• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 11, 2010 - 09:12 PM

I've been trying to figure a way to go electronic without costing small fortune. I looked into converting and into COP (coil on plug), but either one is pretty high. What I would recommend is a Ford TFI ignition module with a GM DIS coil. The TFI module has the highest peak current and best dwell control of any OEM module, and it can be triggered by your points.

You want the earlier gray module not the black one. Originally they were mounted directly to the distributor but Ford eventually figured out that they would last longer if mounted to a heat sink away from the engine (duh). It's easy to find the gray modules on distributors and black modules on heat sinks.

All you have to do is cut the three pins off the top of the distributor mount module and it will bolt to the heat sink. Wiring instructions can be found here; http://gofastforless...gnition/tfi.htm .

The DIS coil can be found on just about every distributorless GM car. They originally mounted directly to the ignition module so you have to get creative when hooking it up. When my buddy built the ignition system on his bike, he just hacked up a DIS module to make a mount for the coil. http://xs650temp.pro...ead=7899&page=1 An alternative would be to cut some strips of copper the same width and thickness as the original pins. Shove them in the holes in the bottom of the coil and bent them over so they stick out the side. Then you could either solder wires to them or slide on female quick disconnects

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 14, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for posting this, it might come in handy when it comes time to rewire the Bolens 800. I remember there being a little bit of a wiring mess going on with the ignition and if I am going to have to redo it then I wouldn't mind going electronic on it.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 07:35 PM

The TFI module has the highest peak current and best dwell control of any OEM module, and it can be triggered by your points.

I thought one of the reasons to go with electronic ignition was to do away with the points.

#4 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 26, 2010 - 06:22 AM

No not always, just make the firing more reliable. Chevy's EI did eleiminate points, Chrysler did not both where very poular and successful

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 06:34 AM

That is good to know.