1971 Case 444 Tractor
Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:43 PM
My buddy tinkers with engines a lot and between he and my dad the tractor was running smoothly within 20 minutes from rolling her off the trailer (insert a HUGE smile here). My buddy Tom bypassed the starter solenoid (touched the + end of the jumper cable to one of the contacts on the solenoid) and that 14 hp Kohler sprang to life. I have a video but I haven't had time to upload it to Youtube, which is what I think I have to do to post it here (am I correct anyone?).
So, the early hypothesis is that the starter solenoid is shot but I have yet to investigate to see if the seller might have rewired it incorrectly when he put it back together. The battery is a small yard tractor battery and what purchased back in 2006. It doesn't hold a great charge so I'll be scaring up a new battery very soon.
I have a small leak in the hydraulic system but it's dripping from one of the fittings under the tractor so my guess is it just needs a little tightening.
I've gotta run feed one of my kiddos and I'm not sure I'll get back out to the garage tonight but I'll be giving her a good check up very soon and will post more pics as well as share the good, the bad and the ugly with you all.
Thanks again to all who encouraged me to take the plunge and to those who shared their thoughts ahead of the purchase.
Here is a pic of me and my lovely wife.
I couldn't be smiling more than I am in this pic.
- bigspoon said thank you
Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:34 PM
Posted October 08, 2012 - 05:38 AM
Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:20 PM
Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:42 PM
Tear in the seat.
No head lights...wire intact though.
Minor hydraulic oil leak.
Rear PTO lever taped.
The packing that holds the seat cover on the seat has come lose.
The attachment level gauge (not sure that is the proper name) handle is busted off.
And what appears to be a "miss wired" or a bad solenoid.
The hydraulic lines in the back look solid.
The muffler is in remarkable condition. I'm guessing a high temp, flat black paint would help keep the rust at bay?
Let me know what you think and if you have any thoughts about solutions. Thanks.
Edited by Moosetales, October 08, 2012 - 09:18 PM.
Posted October 08, 2012 - 10:00 PM
Correct headlights would be glass Speaker 777's. Pretty expensive when you find them on ebay.
Pretty sure you can still get new handles for that, should be the same as the travel, and attachment lift handles.
Looks like a good machine all in all. Congrats.
- Moosetales said thank you
Posted October 09, 2012 - 12:18 AM
By the way, the serial # on the tractor is #9652632. I can't find a serial number or model number on the tiller or mowing deck.
While I wait for the final verdict on the starting issue (looks like a solenoid is coming my way real soon) I dug into my J-84 snowcaster (serial #41085) a little bit. I'm missing the skid plates and rods that bolt onto the sides of the blower to cut deep snow. Other than that it looks like everything is accounted for.
On my JD 110 I hooked up a back up light so I'm thinking of doing the same on the CASE. I see in the manual that the 444 had an optional reverse light (at least I think so) but I can't find a pic of where they mounted. Any thoughts?
I keep hearing that Brian (from NH I think) is a great resource for parts. Anyone have a line on him and would be willing to point me in his direction? Thanks.
Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:42 PM
I have it apart and cannot find anything that resembles a safety system in the event I snag a rock or stick or frozen squirrel, or something like that.
Also, I can't figure out how to get the bearings out of the ends of the auger? Thanks again for all your help.
Sprocket end of auger.
Opposite end of auger.
Surface rust removed from the left side (inside) of blower.
Surface rust still needing to be removed from right side (inside) of blower.
Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:26 AM
I guess if a guy had a bearing extractor those hex bearings would come out real easily.
But that ^^ is kinda a specialty thing not all of us invest in, so a real long drift , i.e. a hunk of re- bar, or metal rod, or a really stout hardwood dowel placed in the bore from the opposite side could be used. Tap, tap , tap 'em out.
And no, I'm not laughing at all about the shear pin thing. Don't worry, those snowcasters are so strong it can handle frozen squirrels with ease, it will just make a squirrel smoothie.
Take a look at Eastman/ Ingy site for the breakdown on your unit.:
Edited by marlboro180, October 10, 2012 - 07:28 AM.
Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:30 AM
LMAO about the squirrel. That would explain why the auger has a couple dings in it where it grabbed something stout and won the battle. Thanks for the advice on getting the bearings out.
Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:09 PM
Boy will I feel silly if the S/N is somewhere visible and I totally missed it. I'm used to JD's S/N plates which are pop riveted onto the tractor and all attachments. So I apologize in advance if I've sent everyone on a wild goose chase.
Snowcaster: J-84 (S/N 41085)
Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:57 PM
Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:09 PM
Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:36 PM