• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Frankentractor OFFLINE  

Frankentractor
  • Member No: 11526
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Bolens 1050 that recently has started making a very noticeable "clack" when engaging the clutch. It seems to happen in all gears, including reverse, and it happens both when the pto is engaged and disengaged. Is this a problem with a thrust washer/bearing in the clutch or what? The brake works fine and there don't seem to be other unusual noises. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This is a great forum and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Its hard to say exactly what it could be without actually being there in person ,but I'm guessing it could be your bonded coupling attached to the driveshaft (Picture 1) or your bearing inside the clutch assembly. (Picture 2) These can make some odd noises when they finally go bad.

I have attached pictures to give you an idea of where to find the potential problem areas

Attached Thumbnails

• 12 002.JPG
  • clutch 003.JPG

#3 Frankentractor OFFLINE  

Frankentractor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for the reply Bolens 1000! I'm guessing that the bonded coupling issue would be a more critical issue than the clutch bearing? I've downloaded the parts catalog from this site (thank you again) and I'm thinking that the clutch bearing is part #1185201 or #1185275 - is this correct? Also, what is the best method of determining if my problem is the driveshaft issue or the clutch issue? Sorry to be such a newb but I have very little experience with garden tractor drivetrains.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thank you for the reply Bolens 1000! I'm guessing that the bonded coupling issue would be a more critical issue than the clutch bearing? I've downloaded the parts catalog from this site (thank you again) and I'm thinking that the clutch bearing is part #1185201 or #1185275 - is this correct? Also, what is the best method of determining if my problem is the driveshaft issue or the clutch issue? Sorry to be such a newb but I have very little experience with garden tractor drivetrains.

There are actually 2 bearings in the clutch assembly the Large one I posted a picture of is # 1704479 There is also the smaller self aligning bearing in the front of the assembly # 1185587

The numbers you gave above are the Bronze bushings that are inside of the clutch pulley (These rarely go bad but in some cases they wear out due to not periodically oiling them from time to time.)

To test what could be causing your problem, Start the tractor and then push your clutch all the way in. If you do not hear the noise you can cross off the front self aligning bearing and bronze bushings as being your problem. When you let up off the clutch and hear the noise then, it is either the large bearing (1704479) or Bonded coupling.

Just to be clear, Are you hearing this noise when the tractor is in neutral or when it is moving? Or both?

#5 Frankentractor OFFLINE  

Frankentractor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'm hearing the noise when I let off the clutch to get it in motion (when it is in gear). If I let off the clutch in neutral I don't hear the noise.

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 11:05 PM

I'm hearing the noise when I let off the clutch to get it in motion (when it is in gear). If I let off the clutch in neutral I don't hear the noise.

Is the noise continuous, or only once as the clutch is released?

Does the tractor "skip" or "jerk" while it is moving?

It is possible that the iron coupling is worn, and is loose on the input shaft of the transmission. (It is fastened to the bonded rubber coupling (#1716561).

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:37 AM

Frankentractor,I just wanted to say welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Welcome to GTT!

#9 Frankentractor OFFLINE  

Frankentractor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Is the noise continuous, or only once as the clutch is released?

Does the tractor "skip" or "jerk" while it is moving?

It is possible that the iron coupling is worn, and is loose on the input shaft of the transmission. (It is fastened to the bonded rubber coupling (#1716561).

The noise is only once, as the clutch is released and the tractor does not skip or jerk while in motion.

And thanks for the kind words of welcome! :rocker:

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:04 PM

The numbers you gave above are the Bronze bushings that are inside of the clutch pulley (These rarely go bad but in some cases they wear out due to not periodically oiling them from time to time.)

Sorry to hijack again, but just curious since you mentioned it... but how do you get in there to oil the bushings you are talking about that are inside the clutch pulley? It seems like it would be really hard to get at that area because of where it is located...

Also, you mentioned the bonded coupling in the driveshaft. How does all of that even go together? Is the driveshaft basically "glued" (bonded) somehow to the input shaft on the rear axle? I'm assuming there is a part there that can wear out and go bad? How would you even replace that? I'm assuming the driveshaft on the rear axle in the photo you posted was broken then?

Thanks for all your help!!

#11 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,177 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Sorry to hijack again, but just curious since you mentioned it... but how do you get in there to oil the bushings you are talking about that are inside the clutch pulley? It seems like it would be really hard to get at that area because of where it is located...

Also, you mentioned the bonded coupling in the driveshaft. How does all of that even go together? Is the driveshaft basically "glued" (bonded) somehow to the input shaft on the rear axle? I'm assuming there is a part there that can wear out and go bad? How would you even replace that? I'm assuming the driveshaft on the rear axle in the photo you posted was broken then?

Thanks for all your help!!

Most of the tube-frames have 2 needle bearings in the clutch pulley that ride on the clutch shaft. .....Normally, they are only lubed when things are apart, as there is no way to force lube in from the outside.

The bonded rubber coupling is there to flex slightly to compensate for any slight misalignment between the clutch shaft and the transaxle input shaft. .....It consists of a rubber "cushion" bonded between 2 flat steel discs. ....One plate is bolted to the clutch shaft flange. .....The other plate is bolted to the cast-iron coupling which slides onto the insput shaft of the transaxle. .....The holes in the coupling are offset from each other to accomodate the 4 bolts. (A bolt does not go through both steel discs.)

The rubber coupling does fail sometime, but it is not a common part to fail. .....To replace the rubber coupling, the 4 bolts are removed, the transaxle is slid back on the frame tubes, and either coupling can be replaced.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Most of the tube-frames have 2 needle bearings in the clutch pulley that ride on the clutch shaft. .....Normally, they are only lubed when things are apart, as there is no way to force lube in from the outside.

The bonded rubber coupling is there to flex slightly to compensate for any slight misalignment between the clutch shaft and the transaxle input shaft. .....It consists of a rubber "cushion" bonded between 2 flat steel discs. ....One plate is bolted to the clutch shaft flange. .....The other plate is bolted to the cast-iron coupling which slides onto the insput shaft of the transaxle. .....The holes in the coupling are offset from each other to accomodate the 4 bolts. (A bolt does not go through both steel discs.)

The rubber coupling does fail sometime, but it is not a common part to fail. .....To replace the rubber coupling, the 4 bolts are removed, the transaxle is slid back on the frame tubes, and either coupling can be replaced.

:ditto:

#13 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Frankentractor!!

Its hard to say exactly what it could be without actually being there in person

I wonder if it isn't something with the clutch linkage, but like Doc said it's hard to tell (if your not right there) where it's coming from.

Edited by Nato77, September 12, 2012 - 10:03 PM.