a complete QA36A Blower for her in a couple days for $75.It's suppossed to have a rebuilt right angle gear box on it but we'll see.

How do the QA36A blowers do in wet snow?My uncle has a QA42A on his 147 and he says he runs out of power in 6"-8" of wet snow.The 147 doesn't have a ported pump either so that may make a difference?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0042.JPG
  • IMAG0043.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, September 25, 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#11 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:50 PM

They like dry snow a lot better but I have blown wet snow too. Mine usually plugs up before I run out of power though. I have a 123 with a 42" thrower and no hydro lift but I doubt that would make any difference.