#1 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:47 PM

Bought this gem a few weeks ago, and decided I want to build a puller out of it.

I believe that it is a Speedex Model S-19

Here is a view of the stance from the front

frnt view.jpg

Here is the rear, with the lift. (The lift mech will be left operable so I can use it in PAPD.)

rear view.jpg

Here is the motor mount. (I have yet to decide if I will use the slide clutch or make a tension clutch.)

frnt axle.jpg

Here are the rear drive pulleys.

trans pulleys.jpg

Here is the other side of the trans. I believe it has 1-4, and reverse.

trans view.jpg

Here are the wheels, and the weights that came with the tractor. I believe I will leave them on.

wheel weights.jpg

And here are two pictures of the engine. I believe that it is an 8hp Briggs, and I have not decided if I am going to use it, or go with a Kohler. Which ever one I pick will have a smaller drive pulley also.

motor frnt.jpg motor back.jpg

Please let me know any tips or concerns you may have. Thanks.

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Very nice jem you got there! Do you have the sheet metal to go with it? Check with your local club as far as rules to see what you can and cant do. My concern would be the tranny exploding because of the stresses and amount of weight youd be pulling that and possiable belt slip. Ive always run cub cadets but hopefully she proves me wrong :thumbs:

#3 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Very nice jem you got there! Do you have the sheet metal to go with it? Check with your local club as far as rules to see what you can and cant do. My concern would be the tranny exploding because of the stresses and amount of weight youd be pulling that and possiable belt slip. Ive always run cub cadets but hopefully she proves me wrong :thumbs:

I don't think I'll have problems. It came with the belt guard, fenders, and hood, but I took them off to work on. I plan to run this in the stock class. My tires are illegal for anything else in my local club. I can have anything up to 16hp, but I think I'll start with 10-12. I don't expect to win, but just to mess around. I don't think I'll have a problem with slipping, as it has tension adjustments on the motor sled. As for the trans blowing up, I don't plan to weigh it down to the point where it won't move. Its a sturdy trans though. The same one used in the old Sears Customs, JD 110/112 RF's and some other ones.

(Its nice to see a member so close to home!)

Edited by DaneinPA, September 09, 2012 - 08:22 PM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Looks like a good start Dane! Keep us posted on your progress! I know that a lot of folks balk at the belt drives when it comes to pulling, but I think as long as your in the stock classes, it will do just fine and probably even be competitive. I can understand the need for shaft drive in the modified and super modified classes though.

#5 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Looks like a good start Dane! Keep us posted on your progress! I know that a lot of folks balk at the belt drives when it comes to pulling, but I think as long as your in the stock classes, it will do just fine and probably even be competitive. I can understand the need for shaft drive in the modified and super modified classes though.

Yeah, in Mod classes they need to be Cubs or Deere, and they need to be shaft drive. In stock classes, you hardly need it. Your more likely to break something in the trans, and the the engine with a shaft drive, with a belt if something goes wrong you smoke or break it. That and I like a $20 Kevlar drive belt better than a $60+ driveshaft.

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Never said belts were bad I just enjoy the shaft drive because ive always trusted them especially on my prostock diesel. Best of luck though and dont forget to add pics of the rebuild! All of us would like to see how she comes along. I used to run up to somerset to pull at listie grove to pull with them up there. Just dont care for their brake sled anymore.

#7 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Never said belts were bad I just enjoy the shaft drive because ive always trusted them especially on my prostock diesel. Best of luck though and dont forget to add pics of the rebuild! All of us would like to see how she comes along. I used to run up to somerset to pull at listie grove to pull with them up there. Just dont care for their brake sled anymore.

I've watched them pull down there. I pull friends tractors with the Allegheny Mini-Tractor Pullers.

(Wasn't saying you were putting belters down, its just almost everyone thinks cubs are the best at everything.)

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 05:42 AM

I have seen a lot of different pulling and they both work wonderfully, belt drives are smooth on engagement and discs are violent if you want them to be . That's about the only thing I see different. Oh and there is a slight HP disadvantage from pulleys but it is slight. Good luck on the build and remember, lots of pics!
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 05:47 AM

I will be watching this build.Good start to the project.

#10 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 12:50 PM

Looks like you have a great start on it! Never seen a Speedex puller before! Good luck with it!

#11 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 04:11 PM

I tore into the Briggs a bit tonight. The motor ran, but would miss a lot and was very weak. When I got it, it had no spark so I used another mag that I had to get it going.

Here is it getting ready to remove the head to check for carbon build-up.

0910121559.jpg

Here is me ready to remove the head.

0910121607.jpg

Here is the nasty head.

0910121611.jpg

Here are the very nasty valves.

0910121611a.jpg

Here is it on the bench for test starting.

0910121632.jpg

I had a video of it running, but my CPU wouldn't play it so I'll get one tomorrow. It runs quite strong now. I think some carbon was keeping the exhaust valve open too far. I'll be mounting it to the tractor after I get some new bolts.

The engine is leaking oil from somewhere, but I am not worried about it right now. This engine will just be used for a while until I can get a better one put together. I need to repair the hood and belt guard, then figure out weight...

#12 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 06:36 PM

That definitely will be a very classy puller, and one you don't see very often. Even if it doesn't win, I bet it will be a crowd favorite! :thumbs:

Matt
  • Dane in PA said thank you

#13 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 06:58 PM

That definitely will be a very classy puller, and one you don't see very often. Even if it doesn't win, I bet it will be a crowd favorite! :thumbs:

Matt

Thanks, thats what I'm going for! I can't wait to get it going. Eventually it will be repainted, and I plan to keep *almost everything stock. I think I'll separate the engine and hood so they are not one unit though...

#14 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Took a better video tonight. No other work though...

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 04:58 PM

Good Luck, Dane! Above all, have fun with this!