#16 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:23 PM

i was living in greenville ohio and was working 2nd shift at whirlpool .
i had just woke up and turned on the tv to watch some news.
they had a shot of the first tower with smoke coming from it and then the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower.
i thought it was a movie and was wondering why the news wasnt on.
i started surfing the channels only to see that it wasnt a movie or a bad dream but real life.
when i got to work it was so strange not to see or hear the planes coming and going to the dayton airport but was seeing fighter planes from Wright Patterson Air Force Base.
this is a day i will never forget. i hang my flag every year on this date and always have a tear in my eye.
  • backwoods said thank you

#17 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:54 PM

At home watching TV by myself. Parents came home and immediately had the news on. Took me a few minutes to even comprehend that. My brother is a firefighter and he was almost sent to one of the sites. Really scary day. I don't think it'll ever be forgotten. A big praise for all our men and women that went in to help with this tragedy.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I have a CD nearly full of images and other pics that pertains to this day. It is a slide show. I really don't want to put it onto Photobucket or a similar site. If I could figure out a way to share with you guys, I'd be more than happy to do that.

#19 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I was at work and one of the girls working on the course came in and told me about the first plane. I left and went home and turned on the TV just a few minutes after the second plane hit. One of those days one will never forget. Another for me was the JFK assassination and probably Pearl Harbor day for some of the older folks.

I retired from the Army about 12 years earlier and thought for sure I would be getting a phone call saying to report to Ft Sheridan, IL to return to active duty. I called my branch manager and asked to go back but they were only accepting those who were retired less than three years.

Edited by GTTinkerer, September 11, 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#20 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have a CD nearly full of images and other pics that pertains to this day. It is a slide show. I really don't want to put it onto Photobucket or a similar site. If I could figure out a way to share with you guys, I'd be more than happy to do that.

Kenny,
I believe on youtube you can make it private and just post the link here.
  • KennyP said thank you

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I was outside working on the farm, and not having a cell phone at the time, Teresa couldn't contact me to tell me. She saw me walking to the house so came out to tell me. I watched in a kind of a haze in my mind, not quite being able to believe what i was seeing. It will always affect me, even though I had no loved ones in the buildings. Then came more video of the Pentagon & flight 93 going down......
I was almost unable to speak.

#22 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I might get a warning for this ,but i will take my chances. all i can say is ........Bastards!!

#23 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I remember every step I took that day. My Mom told me just after the 1st plane hit. We were watching the news when the 2nd plane hit, and even now that thought gives me chills combined with a nauseous feeling. I drove to the place my father, my girlfriend (now my wife) and I all worked at. Everyone there was in shock, huddled around a small TV.
One of my cousins is a firefighter and was on scene shortly after the 2nd plane hit. Luckily he is still with us, although like so many others, he lost long-time friends when the towers came down. Another cousin is a paramedic in WNY, and volunteered for the recovery effort; where he was for several weeks.
I've thanked them both for their service, but I know there's no way I (or anyone that wasn't involved) can fully appreciate the things those brave men & women did that day. God Bless them all

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:16 PM

I might get a warning for this ,but i will take my chances. all i can say is ........Bastards!!

No warning from me...I totally understand....and agree!
  • AcreFarm and tractorman604 have said thanks

#25 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Even though I am Canadian,I agree with you 100%.

Thank you Maynard.

#26 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I was in the Days inn in Valdosta GA getting dressed to be a pallbearer at my Grandfathers funeral. This is one of the nice days inn that has an interior court yard where the contenintal breakfast is served, it has a giant screen TV that can be seen from the second floor. I was stil getting dressed when I heard a collective "Gasp" from everyone out side the room. The voices started raising and you could hear disbelieve. I stepped out of the room and saw the towers smoking. Every other door was open and everyone ,in various shades of dress, had come out to see what had happened. It was an amazing time, the next few days. The loss of Grandpa was overshadowed by the loss of the twin towers.

What I remember the most is the driving back from GA to NC two days later. There wasnt a plane in the sky, anywhere for the entire 8+ hour drive. The sky was the most brilliant blue I had ever seen it and Clear also.

I had to rent a car from the airport to make the drive down to GA, I didnt trust my car to make the trip. I had to return the car and get my car out of the airport parking lot. AT least I thought I would. Very long story shortened, dont try to walk back from the airport parking lot to the rental place (2 miles) in the dark when the airport is under full security. Yes i had to assume the position!

#27 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 12:11 AM

For years we were used to Stewart Air Force Base's C5a's going by our house on low patterns now and again. I was watching the morning news with a coffee and heard a big plane go nearly over the house. I ran to the window because it wasn't in a normal approach pattern. I thought it was in trouble... and it was! The rest is history that I watched unfold that day. Later in the evening my elderly cousin called me from Yonkers and said the plane passed directly over her house as well...

When we were attacked at Pearl Harbor we had a clear and distinct enemy to confront and defeat with our nation's lives and resources all in total commitment to defeat that brazen enemy. On 9-11 I watched a nation reel and suffer... then to wander around in a daze for 11 years hence. Our country has no direction in this world any longer. We've lost our respect in the world, we have no unity of people or purpose, and sadly, we have no leaders to try and bring us back again. We are failing from the inside out.

September 11th has become my personal "National Anger Day" and it has not subsided. Instead it increases as I watch the years pass by and we continue to take it on the chin without seeming to care. Not even The Great Depression tore such a big hole in the Stars and Stripes. Who will ever sew us a new one?

Edited by HydroHarold, September 12, 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#28 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 08:48 AM

Just noticed this thread. Had started one myself, but will add my thoughts. I had been retired for almost two yers, and was trying to get the nag of this new fangled thing called a computer. Was in a chatroom when someone said that a plane hit the first tower. thought, " How tragic ! " THEN someone said a second plane hit the second tower. I rushed into the other room to turn on tv. My wife was still working,and as I truned on the tv she called and said she was coming home, that they had closed her wojrk place for the day. The next few weeks seemed surreal as we looked up to an empty sky. As HydroHarold said, anger increases as we consistently " take it on the chin". Our embassies being attacked because of some foolish movie....... and a foreign leader saying that America has not done enough to punish the maker of a silly film. IMO,,America should do more. Like bomb the crap out out of these fanatics that get away with killing innocent people. Yeah, i'm one of those that still believes in an eye for an eye. Wish we had a Teddy Roosevelt leadingour country instead of a bunch of oil company puppets.

#29 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 01:26 PM

Oldtimer, my thoughts exactly!!!!!