• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:37 PM

How do you braze without a filler rod? Isn't that where the 'brazing' comes from?

#62 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:50 PM

No, you don't need filler. Same with TIG welding, filler rods are not required.

#63 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 05:53 PM

So are you just welding two pieces of metal together with the torch? I haven't heard that called brazing before. Brazing to me is using a brass filler rod to weld cast metal back together.
  • Cvans said thank you

#64 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 06:45 PM

:tapping_fingers: I have to agree with Kenny. I started brazing back in the early 70's. Everyone I've run into since use a brass filler rod to braze. It can also be done with other types fillers such as hard silver solder. The brazing processes that I am familiar with all require a flux also. You can weld with a torch and no filler and I agree with that but I have never heard that referred as brazing.

#65 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Ok, then I geuss my terminology is wrong! I geuss we where using an oxy-acetylene apparatus with a welding tip and no filler to join two pieces of metal together!
  • Cvans said thank you

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 08:16 PM

AHA! That I can do. Now I can understand what you were doing. Sounds like you did a good job for the first time around.
Filler rod for that can be bailing wire or metal coat hangers.

#67 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 10:55 PM

No filler rod, that is fusion welding. One is making a puddle of metal, where the parent metals can join together , with no filler being introduced be it brass, stainless, or any other metals, usually in harmony:-) GTAW, or Oxy... all good.

Ryan, sounds like you are doing well, keep up the good work!

Edited by marlboro180, November 07, 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#68 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:32 PM

I did some more oxy-acetylene welding again on Friday; I did some butt joints, they where not to bad.

Yesterday, I cut out the plates I needed to make the HITCH for the '71, using the oxy-acetylene.

Today, I ground down the rough edges on my far from perfect cuts. I then had to make some notches in two of the plates. I did not know what the best method to cut them was so I asked Mr. Shnitzer, he said to use the plasma cutter. I asked who I could have cut it for me... he said for me to do it!

He showed me what did what and then I left for a few minutes to go get a piece of angle for a guide and a clamp. I came back and one of the class slackers used the plasma cutter to cut one of my plates apart! I yelled at him (yelled) and then he walked away, Shnitzer then told me I was to easy on him! LOL! But, I did tell the student who cut my plate to go make me another, which he cut wrong anyway. So, I ended up having to do it myself anyway. After I had all of the plates I needed, each in one piece I got to cut the notches.

The first notch was horrid! The second, was near perfect! I don't know what happened on the first one, but it was terrible! Even though it looked pretty bad, it still fit like it should.

After I was done, Shnitzer told me to do the chapter questions in the text book so that I will know more about it and I will be able to use the machine at will.

Tonight was also "report card night." At Boces, you have to go to the school and pick up your report card. In the welding class I had a 92, in English I got a 79. My welding grade would have been higher, but my English grade pulled it down a few points.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#69 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Sounds like you and the welding are doing well. Congratulations on a decent grade in welding.

#70 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:03 AM

I just read your '71 PK post, and things are looking good. Congrats on a good grade and continued success in the class.

p.s Plasma cutters are cool! :D

#71 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I had been working on the hitch for a while now, but finished it earlier this week. Now, I can get back to doing other stuff.

Twice a week, I have a class called TCI, it stands for technical communications integrated (I think). The teacher for this class is also my teacher for English. The class is kinda hard to explain, since I don't really know the point of it myself. Sometimes we talk about English stuff, or there are days like today... where we talk about bridges, and why some have collapsed. But, we normally end up getting side-tracked... today we (this includes the welding teacher, and TCI teacher) ended up on the subjects of girls and gun rights.

After TCI we went into the shop as normal. What was not normal was that there was a lady there taking pictures of everybody. She was walking around and taking pictures of just about everybody. While I was welding with the OA I saw quite a few flashes go off, when I was done I looked up and she was standing there looking at the pictures on her camera screen. Then, surprisingly... she started to interview me! She had about 8 questions and after that she took my email, in case she needed more information. She snapped some more pictures, and talked to a few other people. She took a group picture of us, then left.

At the end of the day I was talking to the welding teacher and he asked if she interviewed me. I replied "Yes?" He then said "Good, I told her to." Of course that made me feel good, and I left it at that. I did not know what she was taking pictures for, so I asked my welding teacher. He said it was for some brochure to get people to join the program. I don't think I will get to see the finished product, but if I do I will make sure to share it with you all!
  • MH81, KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#72 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Wow, someday we will be able to say "I knew Ryan back before he was famous"

Good for you, getting some recognition for your hard work & dedicated efforts.

