10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 08:27 PM

Got the 1966 Simplicity Landlord home last night. The skeeters were out, in full force, so I pulled everything off the trailer as quickly as possible and covered it all with a tarp. Got home too late tonight, to take any pictures, but I'll try to get some on here next week.
Olcowhand was asking me if this was a 101 model, and I told him I didn't think it was, but now I'm thinking maybe it is??? There's a decal, under the seat, that gives the model numbers for the types of 101 tractors according to what options the tractor has... manual start, electric start, hyd. lift, etc.
The seller was in the process of moving, and couldn't locate the paper work, so I don't have that to refer to. He's supposed to call me when he finds it... I hope!
I thought that I read, somewhere, that the 101 came standard with hydraulic lift, but maybe that is wrong. My tractor doesn't have the hydraulic lift. I'm pretty much totally in the dark, about Simplicity tractors, so maybe you guys can help me out. Like I said, I'll try to get pictures posted soon.

Bill

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 08:35 PM

I don't think any of the Landlords came with hydraulic lift standard. Always wanted a 101 myself.

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Daniel. That clears up some of the possibilities. It's going to be a real education to learn about this tractor. First thing I noticed were the "reversed" items... mower discharge on the left, clutch on the right. I wonder how many times I will be going around things on the "wrong side" when I start to mow with this or how many times I'll be pushing on the "invisible" left clutch pedal :D

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 29, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hope them skeeters wasn't to bad, Sounds like the tractor is going to be fun

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 08:51 AM

First thing I noticed were the "reversed" items... mower discharge on the left, clutch on the right. I wonder how many times I will be going around things on the "wrong side" when I start to mow with this or how many times I'll be pushing on the "invisible" left clutch pedal :D

I've only got to look at 101's in pics & never dawned on me about the right side clutch pedal! I'll tell you one thing, if I ever get one to use, it's gonna get a pedal switching! Almost 30 years ago, I got a 350cc Butaco Pursang motocross bike. Shifter on right, brake on left. I dang near tore the tranny out hitting the right for the brake. I put cross shafts under the frame to switch them out & it worked perfectly. I had to put an extra centering spring on the shift cross shaft as the internal one wasn't strong enough for the extra shaft. My Massey 1010's deck is left side discharge.

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 30, 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, seeing that pedal on the right was a real surprise to me too. Switching it to the other side might be a real good idea... before I run into something!! Funny thing is, I looked at this tractor, and talked with the owner, for at least 45 minutes before I noticed the pedal! Anybody know why the tractor was made with the clutch pedal in this location??
The drive assembly is really different. I had no idea how that was set up either. It's pretty interesting how the engine drive shaft is directly coupled to a right angle gear box with double output shafts. One side stays "live" for belted PTO implements , and the other drives the trans-axle through a belt with an idler pulley clutch in between. Sure is nice the way they made it all accessible... just lift up the hinged seat/fenders and there it all is!
You have to pay attention when you put the drive belt on the mower... twist it the wrong way, and the blades will be running backwards!
The engine runs good and doesn't smoke at all, but takes a long, long time to fire up. Gonna have to check that out when I get time.

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Congrats on your new tractor! You will like how well it mows. With the rear full width roller on the deck and the way the front end is pinned to the front axle to pivot the deck will do an amazing job. You will be putting stripes in your lawn in no time.I don't know why they use the left discharge, right pedal design. You might want to check the oil level in that bevel gear box. There is a pipe elbow with a plug in it coming out of the cover on the rear of that gear box, about a third of the way up from the bottom. Take the pipe plug out and the oil should be visible in the elbow.
As to the belt direction for the mower deck, I've put them on backwards more than once myself!

Edited by tractormike, August 03, 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 04:36 AM

Somehow I missed this thread,congratulations Bill,on your latest tractor.

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 11:26 PM

Congrats on your new tractor! You will like how well it mows. With the rear full width roller on the deck and the way the front end is pinned to the front axle to pivot the deck will do an amzing job. You will be putting stripes in your lawn in no time.I don't know why the use the left discharge, right pedal design. You might want to check the oil level in that bevel gear box. There is a pipe elbow with a plug in it coming out of the cover on the rear of that gear box, about a third of the way up from the bottom. Take the pipe plug out and the oil should be visible in the elbow
As to the belt direction for the mower deck, I've put them on backwards more than once myself!

Thanks for the advise about checking the oil level. Maybe the previous owners learned about that the hard way...I think that gearbox has been replaced or repaired at one time... there's no paint on it.
I'm looking forward to working on this tractor. I really like seeing, and learning, all the mechanical differences in the way these GT's are powered.

#10 MDB OFFLINE  

MDB

• Member No: 1002
  • 71 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:29 AM

Congratulations on your purchase The Simplicity Landlord series is a great tractor and they very versatile. IMO you will love the job it does mowing and will not give a second thought to throwing grass to the left.:D:D Enjoy your Landlord.

Mike

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:44 AM

MDB:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.