475 replies to this topic

#466 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:08 PM

I'm stumped and hoping you guys have the answer. Last snow season the Case would every once in a while bag fire and shut down. It typically occurred only after I'd been running her for a while and was working her pretty hard. Once she shut down I was able to restart things and continue blowing snow.

Fast forward to this year. During the initial snow storm I had the same behavior occur but this time it happened several times. At one point I noticed that the muffle pipe coming from the engine was glowing red. I backed the throttle off a bit and that seemed to decrease the frequency of the back fire/shut down routine.

I changed the ignition coil last year thinking that might be what was causing the problem. The only other thing that's different this year is that I busted my throttle cable clip and had to replace that. I'm wondering if when I reinstalled the clip I adjusted the throttle cable so that when the tractor is on full throttle it's running at higher RPMs  than is wanted.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

#467 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 05:37 AM

That's one possibility. Are you sure the cooling fins under the tins are clean? Maybe a little lean on fuel at high RPM?

• Moosetales said thank you

#468 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 01:26 PM

Like kenny said check the tins and try making a mixture adjustment. Also check your points and see if they are clean and adjusted correctly.

I just had the same issue on my K181 while I was pushing dirt with the front blade., It would start back firing and die when it got hot, but I could start it up and go a bit more till it happened again. I would also play with the carb adjustments to get it better but... it would happen again.

I finally pulled the cover off the points and they had a nice black coating of carbon. Instead of cleaning them, I put a new set on and a new condenser. The problem hasn't happened since.

There are other things that can cause the problem but I would start at the basics first, like what we already mentioned,and while at it check the plug and all electrical connections.

Good luck

• KennyP and Moosetales have said thanks

#469 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Like kenny said check the tins and try making a mixture adjustment. Also check your points and see if they are clean and adjusted correctly.

I just had the same issue on my K181 while I was pushing dirt with the front blade., It would start back firing and die when it got hot, but I could start it up and go a bit more till it happened again. I would also play with the carb adjustments to get it better but... it would happen again.

I finally pulled the cover off the points and they had a nice black coating of carbon. Instead of cleaning them, I put a new set on and a new condenser. The problem hasn't happened since.

There are other things that can cause the problem but I would start at the basics first, like what we already mentioned,and while at it check the plug and all electrical connections.

Good luck

Chris & Kenny,

The early returns look positive that you all have guided me in the right direction. I still need to assess things a bit more but the gap on the points last night was .008 so I set the gap at .020. The points looked relatively clean of carbon build up but I'm a newb when it comes to points. Fins look clean and clear of debris.

I'm going to order a new condenser should the problem persist. The video clip below will give you a sense of my low idle and top end of my throttle speed. Too low? Too high? I believe I'm too high at the top end.

Edited by Moosetales, December 04, 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#470 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:10 PM

The way the contacts are making fire out the sides make me think one the contacts cracked  . How the machine would run is beyond me .

I had a cracked tooth during the summer . My regular dentist was off during the office visit .His son also a dentist there  recommended pulling the tooth because it was badly infected . Good advice he gave me . . Father and son both agreed right decision .

#471 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:43 PM

On the other hand , if one were to accidentally use nail polish instead of regular cleaning agent on the points -  really weird things could happen .

#472 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Chris & Kenny,

The early returns look positive that you all have guided me in the right direction. I still need to assess things a bit more but the gap on the points last night was .008 so I set the gap at .020. The points looked relatively clean of carbon build up but I'm a newb when it comes to points. Fins look clean and clear of debris.

I'm going to order a new condenser should the problem persist. The video clip below will give you a sense of my low idle and top end of my throttle speed. Too low? Too high? I believe I'm too high at the top end.

When you regapped the points you changed the ignition timing maybe for the better maybe not.  Running hot is a sign of to lean of a fuel air mixture perhaps you should make the mixture richer by unscrewing the  main jet on the carb 1/2 turn maybe more. you should be able to tell by the sound of the engine if it helps. The other cause is dirty fins on the cylinder or missing air deflector pieces on the sheet metal of the engine.  Dave

#473 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 03:15 PM

When you regapped the points you changed the ignition timing maybe for the better maybe not.  Running hot is a sign of to lean of a fuel air mixture perhaps you should make the mixture richer by unscrewing the  main jet on the carb 1/2 turn maybe more. you should be able to tell by the sound of the engine if it helps. The other cause is dirty fins on the cylinder or missing air deflector pieces on the sheet metal of the engine.  Dave

You don't need a new condenser unless the point material is transferring from one side of the points to the other causing pitting in one side. If no pitting , I would not change maybe in a few more years the people on the other side of the world will learn how to make condensers Dave

#474 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Dave,

Thanks. I will take a look at the carb and try my hand at making an adjustment. Thanks for the feedback.

#475 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 16, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Sometimes a good clean signal is not available to the points .  Today I had to add a diode in a module  for an alternate keyup mode . Also had to adjust the front to back direction on a part on the tripod .

Really have no idea if this helps or is relevant , just part of a typical weird day for me .

#476 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 06:46 PM

I heard it said elsewhere that over voltage racing batteries are to be avoided also . To be only used by the pros or those who want to experiment .