30 replies to this topic

#1 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm going to go pick up my new to me G4200 with the Z430 diesel this week. Owner say it runs but not really well. Said something just doesn't seem right. Been through a couple hands this way so I'm wondering if there's an online service manual for this engine. I downloaded the parts manual, and I've seen the tractor owners manual posted also but didn't figure it had the engine details. Things like injector pump timing and basic info related to testing injectors and the injection pump, etc. Hoping it's an easy fix. But don't know where to start on it when I get it here tomorrow. Don't know how long it's been sitting so I'm gonna make sure it has fresh clean diesel and fresh oil before trying anything. I'm actually buying just the engine, if the owner doesn't want the tractor, it'll be available here, either all or parts, for whoever needs anything. I hate scrapping stuff that someone else needs.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:46 PM

If cheap, I'd buy the whole tractor. Having all the electrical, plus radiator & all other related components is invaluable! Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter.
  • boostedbuick and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#3 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'm actually going to drag the whole tractor home to get the engine running good first, then use whatever I need off of it for the conversion. I haven't talked with the owner about the remains of the tractor. He kind of has a GT graveyard at his house so he may want to add to the collection or he might just want some stuff gone for a change instead of people adding to it. He has taught me a lot about small engines, he works in my fathers gas station repairing small engines and rebuilding automotive carbs, etc. He's handicapped and when people drag stuff out to his place it's always welcome but he has no way to organize it. It's up to him what happens with the tractor but I know I don't want it laying around after I get the engine. Someone will need a gearbox or something off of it.

But first I need to get it running good.

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:37 PM

If the hood is there I might be interested in that. We now have 3 g4200's and a g3200 in the family. The hoods for some reason take a beating. I have all the factory service manuals. If you can give me an idea as to what the problem is I can forward the information to you.
If he decides to give you the tractor and it has a good deck do NOT throw that away. The deck shells are worth almost as much as the tractors if it is not rusted out. People are always looking for them.
The first thing I would do is replace filters, available at NAPA, and then run a good injector cleaner though it.
  • boostedbuick said thank you

#5 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hood is there and the deck is leaning up against the wall. I will resize and upload some of the pics I took. I snapped a deck pic but had no interest in it, if I had known I would have actually looked at it. Will know this week either way.

102_1548 sized.jpg 102_1549 sized.jpg 102_1550 sized.jpg 102_1551 sized.jpg 102_1552 sized.jpg 102_1553 sized.jpg 102_1554 sized.jpg 102_1555 sized.jpg

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:56 PM

I would say from the pictures that the deck is a keeper.
If you look in the 5th photo you will see both the air filter housing and below it one of the fuel filters. And I think behind the right rear wheel is the other fuel filter. Near that fuel filter is your 12 volt fuel lift pump. When you get the battery in it and turn the key to the first position you should hear a ticking sound. That indicates that your lift pump is running. If you don't hear that find out why before proceeding as you will not get fuel to your injection pump. One thing in your favor is that it is not a hydro which means it is worth considerably less. The clutches on those can be a bugger to get operating properly.
I'd be interested in the hood and grille if the time comes that you end up with everything.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 04:36 AM

Yeah,that deck looks in great condition.Up here it is really hard to find a deck for one of those that isn't rusted full of holes.

#8 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:42 AM

I was wondering if it was equipped with a lift pump. That answers some questions.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 08:26 AM

I was wondering if it was equipped with a lift pump. That answers some questions.

Yes, the pump & filter are above the right rear axle housing. Mine got to running poorly, and I found the small filter right next to the pump was all clogged up. New filter & she was like new again!

#10 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I got it home last night but been too busy for pic resizing and such. Hood is curled up in the front and the grille is cracked. Both are fixable but nothing to get excited over. Deck is rust pitted but not rotted through anywhere that I could find. I didn't take the deck home with me, he said he put some new parts on it planning to rig it up on a 3 point for a rear mower setup. He said if anyone else is gonna get the deck he wants his $50 back out of it. (He's smart enough to make the rear deck thing work but I'm not sure why he would.)

Ok full story on the motor as it was told to me:
Guy in texas overhauled the motor a few years ago. It hasn't been used since because it hasn't ran right since. He gave it to a guy who used to live down there and that guy drug it home to KS. He enlisted the help of the guy I bought it from (the small engine guy). This was 2 years ago. Small engine guy replaced all filters as well as all fluids, verified lift pump was working and other misc. things. He figured it to be an injector pump timing issue but didn't have the proper manuals to mess with it. Owner said he'd locate some manuals (he had big plans for this thing). He never got a round tuit and had to go job chasing across country again, so he gave it to small engine guy for his troubles. I purchased from small engine guy for $100. He says he doesn't care either way what happens to the rest of the tractor but I should give it back if no one else wants it (he doesn't like good parts going to scrap either.)

So in short, I paid money to take over someone elses headache, but I figured I've whizzed away $100 on dumber things and this is my only chance at an affordable diesel. If you never fail you will never succeed!

Help?! :confuse:

#11 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:21 PM

....but seriously. I'm thinking along the same lines as him. Maybe a compression check (how high should it be?) and a check of injector pump timing, then a full fuel system bleed. If that fails have the injectors checked out even though it was claimed that it ran fine prior to rebuild other than smoking or oil comsumption or something along those lines. Hour meter reads 700 hours but the wear on the steering gear tells me that the hour meter hasn't been hooked up.

#12 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 11:48 PM

I couldn't find a free online engine manual for this engine so I bought one (in PDF form) and uploaded it here for safekeeping. Enjoy!
  • TheFarm2004 said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 12:02 AM

Your not going to loose much if any of your $100.00. I would have done that in minute. The radiator and screen should get you most of that back if your any good at all at marketing your parts.
The steering gears (more than likely the bushing) could be worn in 700 hours. It's running down in all the dirt you stir up and there is really no way to lube it. Most of these don't have as many hours on them as the meter shows because if you leave the key on one time between mowings you can run up a bunch of hours and you don't need to turn the key off to kill the engine. I've caught myself a couple of time almost doing this.
Don't forget to check that lift pump and make sure it is working. I would also bet that the fuel filter by the pump wasn't changed when the others were.
Keep us updated.

#14 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 07:53 AM

He did specifically say that he replaced both fuel filters. I know he found the lift pump and the filter is right there, doesn't exactly look like a factory filter. Next few nights are busy so who knows when I'll get to it.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Factory filter at the pump was just a small canister type, maybe 2 1/2" long similar to many on gas garden tractors.