How to Convert a Kohler Command V-Twin Vertical Shaft Engine into a Horizontal Shaft -
- Drill the oil drain-back holes in the corners of the cylinder heads near the valve train so the oil can drain back down in the oil pan.
- The oil pump must be changed (pickup tubes are different).
- The vertical shaft engine has no horizontal mounting holes on the block. (They are on the sump cover.) So a couple of L-shaped engine mounting plates must be fabricated to convert the block into a horizontal shaft and mount the engine in the tractor frame.
- Various holes in the block must be blocked off (drain holes are different, etc).
- Everything else on the engine should work with no modifications. The PTO end of the crankshaft will be a little long, being it's made for a vertical shaft engine. But it'll still work just fine in the horizontal position.