LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:40 AM

One thing I would caution you about welding. Be careful about chemical exposure. There are things you shouldn't burn and breath. I lost a friend to welding.
  • mjodrey said thank you

#17 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:40 AM

Yeah, even in knowing how to weld, I have to wonder how many more things or how much better I could have done by taking a class. Learning to weld gives you confidence in that you'll be able to complete builds. Good deal!

#18 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:47 AM

That is really cool, Ryan! Hope you are able to learn a lot of new things in the class!

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:10 AM

One thing I would caution you about welding. Be careful about chemical exposure. There are things you shouldn't burn and breath. I lost a friend to welding.

Yes,like Brake clean.Never use this product to de-grease before welding,because if the solvent in it burns,the smoke can kill you.

Edited by mjodrey, September 11, 2012 - 03:26 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Do not weld galvanized materials unless you have more than enough ventilation. Also welding in the presence of Freon will create Phosgene gas which is extremely toxic. For some reason this last one is seldom mentioned when discussing the hazards of welding .

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Thanks guys, I know this is something that I will enjoy doind and I plan to take advantage of it.

They have welding helmets for everybody. It is also set-up so everybody can be welding at one time! There are 20 welding booths and each has it's own arc welder, I don't know what happens when we get to welding with other types of welders, or if there are 20 of each kind of them also.

Today, I had to do 32 safety questions in the text book. I was able to finish them all today. So, now I can start to work and do things.

The class has both first year and second year students in it. And they are working on different projects. For first year students (juniors, like me) the first project is to do padding. We start with a 3/8 thick piece of steel that is 3 inches by 5 inches and you have to make "padding" on both sides to make it thicker.

EDIT:

I forgot, every welding booth has an exhaust pickup and all of the fumes and gasses from welding are blown outside.

Edited by Ryan313, September 11, 2012 - 02:22 PM.

• cookiemonster said thank you

#22 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks guys, I know this is something that I will enjoy doind and I plan to take advantage of it.

They have welding helmets for everybody. It is also set-up so everybody can be welding at one time! There are 20 welding booths and each has it's own arc welder, I don't know what happens when we get to welding with other types of welders, or if there are 20 of each kind of them also.

Today, I had to do 32 safety questions in the text book. I was able to finish them all today. So, now I can start to work and do things.

The class has both first year and second year students in it. And they are working on different projects. For first year students (juniors, like me) the first project is to do padding. We start with a 3/8 thick piece of steel that is 3 inches by 5 inches and you have to make "padding" on both sides to make it thicker.

EDIT:

I forgot, every welding booth has an exhaust pickup and all of the fumes and gasses from welding are blown outside.

Yep, you're on the right track. Even with the pickup make sure that the smoke cloud is not moving past your face on the way to the exhaust. Arc makes much more nasty smoke than flux core wire, which makes more nasty smoke than gas welding. When working at home, you can set up a fan to (lightly) blow right across the work as your arc welding or flux core welding. Though that will cause fits to gas welding because it's blowing away the gas that you need to keep the oxidation out of the weld. So what I do then is to put the fan at my back so it blows around me and very lightly takes the smoke away without disturbing the gas welding.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yes, I too lost a friend due to long term breathing of welding vapors. JoeJ, who was a member here till his passing this last March was a welder most all his life, and died young at 63 from lung complications. I sure miss him too!
  • KennyP said thank you

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:14 PM

But on the positive side Ryan, it's a great thing you're taking this course. Even if welding doesn't turn out to be your life's course, this class is going to make you skilled at most any type of welding. Now when you break a cast iron piece, you'll be able to put it back to one piece. Then there's aluminum, stainless, and all the different welding processes. You should much enjoy the class!

#25 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have been somewhat lucky so far,as I have been welding going on 30 years now. (knock on wood )

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,633 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 04:29 PM

Thirty years??!!! Maybe we should just say good bye now! Jeez! And I was just getting to know you.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 04:42 PM

I've been welding since I was in my late teens and I'm still around. Be 65 next birthday!

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Been welding since I was 12yrs old, and now about to hit 54. Lots different than a pro welder though. I may not weld a thing for weeks at a time.

#29 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 11:15 PM

Ryan, the fact that you are welding and learning is a great thing. Been welding stuff myself for years, arc, oxy, stick, , MIG and now TIG in DC and AC. Lot's of fun , and can make a darn good living doing it if one chooses to. This is not my profession, but I have been offered a job or two just to weld as such, too bad I am a carpenter LOL.

These bits were for a timberframe stucture I put up,.

Attached Thumbnails

• Steel work DGM (81).JPG
  • Steel work DGM (25).JPG
  • Steel DGM (6).JPG
  • Countertops cut and grind (17).JPG
  • grinders (1).jpg
  • Steel work DGM on site erecting timbers (23).JPG
  • Steel work DGM on site erecting timbers (8).JPG

Edited by marlboro180, September 11, 2012 - 11:26 PM.

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 12:21 AM

too bad I am a carpenter LOL

Nothing a welder hates more than a wood sliver. :smilewink:
From the looks of those welds your in the wrong profession. Nice.
The neighbor started me and his Son torch welding when I was ten. Now 62 and not on oxygen yet. Hate to think though how many welds I've made holding my breath because I couldn't get my head out of the smoke. Welding using a mirror is something I don't think I could do anymore. :( Cataracts and lack of practice takes it's toll. :mecry: That and getting flashed once or twice. Nah, I think it was only once.
  • marlboro180 said thank you