• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Ryan, good for you! It'll be a useful ability whatever your vocation.

BTW, I have this piece of cast that's broken... J/K, good luck & have fun.

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:07 AM

, too bad I am a carpenter LOL.

If Marlboro showed you the pictures of him running an excavator, you would wonder what kind of carpenter he was. The guy does everything!

#33 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Well, thanks LD, I still need a plaque on the wall that reads :

" I work real slow, but I do really bad work and ain't the cheapest guy to hire... " LOL

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:01 AM

I got some welding in today! One of the seniors showed me what to do and how to get started. The hardest part for me was after getting an arc, contunuing the weld. I kept getting the electrode stuck to the steel. I got better, and I got a lot done actually. At the end of class, the instucter came to see how I was doing and asked if I have ever welded. I told him I use a mig a lot. He said he could tell I have welded, but never welded with a stick before. He was also surprised with how much I did, on the first day of welding most students make about 5 passes. I completly covered one side and about 2/3 of the other side, about 25-30 passes. You could see the passes I did first, and the ones I did last.

Once we get to the mig welders... then its my turn!

#35 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:49 AM

congrat's Ryan. Being able to lay down a good weld will really open up your door to fun hobbies. It's one of the handiest tools I've got.

#36 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:02 PM

That's great Ryan :-) Always good to have a teacher, mentor, instructor, whatever resource one might have.

My welding mentor got me going in the basics of whatever process I was using, and then would let me get into trouble with it. Then he would show me they way out, and then how to do a better job next time so I would not get into trouble. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours he spent with me, just to show his trade and expertise to a willing fellow tradesman and eager learner.

He and I still joke around with a saying he loves to preach to me....

" Give a man a fish, he eats for a night. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a liifetime. " My hat is off to Johhny who taught me how to fish.

I am sure your MIG skills will translate very quickly into the stick world, it is afterall, just molten puddles of metal we are moving about when welding. :-) Nice when the instuctor notices though, a fine job , and good on ya.,

Now,,, where's the pics ???? :wewantpics:

#37 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Sorry, no pictures today! If I don't take pictures, I can at least lie and say that my welds look good! :bigrofl:

I forgot before, the stick welders in the booths are Lincoln Idealarc 250 welders, Like the one below.

Posted Image

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:30 PM

I think that's almost the same as I used in school ag shop 37yrs ago! Not changed much in all that time!

#39 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:45 PM

We have two exactly like that at the mill! They are a work horse of a machine and run very smoothly! Once you learn the ins and outs of that one, You'll have trouble using any other welder LOL! It's like learning to drive in a BMW and going back to driving your Cavalier.

#40 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Welding class is going pretty well. I have gotten a lot better, still not great. With this I dug myself into a hole, the first welds where terrible so the passes over that where made even worse by the uneven surface. I have started to get them pretty even now and that is making it easier.

Posted Image

#41 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 10:43 AM

When your starting out it seems that each day you keep getting better and then Bamm, you'll have a day when you can't even get the rod in the stinger. Don't let that get you down. It's normal and everyone has those days. Just keep going and tomorrow you'll be making good progress again. Your welds are looking real good. Keep it up.

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Stick welding is so much different than mig. Keep the practice going, it''ll get better and better.

#43 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 03:28 PM

Class was great today; I had almost the whole shop to myself! The instructor only let people in the shop if they did not owe him any work. It was myself, and three others working today.

At the end of the day, I asked the teacher how I was doing and he said they are looking fantastic right now. Today's welds where much better then the ones in the picture. He told me that tomorrow I should stand up my work and try welding vertical some.
  • KennyP said thank you

#44 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,321 Thanks
  • 4,668 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 03:57 AM

Stick welding is so much different than mig. Keep the practice going, it''ll get better and better.

Just pushing puddles around.. You know if yo have the correct settings if it sounds like bacon frying is what my dad told me.. :D My uncle, who is a certified welder by trade, took a welding class as his company wanted the employees to take training classes.. The instructor asked the students if they could weld an aluminum can! He did it and got an "A"!!

Lilly's dad brought up a great point earlier- The fumes are dangerous! Be careful.. Post up more pictures as you learn! You might even give an old dog like me a few pointers! :smile1:

#45 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:39 PM

They all look good to me. Maybe because I rarely have to make my welding look good or because I'm too old to think i'll ever have to do it for a living. No worries on those welds. That's solid.