• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:47 PM

My vertical welds from Wednesday and Thursday were pretty bad, especially Thursday. I am not sure what is wrong now, Shnitzer suggested it was a mental problem (not the one causeing the GT addiction though) and that is why I have went "backwards." I think he is right about that, because for some reason on Thursday I could not even get a decent flat weld! I haven't been feeling well this week and the first time this year I stayed home today, so no progress there.

The "blueprints" that I mentioned earlier are from a book that is the fifth-edition. That edition has a LOT of errors, and questions that do not make sense. Because of that, I always had to ask the teacher what different questions where asking for. Just about everytime... it made no sense to him either and we would look it up in the eighth-edition of the book. On Wednesday, Shnitzer just told me to take the book home with me so I could figure it out myself, and I would not get slowed down so much. It was the only copy of the book we had in the class, but he was not worried since nobody else in the class does the work anyway; I did more work last week then anybody else has all this year (literally).

I took a picture of the book, so you guys could see what I am working from.

BFC464C7-D16B-49A9-8226-ABFDBECBB8A2-282

• MH81 said thank you

#92 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Today was the day the DOT test was scheduled. Yesterday, we where informed that it was going to be canceled due to the possibility of school cancellation. Well, most of the county's school districts where closed, so boces was also. I don't know when the test will be rescheduled, or if it will be at all.

#93 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:34 PM

The DOT test was rescheduled to be last Wednesday. Last week was regents week, so a few people had to miss it for an academic test. Those who did take it, did not do well. I was sick so I was not there, I was told everybody was experiencing a lot of arc blow. I talked to everybody that took the test, and nobody was very confident that they passed.

This week, my vertical welds got better, but still pretty bad! I had asked Jody (weldingtipsandtricks on youtube) to do a video on vertical with a 6011. Did anybody see it? One of the five tips he had was to put vise grips on your stanchion for a prop. That helped me a lot with keeping steady! I was also moving about half the speed I should have been, this was something the teacher pointed out.

Most of the kids joke around with me (I do it too) about cleaning up, since I am the only one who cares enough to pick up. For example, yesterday Mr. Shnitzer yelled at the class, because they where not cleaning up. He then said "That is why you will all be working for Ryan one day!" I heard that, and thought it was pretty funny; it also made me feel good. Today, as we arrived it was the normal BSing around. Well, the one kid who always has something to say and does not know when to stop did something that really set me off! He was pealing flux off of electrodes and putting it into the sheet metal roller! I yelled at him, and told him to clean it out; he just stared at me with a blank face. After several curse words, and LOTS of yelling... he just went and sat down! I proceeded to get a brush and do it myself. He could have just swept out the flux, but instead he had to pick up his books and papers that ended up scattered on the floor. :smilewink:

Edited by Ryan313, February 01, 2013 - 03:35 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#94 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 19, 2013 - 07:27 PM

My vertical has gotten quite a bit better; they surely won't pass any certification test, but they are better. I was told today to start on overhead tomorrow.

There are not enough copies of the blueprint workbook for everybody, so one drawer of a file cabinet has units 1-15 printed out in it. Since the book had 28 units, I figured that 16-28 would be in another drawer; I looked and could not find anything. Apparently the other units where never copied, because nobody has ever gotten that far; Basically, I have done more in a little over half a school year, then anybody has in two full school years.

Mr. Shnitzer said I was most likely going to be a "one year wonder" and what he meant is that I am on track to finish a two year course in one year. He also told me to stay in my stick both for the next 5 weeks, then the last quarter I can sit over on a TIG welder. After that, he said "And I don't know what the hell to do with you next year." I told him I could be his sidekick...
  • olcowhand, Alc and marlboro180 have said thanks

#95 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted February 20, 2013 - 08:11 AM

That is great Ryan, glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep it up :-)

#96 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Last Friday, I was given blueprints 16, 17, and 18... I already had them completed on and turned in Monday. Tuesday I took textbook chapter 15 which is TIG equipment and setup, and chapter 16, which is TIG techniques and processes. I had 15 done Tuesday night. Wednesday there was a two-hour delay, which means no BOCES. I did not go to school since I only have two other classes and I know nothing is done on two hour delays. I am not one to sleep in, so instead of going to school I did chapter 16. Shnitzer was more then surprised that I had them done so fast. He also told me I am screwing up his grade book, and he has no more room to put my grades. I thought that was kinda funny. :D

Yesterday, one of the welding students who graduated in '04, Anthony, came in. Anthony is one of only 2000 world class GM technicians, 1600 of which are in the states. He came to give a presentation to the autoshop class, but the welding class also went over since he was a welding student. He basically told everybody about where he came from, and what he has accomplished. Anthony and Shnitzer talk on a regular basis still (Shnitzer was his welding teacher also) so before the presentation he was in the welding shop, which gave us all a chance to talk to him and actually meet him one on one.

Today, we had a few sophomore students come in. They just tried out different welding processes and it was to see if they want to join next year. We pretty much had it setup so one student was working with Shnitzer on a stick welder, one with a senior on the OA cutting, one welding with the OA with a junior, and one using the MIG with me. Everything weld pretty smoothly, and they seemed to like it. There was one kid that was making everybody nervous while he was cutting with the OA. I am not going to get into details about why, but we all managed to make it out alive and the building is still standing.

I have only done about 10 overhead passes so far. They are not as bad as my verticals where, but they are not terrific.

