9 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well, I had been looking for quite awhile and finally found my first Panzer for my collection. It's a T70B (serial number 81165 - anyone know what year it is?) that someone has painted using a red wine/black colour combination. It came with a front blade, but no other attachments. I also have the little toolbox for it, although it isn't on the tractor at the moment. Sorry about the less than stellar pictures. I'll take more once I get it off the trailer.

I think that overall, it's in great condition and should be a good, straightforward restoration project. The plan is to restore the tractor back to original. Luckily, the previous owner very nicely sandblasted the tractor before painting it, and did a really nice paint job. That should make painting it the right colours much, much easier thanks to less prep.

It definitely needs new front tires. I also have another hood for it that doesn't have all the small holes in it and hasn't been slightly cut out on top. Was the setup to engage the belts/pulleys with your foot, in addition to the hand activation, optional? I haven't seen that on all Panzers before, so I wondered if it was an option.

I don't think it's the right Briggs in it. Right now it has the 7hp Briggs model that I believe was used in the T75, Briggs model 170402, serial number 6611161 (which makes it a 1966 motor I guess). It's my understanding that the T70, which the tractor is, used the 6hp Briggs, model 142302. Am I correct? Should my tractor have the 142302 6hp Briggs? If I'm right, then it's nice that at least the replacement motor is in the right family, and I guess I can use it until I find the right motor for the tractor, but I do want to find the right motor for the tractor.

Is there anything else you, my Panzer experts, can tell me about the tractor? Anything I'm missing or need to know? This is my first Panzer and I'm eager to learn about them.

I must say that I am in awe of the quality of these Panzers, and that this little guy has me thinking about collecting just Panzers. They're amazing! I might have to sell my Beaver and my Gibson to free up space and cash to hunt for more Panzers. They're not very easy to come by up here though....

Thanks for looking!

DSCN2790.JPG
DSCN2791.JPG
DSCN2792.JPG
  • Clint said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Congrat's. That's a nice looking Panzer. All the hard work of sandblasting has been done for you so changing colours will be an easy job. Maybe it's just me but the red paint seems to make that rear end look even more enormous than usual!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Congratulations,that's a nice looking old Panzer.

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Congrats on your first Panzer, I'm no expert, just a fan from a distance. They look so heavy on muscle and light on skin. Don't know where they would be plentiful, specially in such good shape. Lots o' luck on this and the next,and the next,and the next...
Pretty sure the other Panzer guys will stop by to help you along. ENJOY!!! :orangecool: :thumbs:

#5 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Good find there .....

#6 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 04:40 AM

Congratulations on your Panzer. The foot pedal was an option. I'm not sure about the engine and year. Dandy Sales still has parts available for the Panzers. I like the color scheme. The turquise color really stands out in a crowd though. Welcome to the club.

#7 willy OFFLINE  

willy

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8423
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Good looking Unit , Don't sell the beaver

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 01:45 PM

Nice find.
The good part of it is that it looks like someone loved it at one time, so it should serve you well.
The T70s original engines do get a lot of people saying they were underpowered, so consider that before insisting on an original engine. Depends on what you want to use it for.

Looks like someone may have notched out the hood to fit a replacement gas tank. Not a big deal, the fact that it has a good gas tank is a plus on one of these - it's one of the toughest things to find something to fit.

#9 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Nice find.
The good part of it is that it looks like someone loved it at one time, so it should serve you well.
The T70s original engines do get a lot of people saying they were underpowered, so consider that before insisting on an original engine. Depends on what you want to use it for.

Looks like someone may have notched out the hood to fit a replacement gas tank. Not a big deal, the fact that it has a good gas tank is a plus on one of these - it's one of the toughest things to find something to fit.

For the most part, I'll just be using the tractor to drive around the neighbourhood, take my kids for rides, and take to the shows. It likely won't get worked, although I was wondering about using it to clear my driveway of snow in the winter. We'll see though. It may take me a long, long time to find the right engine anyway. I'll likely be using that Briggs indefinitely.

I was wondering if that's why the hood was notched. A replacement gas tank was my only idea as to why they may have done it. The gas tank that's in there now looks like the same one I just saw the other day on a T70 with the Kohler. Maybe that's what they used.

Thanks for all the comments so far, everyone!

#10 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 03:22 PM

Good looking Unit , Don't sell the beaver

I know. I'm really torn about the Beaver. They're hard to come by too, especially a nice one at a decent price (which mine was). Same for my Gibson. It's a model SD, another hard to find machine. I'll take my time thinking about it. I don't want to have any regrets, so I'm in no hurry.