12 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Looked at a Ford 860 yesterday. Motor sounds real good, 5 speed transmition seems to be good,
It's been converted to 12 volt system. What concerns me is the steering was real stiff and the brakes are weak. The owner seems to be a cranky old coot. How hard is it to fix the brakes and steering?

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Brakes are pretty straight forward. Steering should not be too much either.
Stiff you say? Usually too loose. Check gear case for oil or water.
The real money comes if you have to work on the hydro pump or lift!

Joe
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yes I'm a Ford tractor guy. I have a 1956 850 with a loader and a Fordson Dexta. The steering on the 850 is starting to get stiff on mine also but there is a reason in my case. The seals for the two output shafts were leaking badly and lube needed to be added (check yours for lube) so I thought I would try something. I tapped the filler plug for a grease zerk and filled the box using light weight gun grease. Doesn't leak anymore but is not as easy to turn as it used to be. Especially in the winter. I guess I will rebuild the steering box next. Other than that It's been a very good tractor. Your 860 will have a live PTO which is a nice feature.
Can't say enough good about the Dexta. Wish I had known about them years ago.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 11:31 AM

There are a number of Ford Tractors for sale in the area and I'll be looking to see what the best deal is before I makea move.
The live PTo is an asset I was looking for due to my property being one big hill. But if I go with 9N,2n 8N or NAA I could use an over run clutch on the PTO. The 860 apeals to me, but I will have to decide if I can deal with this guys attitude.
It would be convienient since it's only 4 miles from my place.

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 01:16 PM

The 860 is almost twice the tractor and will easily handle a 6' brush hog. I've been running one for years on mine. After running mine I would have a hard time going back to an 8N. If you do consider the "N" option I would steer clear of the 2's and 9's as I believe they are only 3 speeds. Also the later model 8N's have the distributor where it is much easier to service than the early ones.
Good luck with your search.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 01:34 PM

Chris I can sure see where your coming from, it would be hard to go back. The guy is asking $3200 for the 860.
He also had a 9N for $1800.(No implements) I've found several within 50 miles that I need to check out. I also need to buy implements,mower, blade,plow and disc and a corn planter and cultivator for sweet corn, and bring it all in around $5000. so am looking for the most bang for the buck.

The other option is to go with a big GT with tiller,I have found getting my 318 set up with a tiller is going to run into more money that buying a machine set up. We have 7000 sq ft of garden and I've yet to see a year the wife did not want to go bigger?

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 12, 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:30 PM

You can do small work with a big tractor but you can't do big work with a small tractor. I have started doing almost all my garden work with the Dexta. Size wise it is about half way between the 860 and the 8N. It's 33 horse power with live PTO and hydraulics.
It's perfect for my garden (100' x 150'). Works good with an 8' digger, two bottom plow, 7' sickle mower, 6' brushhog, and a 7' back blade. If you think your ever going to buy a 3pt tiller for you tractor than look at something with a low range. The 860 will not go slow enough for this but the Dexta will. If you can find one these little Fordsons they are wonderful tractors and being a diesel use very little fuel. This photo is very similar to mine.
I paid $3000 for the 850 with the loader from a family member 6 years ago. The Dexta was $2700 from a private party this spring.
Posted Image

#8 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 08:16 PM

If you want to work buy the 860.
If you want to go to tractor shows buy the 9N.
I don't know that I'd buy a dextra. They were made in England
And I believe parts are hard to come buy and expensive.
I've got two farm tractors and seven garden tractors.
If you can get buy with a gt, you'll save a lot of money.
Joe

• Cvans said thank you

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have done a little research on the parts thing and have found the Dexta being a Ford product, the parts I checked seem to run about the same as other tractors. Availability seems about the same also.
Your comment about the GT's is probably true for doing garden work. I have found over the years that for ground breaking a full sized tractor to be the better option. Also I raise a lot of sweet corn and nothing I have found does a better job of preparing the stocks for fall ground work than a bush hog. Then after the residue sets for a few weeks the whole garden is worked up with the 8' digger and left til spring. From that point on the garden work is done with the garden tractors.
If Dannels can swing it and the need is there I think he is on the right track wanting to have both available.

#10 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 09:01 PM

You know, come to think of it, I think you may be better off buying
A mid size tractor. I have a 1956 ford 640 with a Howard step down
Tranny and a 1949 Harry ferguson TE-20.
The main thing being a modern class 1 three point hitch.
Once the soil has been worked I think a garden tractor can keep it going.
But, the main thing is the implements.
Class 1 are more common and that can tip the scales on a garden tractor.
However if you get a gt with implements, that can be the better deal.
You pay a premium for john Deere! Bolens or wheel horse will be a lot cheaper
At least around here!
I'd stay away from the n series fords and certainly don't buy a jubilee or naa.
Newer hundred series were much better.
And don't confuse override clutches with live clutches! Not the same thing at all!

Joe

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 09:14 AM

A little more info about my situation. I have 8.9 acres and since I lost a home to a flood and had to buy a new place at the age of 62 when I was thinking about a pending retirement. So I need to find a way to make the ground pay.
About 7 of those acres were in field corn the year I moved. The cornstalks wre mowed with a GT and the ground is pretty rough.
While I'm mowing it with a GT it's a rough ride. the wheelbase is such that the front wheels are climbing and the rear are going down. So the mowing would work much better with a longer wheelbase tractor. As for the garden, I have been tilling the whole thing flat with a troy built walking tiller It occured to me that at least 1/3 of what I'm tilling is walkways. I would like to till only the strips I am planting and make raised beds(no surrounds) and use grass walkways between the beds. Since this property is all one big hill that would help control erosion. The sweet Corn and potatoes are still going to be flat planted.

While the Gt's have done very well,I have never had the whole place mowed at one time. It's a constant couple acres a week so a bigger machine would be a big help before I get burned out on mowing.

Joe you said stay away from the NAA. I have to ask why since there is one about 30 miles away I had planeed to look at this weekend? along with a 2N, with mower and blade about 25 miles away they are both in the same direction so I was planning to hit both in one trip..

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 14, 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#12 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 14, 2012 - 12:54 PM

My brother has a jube, that was the first year of the post 8N tractor. The next year was the NAA.
Then came the 600 - 800 series. The earlier tractors had some design issues that were corrected later.
The hydro pump comes to mind first. (vickers pump, obsolete before the 600 came out $1000 to replace)
1 1/8" pto shaft instead of 1 3/8" ($125 to upgrade)
Newer governor design (can't get parts for old design)
Collectors have an emotional attachment to golden anniversary edition tractors and pay a premium for them.
They really should sell for less!
You can usually get a 600 or better yet a 601 series for less money. Live clutch was an option on 600
Standard on 601. Step down tranny is a real good thing to have. Most 601's have them.
With as much land as your talking and hilly too, I'd say you need a farm tractor.
My 56' 640 with a Howard step down tranny will run a tiller. No "N" series will do that.
Dextras like my Harry ferguson were made in England and have girling brakes and lucus electrics.
Both obsolete and hard to find parts for.
As always, you get what you pay for and have go for the best deal you can!

I hope this helps

Joe
  • JD DANNELS and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#13 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Sounds like an interesting tractor none the less. Have any pictures of it?