• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Yesterday I moved a bunch of tires in the car tent and took the cub out. It has been sitting for at least two years now, I know, not good. I pressure washed all of the mice droppings and spider webs off. Since there were mice droppings all over the engine, gas tank, battery and everything else I assumed there where mice in the engine covers. Since the flywheel is pointing backwards on the cubs the engine has to be pulled to take off the covers. Taking the engine out took me less then an hour.

Posted Image

I proceeded with evicting the mice. To take off the flywheel cover off, the screen has to come off. And, to do that the little pulley has to come off. I did not know how to take off the pulley and I broke it. I stopped, and before doing more damage I wanted too make sure there were mice before I took it off completely. I took off a side cover to where I could see in it and it was empty! So now to put it back together.

I did not want to put it back together with the broken pulley, even though it would not effect anything. Trying to figure out how to get it off I bent the flywheel screen. Since it was bent I figured I would bend it more out of the way to figure it out. I saw how to get it off. Then, I tapped a screwdriver between the pulley and the flywheel. After rotating and putting the screwdriver in a few spots I got it off. But, now I need another pulley and another screen!

I went to the shed to take one off another engine. But, since I had to bend the screen to get the other off I don't know how to get this one off without bending the screen or breaking the pulley. I could put a puller on it but that is how I broke the other. Any suggestions?

It is causing a lot of head aches to evict the mice that never moved in!

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 04:46 AM

Ryan,that Cub looks in great condition.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:03 AM

It would be interesting to find an easy way to do this, Ryan. I hope to work on my 108 one of these days and have that pulley in there..

#4 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Don't have any suggestions for you Ryan, but I have to say, that Cub does look really nice. Any plans for it once you get it fixed??

#5 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:24 AM

are you talking about the aluminum pulley?I know on all my cubs,I had to put a impact on that nut,once tat came off,it comes right off,the screen is bolted to the backside of the alum. pulley. it could be different ,not sure. My firt one I took apart I made the same mistake,but didnt break anything got lucky. hope that helps

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the complements! But, in person it does not look as good as it does in the picture.

are you talking about the aluminum pulley?I know on all my cubs,I had to put a impact on that nut,once tat came off,it comes right off,the screen is bolted to the backside of the alum. pulley. it could be different ,not sure. My firt one I took apart I made the same mistake,but didnt break anything got lucky. hope that helps

Yes, that pulley. It is supposed to slide onto and off of the shaft. But that is not the case.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I got it! I bolted the drive plate to the pulley and THEN put the puller onto it. It still took a bit of pulling to get it off but it is off. I did see the plate was twisting, but I have three or four more of those so I just kept pulling. I would rather bend the plate then break that pulley also.

Here is how I got it off.
Posted Image

I got it all back together again!
Posted Image

When putting it back together, I broke the choke cable. And while taking it apart the wire broke off of the condenser. So it will need those things replaced.

#8 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Ryan...glad you got it off , that sucks you broke the choke cable * condensor wire. That cub is in pretty good shape.

#9 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Glad to hear you got it back together. That is a real nice looking Cub. I like the diamond plate grill screen.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:57 PM

That is a nice Cub! Ryan, you have quite a fleet of GT's!

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks!

I went and put the belly weights back on. I don't know the exact weight of them. I will weigh on of them.

First, one piece bolts to the factory mower deck brackets.
Posted Image

I has two "wings" that go on the sides. The one with the long piece of square tubing goes on first. The tube slides into the other square tube on the front of the main piece on the deck brackets.
Posted Image

The long tube sticks out of the other side and the other wing then slides onto that. Then a screw is put into the front corner to prevent the wings from sliding outward.
Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Ryan, glad you got it back together. I know you say it's not as nice in person, it sure looks really good in the photographs.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 02:35 AM

Nice set up for those weights. Just watch your shins when you have them on there. LOL I happen to have an extra set of the quick attach hardware. I had planned to make a belly blade, using them to attach it. Just haven't found blade material yet.

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I ordered two condensers, one for the cub and the other for the 195. They came yesterday, I wanted to put them on today but it has been raining cats and dogs! I hope that I can get them on tomorrow!

Kenny, they actually don't stick out! Each side is about 2 inches inward from the outside of the tires.
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted September 19, 2012 - 02:33 AM

I just got my new condenser this morning.My old set was walking off the post and only contacting 1/2 of the contacts.It was causing mis-fires at WOT and sluggish throttle responce while under load.