475 replies to this topic

#421 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well, I'm calling it quits on the fuel pump. I rechecked everything and I could not find a darn thing wrong with it so it must be something small that I'm not seeing that's causing it to dead head. There's just no gas getting to the carb. I've decided to purchase a new pump. Any suggestions as to what brands are better than others. I've seen quotes between $35-$60 for now (plastic) pumps. Thanks.

#422 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Looking for original or something aftermarket?

• Moosetales said thank you

#423 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Looking for original or something aftermarket?

At this point, after market.

#424 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Ok, just so we're on the same page (mentally exhausted from work) you're looking to replace what you have with something that will fit in the same spot OR are you looking for a FP that's generic like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B0069AQ9CI

I have a few of those kicking around which work, just used that I can sell you pretty cheap. LMK.

#425 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Ok, just so we're on the same page (mentally exhausted from work) you're looking to replace what you have with something that will fit in the same spot OR are you looking for a FP that's generic like this one:

http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B0069AQ9CI

I have a few of those kicking around which work, just used that I can sell you pretty cheap. LMK.

Update on the fuel pump. Thanks to ChrisM I have the original pump that he overhauled and made new again. I installed it a week or two back and have run the Case through the paces and she's performing well. Here's what ChrisM found when he took a look at the pump and what he ended up doing to it:

"As far as the pump goes, I saw the problem as soon as I took it out of the bag. The half with the 4 screws and the large diaphragm was the part that was warped.

Once I took it all apart I took each piece and put a small square on the flat surface of each flange area, when I did that I saw how bad it really was.

That flange was so bad that I had to take the majority of material off with a file before I resurfaced it flat.

To resurface it I use a 1/4" thick piece of glass with a full size sheet ( printer paper size) of emery cloth taped to it. This is the same thing I use when doing heads and Carb flanges.

You just hold your warped piece flat on the emery paper and sand in a circular motion. It takes awhile to do, ruffly 1/2-1 hour. When sanding stop every so often and clean the emery off with a brush, this is real important when sanding aluminum! as it will gall up on the paper and cause gouges in your smooth surface.

Also after sanding for awhile you will start to feel less resistance, you can actually feel as it starts to get more even and smooth. I also will color the entire surface I am sanding with a sharpie ( Black permanent marker) this will show you if there are still high or low spots in your piece being resurfaced. When no more Black is on the surface you are done.

I will also add that I am finding it to be a very common problem on these old machines.  I have found that 75% of the time (at least) I will find that and engine I am working on has either a warped head or a warped carb mounting flange. So for me when I get an old GT I don't even mess around anymore. I pull the head and carb first thing. Air leaks can drive you nuts! So... I eliminate them 1st."

A BIG shout out and thanks to ChrisM for his help and most of all his generosity.

Edited by Moosetales, August 13, 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#426 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well, I'm knee deep into my cab overhaul. In addition to fabricating doors I am painting the entire cab and enlarging the front windshield size (height not width). What I found was when I sat in the seat the lower cross member holding the windshield in cut straight through my line of vision. To see clearly I had to sit up higher than was comfortable or lean forward. I figured if I was overhauling the cab I might as well lower the cross member and increase the overall window size while I was at it.

I have the front panel off (windshield panel) and primed. The overall opening for the windshield is now 27 3/4" (H) and 28 1/4" (W). Once painted I'll be taking it to a local glass company for them to install the new laminated windshield. All they charge is $20 to install the windshield...far cheaper than me buying two windshields because I dropped the first one.

20130811_144158.jpg

20130812_192747.jpg

(Yes, the hood opens cleanly with about an 1/8" clearance. Luckily I thought that through ahead of time).

20130812_201047.jpg

I will be adding some custom tin to the top of the hood and down either side of the lower portion of the front posts to enclose the cab...more on that later.

Now for the tough part......color scheme. I've thrown around a ton of combos and searched high and low for cab color schemes that I like and the only thing I had decided upon to date is that I know I do NOT want a one color cab. I want to mix things up a bit so I need your thoughts.