You did of course plug GTTalk, right??? LOL

#73 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Today the day started out by wasting about 45 minutes just BSing around, which is much better then a lesson. Then we went to work, but the teacher pulled me aside and wanted me to make him something. In a few weeks sophomore students will be visiting all of the classes at the BOCES center, to see if they want to enroll in a program there. The teacher said he likes to let the students run a pass with a 6013 so they can see if they like it or not. He wanted me to make something to hold a 1 1/2 coupon, so that when students stick the rod they can easily pull it off. He had an old one, but the coupon would come out if pulled the wrong way after sticking the rod. He was more concerned that the old one looked terrible, he wants possible students for next year to see better made products.

This is what I came up with. The coupon that is in the lower corner of the plate slides into the open side of the jig. I used some pieces of 22 ga. sheet metal as temporary shims while welding so that the coupon would have some wiggle room to go in and out easier. The teacher wanted me to make it small at first, so that is what I did. After I was done and he felt how light it was (that is how big he wanted me to make it) he wanted it to be heavier. He just had me cut some 1/2 plate into about a one foot square and tack it to that. For what ever reason, he did not want me to do full welds on it.

6D67FC55-96D4-4BF6-BC70-114E519CCDAF-203

After I finished it, of course I had to test it! :D So I put the coupon I used to test fit in there, and gave the rod a good stick! I pulled up... and I noticed how heavy that jig really was! It came loose, a few more sticks and everything worked as it should.

It is not perfect, actually VERY far from it. Although, I did make it in about an hour, so I can't complain to much. If I was going to put more time into it I would have been able to make it look more professional.

#74 Guest_Franz©_*

Guest_Franz©_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 03, 2013 - 02:54 AM

Ryan you bring back memories.  You also illustrate one of my greatest annoyances with the current system of teaching welding.  I'm as old school as it gets, and I continue to maintain the very first thing you should master is O/A welding.  It teaches the student what a weld is, how to put a weld in to a gap, and most importantly what puddle control is all about.  You learn a lot about puddle control when you shut the torch off, go grab a broom and sweep what you were sure you could get away with up off the floor.  As Red Clelland said back in 1952, the one and most important thing you need to know in welding is knowing when to STOP!  The second most important thing is knowing exactly where the fire extinguisher is.

Of course the bean counters dictating how educational time is spent these days don't see the numbers for teaching O/A, so it pretty much gets left behind.  They're so smart they fail to realize O/A doesn't even require a torch to teach, most of it can be learned with modeling clay and a stick before the goggles need to come out.  

Funny thing is we were once able to to hold an annual contest welding 4" gas pipe with O/A where 100 weldors competed for a pickup, and 1 drove it away.  About the time you climbed on your first school bus the contest ended because it was down to a handfull of weldors who could still do the job.  I often wonder what the prize is for the generation that looses the most skill and knowledge.  It frightens me when I see some of what passes for craftsmanship today.  BOCES is a system I'm well acquainted with.  Hopefully yours is superior to the 2 we have here where welding is currently being looked at as a program to be phased out, after all there are privately owned training centers teaching welding, and BOCES can make more money per student on information technology or even food service.  I spent a number of hours at BOCES 2 here backing a bud of mine who taught, and  two things I saw were the insufficiency of learning time available and administration that was unwilling to ship off the bodies that were only there to occupy desk space.  There are only around 360 hours of learning time in a BOCES year, and that leaves no space for screwing around.

Ol Shnitzer was pulling a fast one when he gave you 6013 to run.  It runs well with a very short arc, and rod position is fairly critical.  You don't run correctly the deposit will be brittle.  As you travel the road of life you'll meet many Welding Machine Operators who badmouth 6013, and prattle on about 7018 being superior which is why 7018 is the preferred cap rod on pipe and structural.  Ask them why 6013 is the preferred and specified rod in all pipeline in Europe and most of Asia.  6013 is burned every day in greater quantity than 7018.  You learn to burn 6013 you can retire the chipper and the sawblade, the flux rolls off.

Ask Shnitzer if he will show you how to cut stainless with an O/A torch.  If he says it can't be done tell him an old man with a gray beard said it can if you lay some mild steel strap on top and use the steel for the fuel to burn through the stainless.

#75 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 04:07 AM

Looks good Ryan! Keep up the good work!