• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:31 PM

I bought an HM80 snowblower engine to replace the beat engine on my MF8. Somewhere I got the idea that it would work as a replacement for the electric start 8. It is a good starting non smoking engine with no sign of HG leakage and I got it for 60$. Started the conversion work and got down to the flywheel. Took off the nut and the shaft looked larger than the old engine. Pulled the flywheel and sure enough , different bore so I can't use the old flywheel with the magnets. I had intended to convert the engine to points ignition and use the old flywheel and coils. The crank on the blower engine does not have a lobe to run points.
I may have to re assemble this engine, giving it the once over and re sell it, but then I'm without power for the 8 again. Is there a flywheel with magnets and coils that would allow one of these engines to charge the battery?

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:59 PM

That's too bad Brian.I can't answer about the flywheel.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:05 PM

wish I had an answer for you.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:49 PM

What model is the original engine?

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's an HM80 as well Daniel, just an early vintage. The original block was replaced at some point with a short block and that is toast. I think it is cracked. It had a lot of oil all over the cylinder fins and the cylinder wall is lined and you can feel them with your fingernail. It was running with a piece of foam shoved in where the air filter should be. I'm sure it sucked in lots of dirt.
I could put it together with the snowblower motor and have manual start or keep the battery in it for electric start but there would be no way to charge it. I don't know if the cranks would exchange but that is a pile of work. I guess I'll keep working on the chassis for now until I can figure something out. Got the paint stripped off the hood and fender deck and getting it prepped for MF red.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Brian,
I think the cranks will exchange, but if the old one had a short block done, what's it's condition? Is it 10 under, etc...

As long as you're not starting it every ten minutes, one charge should last you a very long time. Spark will be self generated, so no draw beyond the starting. If you get to the point of assembly and havent found a replacement, you can always put it in for now & then sell it when you find a replacement you're happier with.

What size is the shaft on the new one? Spec # on the new one? and does it have a governor? (Ive seen a lot of Teccy Tillers and snow blowers with those pieces missing or never installed.)

One more Q, if the flywheel side is wrong, what about the output shaft? are they both the same size?

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Brian,
I think the cranks will exchange, but if the old one had a short block done, what's it's condition? Is it 10 under, etc...

As long as you're not starting it every ten minutes, one charge should last you a very long time. Spark will be self generated, so no draw beyond the starting. If you get to the point of assembly and havent found a replacement, you can always put it in for now & then sell it when you find a replacement you're happier with.

What size is the shaft on the new one? Spec # on the new one? and does it have a governor? (Ive seen a lot of Teccy Tillers and snow blowers with those pieces missing or never installed.)

One more Q, if the flywheel side is wrong, what about the output shaft? are they both the same size?

Alan, thanks for the response. I knew going in that the output shaft would be smaller (3/4 vs 1") but was going to buy new pulleys to fix that. Good point about the old engine. It is pretty cooked. I wonder what it's like to buy a used tractor with a good engine LOL! The SB engine has a governor and the price was right. It's old, probably from the 80's but I don't think there are a lot of hours on it. The original plug is still in it. Someone on here told me you could exchange the snowblower engine, but I don't think I specified the fact that it was an electric start MF8 with headlights. It would be a pretty easy switch for a manual start tractor. You are right that with a decent battery a charge would last a while because the lights probably won't be used much. The problem is I plan to sell this after it's done and this just lowers the value. I keep dumping money and time into it and I've about reached my limit. Right now I'm trying to prep the red parts for paint and I've put the engine issue aside til I figure out what to do.