Here are the three colors I plan to use in building my color scheme:

20130813_220719.jpg

Power Red, Semi Gloss Black and Desert Sunset

So far I'm thinking that the inside will be black, top will be one color and the side tin will be another. For the doors, I'm pretty sure they will end up being black. I've bantered with the top being Desert Sunset to aid in reflection of the sun during the off season (yes I plan on keeping the cab on year round). With the doors and inside being black I thought then the side walls would be Power Red. But then maybe the top would look great being black and the side walls being Power Red. But then again, maybe it would look cool to have the side walls Desert Sunset, the doors black and the top Power Red. UGH!

I'd appreciate your thoughts (or pictures) of color schemes you've seen that you liked. Thanks.

• twostep said thank you

#427 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:55 PM

You could take your tractor out side away from all the photo clutter take new photos down load in comp. Run Photo Shop. Gimp,or any photo editing program you have . And see how it looks with out even popping a paint can cap. BTW did not mean your garage cluttered just your photos are to busy . Easier to select and edit with one solid color back ground. Sorry bout that wrong post was for your color post.

Edited by gopher, August 16, 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#428 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Well, the front windshield portion of the cab has been delivered to the glass company and awaiting a new windshield. The rough opening is now 29" X 29". It took some doing but finally found a company that had the rubber gasket in stock which eliminated the need for me to buy an entire box (50' @ $2-$3/foot). I'm excited and really pleased with the price......just under $100 for the glass, gasket and installation. It should be ready in a week or so.

Here's the finished product minus the glass.

20130817_090710.jpg

20130817_090743.jpg

I completed sanding, priming and painting the top of the cab. I decided to merge a few ideas and took my son's suggestion of painting the top Power Red and the suggestion of a couple GTT friends to paint the top black so ask to harness a few degrees of warmth from the sun during the winter months. The result is Power Red around the perimeter of the top and black in the center. The cool part is that when the cab top is installed you can't see the black yet I'll still get the benefit of the solar warmth.

20130820_003601.jpg

The inside of the cab is black.

I gambled with an idea for the back panel and I think I struck gold. I noticed that with the cab on I had to crane my neck around, up and over to see out the back window when I was grading the road or tilling the garden. I figured since I would be using the cab year round I'd cut a narrow window to look out of instead of craning my neck around. I will fill this hole with glass just as I am doing with the windshield. I like the look and the functionality is fantastic.

20130818_104244.jpg

20130818_191507.jpg

The paint I order to finish the outside of the cab should be coming in any day now. Can't wait.

• KennyP, gopher, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#429 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:01 AM

That is coming along nicely, looking great . :thumbs:

#430 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Well, no pics tonight but maybe tomorrow. I called the glass company today and they gave me the good news that my windows were installed. I stopped in just minutes before five today and picked up the front and rear frames of the cab. My son has been wanting to learn more and do more (mechanically speaking) so he helped me bolt everything together and the cab is almost all complete. I'm loving the color combination that my son helped me pick out for the cab. I ended up sanding down and painting the fenders while I had the chance and they turned out great. I hope to post pics tomorrow.

#431 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Well we are all waiting. :tapping_fingers:

#432 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Sorry gopher for the teaser. I did not intend to linger....home computer went down. Here are a couple pics. These are pics of the cab without all adjustments being made yet. More to follow on the finishing touches. The doors will be Desert Sunset on the outside and black on the inside. Here you go:

20130905_073628.jpg

20130905_073652.jpg

20130905_073714.jpg

I ended up sanding down and re-painting the fenders while I was at it. They turned out great (if I do say so myself).

20130901_162046.jpg

20130901_170048.jpg

20130901_170038.jpg

20130901_183352.jpg

More to follow....

#433 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well we are all waiting. :tapping_fingers:

Hey, home computer key board crapped out. Sorry for the delay. Just posted pics so take a look and let me know what you think.

#434 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:10 PM

That's looking great! When can I come pick it up? :D

#435 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 09:21 PM

That's looking great! When can I come pick it up? :D

I really am pleased with the color combo and would love to clone it and send you a carbon copy. Thanks.

• chris m said thank you