Garden Tractor Forums banner

What Small Engine Is Easiest To Modify For Performance?

19K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  boostedbuick 
#1 ·
Rather generic question, I know. But I'm looking to repower a mini dozer and need input. Looking in the neighborhood of a 10-14hp horizontal shaft single cylinder gas engine. Most of that criteria can be ignored, but it HAS to be able to fit inside the frame of the dozer (haven't measured yet). I'm no stranger to adding power to engines, but never tinkered much with small engines. Didn't know if I needed to stay with one certain brand/model/era to have off the shelf options for hop up parts and be able to do it on a reasonable budget (no multi-thousand dollar ideas please).

I like the originality of the dozer, but that 7hp tecumseh is lame. Needs freshened anyway, might as well shelve it and build something fun. Something high compression. Really high compression. Leaded racing fuel compression. What do those junior dragsters run for engines?

I'm brainstorming at this point so feel free to reality check me. But SOMETHING is going to happen to it.

#2 ·
Alrighty well if your using an engine for a dozer i'd go with a kohler flathead 16hp and put a high compression head on it. Here's a few companies to look at for power.
http://www.nicholsperformance.net/
http://www.midwestsupercub.net/
http://www.vogelmanufacturing.com/shop/

I always run kohler gas engines because there a good hard working brand and theyve never left me down. There very easy to upkeep and are heavy duty. No carb tuning or high idles or any sorts of problems that ive encountered.

#3 ·
I would say either the kohler flat heads, or the honda clone engines (much as it pains me to say that....
)
I base this statement on the fact that these two engines are arguably the most hopped up engines around, and there are plenty of sources and knowledge on how to rod them.

The kohlers are bulletproof and the rigidity of the block is often used by the pulling folks. But the head design doesn't breath as well as an ohc design. For an example of what can be done, go to Brian Miller's cub cadet site.

The honda clone motors are widely used by the go-kart folks. You can buy ANYTHING to up the power of these if you have the wallet... The engine design makes more efficient power than the kohler design. But I don't think they have the longevity of the heavier overbuilt kohlers.

#6 ·
The Kohlers and Honda clones couldn't be more different but both suggestions are good ones. The Kohlers are built strong and are easy to rebuild and work on. The 12,14 and 16 share the same block and it seems to me that the 12's seem to hold up better perhaps because they do not produce as much heat and have more metal left in the block. I've seen a lot of people searching for 14 and 16 hp Kohlers up here including myself. I have one with a cracked block which seems to be a common problem if the engine cooling fins are not kept cleaned out. It may come down to space considerations. The 2 designs are different shapes and the Kohlers are tall while the Hondas are lower and deep front to back due to the almost horizontal cylinder layout. They make big HP by revving them up to much higher RPM's than the rated 3600.

#16 ·
The Kohlers are built strong and are easy to rebuild and work on. The 12,14 and 16 share the same block and it seems to me that the 12's seem to hold up better perhaps because they do not produce as much heat and have more metal left in the block.
Brian, I hate to bust your bubble, but the 12 Hp K301 is not the same block as a 14 Hp K341, the head bolt pattern is a dead giveaway. Also, the 12 Hp K301 shares the same block as the 10 Hp K241. I have never owned a 16 Hp Kohler, so I am not even going to try to guess there. Just wanted to clear up Kohler confusion.

#7 ·
The junior dragsters are usually limited to the 5 hp B&S horizontal engines and there are several companies that sell aftermarket high performance parts but they don't come cheap..

Folks are getting over 50 hp out of the Kohler K341 engines. There are turbochargers and even superchargers built for them but the big horsepower numbers come with very high prices. A couple of companies, Jones is probably the best known, that machine steel blocks for the K341 with no cooling fins that can cost over $5000 for a used one.

#10 ·
In your search for 'more power', don't forget the drive train of the the crawler. Too much power can be a real bad experience.

