Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd Lt133 Drive Belt Questions (my First Riding Mower)

belt lt133 john deere tensioner spring idler pulley guide

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shaar OFFLINE  

Shaar
  • Member No: 11457
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hi everyone!

This is my first riding mower, as my yards have never been large enough to justify upgrading from a push mower. My parents had decided to upgrade to a zero turn, so this John Deere LT133 made its way to my household. Its been taken care of relatively well, and hasn't given much of a problem the 12 years its served my family... until now.

The repair place that did the maintenance recently changed the drive belt, and ever since, it would kick off the pulleys and make the tractor immobile. So i decided to tear into it and do some investigating.

1) I noticed the idler pulley near the main engine pulley was separated. I swung by a JD dealer and picked that pricey guy up for about $32 and got that installed. Upon installing it, I noticed that the tensioner spring was attached to the guide nearest the engine pulley (orange arrow). I moved it to the idler pulley where it belonged (yellow arrow), and had to remove the guide and bend it back into shape since the spring was pulling so hard on it. *grumble* My question is, what angle is the guide supposed to be locked down at? There are no markings indicating the correct position, and I don't want excess stress or wear on the belt. I also need to make sure it doesn't allow the belt to contact the edge of the frame (red arrow).

Posted Image

2) The belt on the mower was shredded, so i had to cut it off and get a new one. I'm attempting to reroute it back onto all the pulleys, but had a question regarding what to remove. I obviously removed the tensioner spring and loosed the pulleys. I'm having trouble routing the belt above this "other" spring (red arrows). The belt needs to be on the other side of it. Do i need to remove this spring? And how? Or is there another way around this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3) Last question: The mower recently started surging at idle. My dad gave it to me indicating it may have some old fuel in it. Could this be causing surging? Or am I looking at rebuilding the carb? Would anyone recommend siphoning out the tank, put some fresh gas in with maybe some seafoam or the like?

I hope someone has some helpful advise for me, i'm looking forward to bringing this thing back and putting it to work in the yard where it belongs :) Here's a few photos after I started polishing out the plastic on the hood the other night. Trying to make it glow once again!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.I'm not a JD guy but someone will be along shortly to help you.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 05:19 AM

Welcome to the forum! No JD guru here. Give the JD folks a bit to see this.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Welcome!

Since I don't know much about the LT line I looked on JDParts.com and found this pic. NOt sure if it will help or not.Posted Image

#5 Shaar OFFLINE  

Shaar
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Welcome!

Since I don't know much about the LT line I looked on JDParts.com and found this pic. NOt sure if it will help or not.Posted Image

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I don't see the spring in question in this belt diagram, but I appreciate the linked image!

I'm going to try and remove the spring I guess tonight - I still can't see any other option to get the belt over it. I still have a feeling i'm missing something since no guides i've found online mention anything about a second spring needing to me removed.

#6 Shaar OFFLINE  

Shaar
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Update: I got the belt on and its working great! (I had to remove the PTO spring - now i need to figure out how to get it back on :) ) Next i need to figure out the surging issue. Might have to rebuild the carb since its never been serviced during its 12 years of service.

Edited by Shaar, September 11, 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Welcome to the friendliest GT site around.

As long as the fuel has been properly treated before storage the carb should not be an issue.

#8 Shaar OFFLINE  

Shaar
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:08 AM

I took the carb off, cleaned it, and put a new needle and gaskets on ($11 from John Deere, not bad). Fired it up and got a big plume of smoke, and after that, she runs like a champ! Time to squeeze another decade of work out of this little tractor :)

Thanks everyone! Now i'm off to figure out if i want to use the bagger that i've got, or invest in a mulching kit. Anyone have the mulching kit for sale? :p

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Good deal!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: belt, lt133, john, deere, tensioner, spring, idler, pulley, guide