• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:16 PM

hello all i am a new member, just 24 hrs, i posted a request for some hesston info, got results super fast , love this site, its so full of very usefull information, pictures and ideas, i like my lawn equipment but was always intimidated to do restores, i am out in the country in canada and dont have a club or site with like mined people, i would like to get something to plow with and maybe join in the fun, any idea what might be a good older plow tractor, i am use to big stuff like massey 375, case 485, cat 248, i have a wheelhorse 414-8, a toro 269h, a hesston front runner on the smaller end, i really like the 1650 massey posted here with 3 ph as i could put a tiller on it as my stuff will work, parts and available attachments would be a consideration for me as its no good if i cant fix it, this i am finding with my hesston but i have an old guy with a machine shop who has been fabing stuff for farmers for 50 years, as he says , if its man made i can build it, also just a thought my neighbour offered me a 63 bolens suburban with original tractor seat , original white and red paint , first year 1962 was gold i am told,second was red and white with steel tractor seat third year had a cushion seat, is it worth $100 and is it worth restoring , its a tiny little thing, any thoughts would be helpful thanks again keep up the good work , i will probably be spending the next few days searching through this site (i must be a gtalk guy) thanks again and hope to be hearing from you, farmer john
  • MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Welcome to the site, Farmer John. Yes, this site has some great guys with a tremendous amount of knowledge and always willing to share and help. Enjoy!

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Welcome farmer john! You will find this to be a very hospitable bunch of folk, so kick back & enjoy your new home! :wave:

#4 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Glad to see ya here John :-)

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:45 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk farmer john, glad you could join us.

As for able tractors, I am reasonably familiar with the capabilities of the WH you mention. If you happen to be able to come across a Brinly style plow before you are able to get your dream rig, the 414-8 will certainly pull a 10" without problem.

You will more than likely need a little wheel weight and eith locate or build a hitch, but these things are all possible.

Thanks for the intro, and post a picture or two when you get a chance.

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 12:37 AM

Welcome farmer! I be sure that you'll find help here, everytime. Seems that some of the guys here never sleep :bounce: :laughingteeth:

Edited by jd.rasentrac, September 12, 2012 - 04:22 AM.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 01:46 AM

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you join in! While you are surfing the site, check out the 'How-To Videos'. Great info in them.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:40 AM

also just a thought my neighbour offered me a 63 bolens suburban with original tractor seat , original white and red paint , first year 1962 was gold i am told,second was red and white with steel tractor seat third year had a cushion seat, is it worth $100 and is it worth restoring , its a tiny little thing, any thoughts would be helpful

1961 Is when Bolens switched their colors to gold and in 64 they got rid of the gold.
With these mowers condition is everything.
If you could get a picture of it that would help determine exactly what you have

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:53 AM

John,welcome to the forum.glad to have you with us.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Welcome John. I'm not a Bolens expert but from what I've seen they are very collectable and if that tractor is in reasonable condition it would make a great first restoration project. There will certainly be lots of help here as the Bolens brand has a large following here and they are a friendly and helpful bunch. 100$ is a good price if it's in restorable condition.

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Welcome aboard Farmer John ! Hope you enjoy the site, great bunch of folks on here.
Bolens have a strong following here so I'm sure somebody can help you out. I myself have two Bolens, one came with parts I needed and the other would be a fair candidate for the ugly tractor contest, I just have been too busy putting up hay and such around the farm to get any pictures of it.

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Welcome to GTTalk John. I'm glad you decided to join us so pull up a chair and enjoy the site.