• KennyP and marlboro180 have said thanks

#97 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Last Wednesday, Shnitzer handed me a binder. He told me to read it, then go fix the Plasma CAM! It was a 1 1/2 binder, that had chapters 5,6, and 7 of the operator's manual in it. The Plasma Cam was in one part of the shop, then it was taken apart and moved, but never hooked back up. He says that it is very complicated to get it all adjusted right and set-up, and that I was the only one with the diligence to go through it and make it operational.

I had read almost a third of it, between Wednesday study hall, home, and lunch on Thursday. Thursday, in lunch I was sitting alone reading the manual, and a table of freshmen thought they could get away with throwing stuff at the junior sitting alone. Long story short one kid got beat into a table. The best part is that I did not get in any trouble, which two of them did. I was grabbed by one of the security guards and brought to the security office; after I was there for a few minutes I had another guard (who I have conversations with often) go get my stuff that was still in the cafeteria. He came back with my book bag, but no binder. I explained to him what it was, then he and a custodian went to look for it; they could not find it. Friday was a snow day, and today there was no BOCES, so I have not told the teacher that I lost the manual yet. I do not know if that was the original copy, or if it was something he rescanned and put in the binder. The binder did not have any markings on it, other then the tag that said "Plasma CAM #1" which was in his handwriting, so I am hoping that he has another copy.

#98 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 03:26 PM

I told Shnitzer I lost the binder, and he did not care. That was one of three copies he had, and then the original made 4 copies. He gave me another so I can pick up where I left off.
  • KennyP and marlboro180 have said thanks

#99 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:36 PM

You're a very lucky guy, Ryan!  You've connected with a teacher much like the auto shop/metal work/welding teacher I had in HS.  Patient and truly interested in the kids that want to learn. 

("High five" BTW for the cafateria "situation control excercise"!  But, you didn't hear me say it!:D)

#100 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Shnitzer sounds like a well rounded educator that would not let his only copy of a manual out of the shop , even to a resposible student like yourself. Things happen, frosh get a beat down, and things get lost in the commotion.  :thumbs:

#101 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yesterday I got to school and told me my binder was in student services! Another student who was in the cafeteria saw I was sitting alone so he turned it in before it was taken, he just happened to miss my book bag sitting on the floor.

Yesterday I wanted to hook the Plasma CAM back up and I asked ONE student, Chris, to help; he used it quite a bit last year and knows it better then anybody else in the class (including the teacher) but still not very well. After just a few minutes there were 4 more people who came over to "help" us out. I became very irritated when another student was saying how he and Chris where the only ones who knew how to use it, and that next year when they are gone nobody will know what to do with it. I decided that they didn't need my help and I went to weld in my booth like I normally would. I was not surprised when the know it all had the Z-axis (torch height) set wrong and made the torch jolt out of the holder after it hit something. At this point Shnitzer went back to see what everybody was standing around doing, what the commotion was, and why I was not there. He got very mad when he found out they crashed the torch, and even madder when he found out why I was not there. Today he told me he would have left too if other people did that to him.

Today, Chris was the only one working with the Plasma CAM; I was working on a research project I am doing on the Hoover Dam. Chris had a problem and called me over, know it all was pretty mad that Chris didn't ask him for help. He was making some grate stops (just a rectangle with a slot cut out) for the Plasma CAM. For some reason the drawing on the computer had a small gap between the line for the slot, and the perimeter of the rectangle. When you convert your drawing into cut paths for the machine, it automatically offsets the cut path to compensate for the kerf, when Chris converted it into a cut path, the offset made the gap; it was actually not a problem at all. The table has raised points on it to keep the metal off of the grate, so the torch does not cut that too, because we where working with a piece of sheet metal that already had quite a bit of stuff cut out on it, there where not many of the raised points actually making contact, which caused it to sag. The sagging of the sheet made the distance between the torch tip and surface larger then it should have been; this threw everything off. We then ran out of time and had to stop there.

Tomorrow my school district gets out early, and there is no BOCES. There are 9 school districts that send to this BOCES, they all have normal days, so they will most likely get the grate stops cut out.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#102 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 03:23 PM

The last week or two I have been preparing for my DOT certification test. To get ready you weld on the inside of a piece of angle iron. It took me about 6-8 hours to do this one, and it is not even full! It is 2 1/2 inch (I think) angle, I have at least 75 passes in this one. These welds are not the prettiest, and would have no chance of passing the DOT, but that is what practice is for! These are vertical with 7018 rods.

70C83C09-A871-4C06-845A-9AA7F426BA5C-177

All of the heat causes the angle to draw inward, a LOT!

5E7D4987-D861-4677-80E9-B654A35CA03B-177

This week I was doing practice plates, not the angle iron. The practice plates are exactly the same as the real DOT plates, they are just cut a little shorter. I will have to take a picture Monday, it is harder to explain then I thought it would be. I will also have to take a picture of my welds, I am better now then I was with the pictures above.

#103 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 03:24 PM

I almost forgot, the DOT test is in approximately two weeks.

#104 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 04:22 PM

The weld on the far right is looking good. Looked like you had a smooth and consistent rhythm going there. Do to the lighting I can't see if there is any undercutting of the base metal or not. I'd say your coming along nicely and the rest of the welds look pretty good also.   :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans, April 12, 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#105 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Welds look pretty nice Ryan, just practice your starts and finishes . I like to short the rod almost out at the end to control the amperage droop . Not easily explained. what thickness coupon are you welding ?