#12 ·
Thanks for all input so far. LOTS of help. I am going to go digging. I know of at least 3 places to go small engine hunting around here, so this gives me ideas. These kohler engines being mentioned. How old are they? Virtually all of my small engine selection is going to be old engines. Thought about putting a "crate motor" brand new engine in it, but I can freshen an old one for much less and add more power later if I still need more. The belt drive system in the dozer is going to be the eventual limit. Once I lose ability to transfer the power, adding more of it won't help me any. Think of this as a "strong foundation I can add to later, if necessary" engine search.

#13 ·
My Struck mini dozer has a 14 horse K series Kohler. There is no need for that much power although the cool factor is way up there.

I can, and have snapped the drive chain finding an immovable object under the surface. The K321 is a very tight fit in the frame. I didn't build mine - bought it already converted. If I were to do one and leave the drivetrain stock, an 8 horse K series would be my engine of choice.
Good luck!

#14 ·
These guys are giving you some excellent advise. All the power in the world will do you no good if you just keep breaking the drive train. If you really want high compression and increase the kool factor put a small 6hp.diesel in there. Also if you decide to go with the Kohler I will second the notion of using the 12 hp. When you go to the 14hp and up the vibration factor increases quite a bit.
Black diesel smoke and an old Cat just go together though.

#15 ·
Yeah but where would I find a cheap diesel? I'd love a small diesel, TORQUE is what I really need here, the ability to keep itself from bogging down under load. Once the RPMs drop under load this tecumseh just gives up.

The drive chain that was snapped, is that the 40 series chain in the back that drives the track sprockets?

#17 ·
In fact there are a few 10 hp K blocks that are really 12 hp block, just bored smaller.

Also I believe the 14 hp blocks the cylinder is bored off center, so it has a slight offset.

#18 ·
I love it when a decision is made for me. 2 phone calls netted me a very likely engine swap candidate:

A kubota Z430 12 hp twin cylinder water cooled diesel!

Went and looked at it today, OF COURSE I GOT PICS!

Anyway the whole tractor is there (well most of it anyway). Kubota G4200 if you want to google it. Small engine tinkerer has it. Says it runs but it doesn't run quite right and he doesn't know much about them. Says $100 will own it, so I pretty much already bought it. Tape measure eyeball method says it'll fit, IF I cut about a 4X6 hole in the belly pan for the oil pan to protrude. Modifying that area of the dozer (where it will never be seen) doesn't bug me too much. Radiator will fit the grillle opening but the mechanical fan will have to go if I am to turn it sideways. Lil electric fan might have to do, with a switch to keep the current drain to a minimum.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Machine Nut

Attachments

#20 ·
Trust me when I say you don't want the oil pan hanging out underneath a crawler. There will be very little ground clearance as it is and the pan will make a lousy skid plate. If you need clearance your much better off adding a scoop to the hood.

#21 ·
It's funny you should mention that. The oil pan will stick down about 2 inches under the engine mount pad, but that part of the dozer floor actually sits up a bit from the rest of the bottom. Hard to describe, but it's not going to be the lowest point on the crawler. A good skid plate is probably still a good idea though.

#24 ·
In this area there are at least 3 people looking for K321's on Kijiji. 2 for a JD314 and one for an Ariens GT. I know that on my tractor the PO let the engine get so plugged up with grass that it must have been running very hot. I think this seals the fate of a lot of these engines. They also tend to carbon up around the exhaust valve and that doesn't help matters when it gets to extreme amounts. The carbon was eating into the top of the piston on mine. They will run a lot of hours if properly cared for. Someone locally s trying to sell a twin cylinder Kohler from a sawmill with 6600 hours on it. They have replaced the engine but say the old one still runs although it burns a lot of oil. I thought only a diesel could run that many hours.

#25 ·
Well, I know when I get to the 14 HP Kohler I can't hardly get the right model number, I mean I called it a 341, not 321.... I dunno, I just know to pull the head, clean the carbon, make sure shrouds are clean, and I run Gumout in all my tractors whether they need it or not. That Gumout does wonders for the ability to idle any engine down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.