• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:51 PM

I got a welder months ago but never got around to using it. Today I decided to try it out. It's a little Century wire feed unit. I managed to stick 2 pieces of metal together and then welded a section of 1/16th square tubing to a piece of 1/8 flat stock. A bit messy as you would expect.

DSCF8155.jpg DSCF8159.jpg

Then I got the MF8 fender deck and welded some patches into the rear corners above the mounting tabs where it had cracked and torn away and rusted out.. I had some trouble burning through in a couple places but all in all I'm happy with the results. Heres a picture of the damaged areas.

DSCF8132.jpg DSCF8133.jpg

Heres one of the patches I put in on the inside.

DSCF8152.jpg

I must say it was kinda fun but I need to learn more about welding and get some more practice.

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Man this is a very liberating feeling...Welding is such a 'must have' resource in our hobby. When you do the first thing...you then feel the empowerment of owning a welder...cool beans and congrats!!! The welds don't look to shabby either...at least you're getting good 'wetting action'..Have FUN!!!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Your patch looks fine to me. A weld doesn't have to always look perfect to hold for life anyway, but your work looks good, especially for a newbie. Good job! :thumbs:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Good job. I have a wire feed welder and use flux core wire. I love it. To help with the burn through on thinner metal, stitch it. Weld no more than about ¼ inch in one spot at a time, move to the opposite side and stitch again. Work slow and move all around round trying not to put too much heat in one spot. This takes longer but allows the metal to cool somewhat, and reduces panel warping. All in all, good looking welds for the first time.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:07 PM

Growing up, I was never welding fora score, it was always 6011 stick and hurry up, the rains a comin'.

Now, I find myself caring more. Takes a while to break old habits.

Your's look good Brian, good for you. :thumbs:
Dint worry about an imperfection or two, As long as they hold, the rest can be fixed.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Not too bad....Are you using gas or flux core?
I have had better luck ith the gas compared to the flux core, but that may be a personal problem.

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Looks good for the first try and you will get better at it as you get more practice and your confidence grows.

I also find welding with the solid wire with the 80/20gas mix to be a lot easier and with a lot less splatter. I was welding on my new to me trailer last week and couldn't figure out why the weld looked terrible when it finally dawned on me to turn off the box fan.

Edited by GTTinkerer, September 12, 2012 - 07:07 PM.

• MH81, JDBrian and twostep have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thanks guys, I have been watching welding videos and reading about it and finally got around to trying it. The welder is a 115v flux core wire feed welder, a Century 80. I did this welding on the low setting. At first I had trouble keeping an arc established. I turned up the wire speed and that made all the difference. I was surprised at how well the little welder worked. Next job will be to repair the JD317 frame where it was welded out of kilter in a previous repair. It's a bit thicker, 1/8 to 1/4". Those auto darkening helmets sure help make it a lot easier to learn. I would have trouble getting an arc going if i couldn't see the work.
One thing I need is a decent welding table. I was using an old cast table saw extension on top of a wooden bench for now. Now I'm going to have to install the 240 outlet for the stick welder I bought in the spring at a yard sale and try it out. That will be used for welding thicker stuff.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Brian nice job. I need to follow your example and get my welder out and start practicing.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Good show, Brian! Looks better than my first try on a mig!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:40 PM

It was a pretty nice feeling to get that patched up without having to drag it to a welding shop and pay to have it done. Now i can get the fender deck sanded and primed. It has been in the e tank to strip the paint and it is rusting just sitting in the basement. That's what prompted me to just set up the welder and go for it.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Looks a ton better then my first welds! And I was also using 80/20 mix and solid wire! I too watched a bunch of videos and read a lot on MIG welding tips. They help, but you really have to do it to learn. It is not something you can just read online and do!

When I was starting, I put a lot of time into practice. I started out by welding on my broken mower blades.

#13 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:01 PM

talkin about welders, i picked up a hobart handler today off craigslist.been looking for a while now. Its a older one ,been used but it doesnt have to be pretty to work good.Its even got gauges hooked up for gas. Couldnt pass it up.The trigger has some issues but it did work,wire feed works. Its been 3-4 years since I welded.I took some classes for mig & tig a few years back. Does anyone know anything about these older hobart handlers by any chance? I noticed it takes a bigger spool of wire instead of the smaller ones u get at lowes. I t didnt come with any wire so I ran to loes and bought some flux core wire to give it a shot,thats when I found out it wont fit.Or do they.I dont know if you can maybe rig them up to work with a spacer & washer,IDK , dont wanna bind it up either. Any info would be great

#14 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I only started welding about 5 years ago, and your welds look much better than my first welds! :thumbs: I now love welding, and find it very satisfing, especially when building something from scratch. Congrats!!

Matt
  • JDBrian said thank you

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,774 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:00 PM

I guess I am spoiled. I have a welder that I have used 3 times. I know a welder who charges me little of nothing ( partially because he finds the stuff I build to be amusing) who is an amazing craftsman. Those welds look pretty good for a 115 unit. WHen I get power in the shop I may use mine more, but for now I don't mind running to his shop and playing with the other toys he has while I am there.