• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#406 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have never had mine off so there might not be any way for it to happen. But sense it's mechanical check to make sure gas not in oil. could be bad on bearings.  

#407 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Well after many months of kicking around in my garage I finally got down to business and prepared my NTM rims for the ags. Down to metal...a little primer.....

20130630_100449.jpg

20130630_101917.jpg

AND a splash of black paint and they're ready to roll.

20130701_230540.jpg

20130701_230450.jpg

20130701_230621.jpg

One on....one to go. I'll be putting the orange wheel weights back on so I think the contrast of the orange and black will look pretty cool.

• Gtractor said thank you

#408 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Looks great. You'll love the big ag's. Brand, Cost, and where did you get them? 16" rims?

• Moosetales said thank you

#409 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Looks great. You'll love the big ag's. Brand, Cost, and where did you get them? 16" rims?

Yes, 16" rims. Tires are Pirelli (if I recall correctly) and I paid $75 for three. I bought them from a guy off of CL. They came off of a Pasquali Tractor and the 4th tire apparently was punctured through the side wall.

• twostep said thank you

#410 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Wow, that is a steal!! Wish I could find another set like that! I've got $100 in the pair that are on my Kubota but finding those deals is very hard.

#411 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:04 PM

I happen to have been blessed a while back with some random Kohler parts and in the lot was a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. I just spent the last hour or so pulling the fuel pump off and rebuilding it (pics to follow). All went well and I reinstalled the pump. Much to my amazement she fired right up and ran.......and then died. It was then I noticed that I'd forgotten to turn the fuel line back on. So I restarted the tractor and she wouldn't start. I sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the carb and she fired up and DIED. I tried this a couple times (with the fuel shut off in the ON position and the same thing.

Anyone run into this before? Is there a trick that I've missed? I'm just glad I didn't don my cape and call myself a super hero when she fired right up the first time....boy would I have looked silly tooting my own horn with a fuel pump that didn't work. I'm hoping it's a simple fix. Thanks.

#412 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:17 PM

OH BOY!!!!!! I just went back out to try her again...thinking I had flooded the carb.....and you guessed it I BLEW THE BRAND NEW SEALS. Gas is flowing again right through the seals.

It sure sounded like she was starving for fuel. Once the seals blew again it was clear that the pump was working but not sure why fuel wasn't getting where it needed to go. UGH!

HISTORY

The Case has been sitting since Winter without being started all that much. Yesterday (or the day before) was the first time I'd started her in a while. It was when I started her for the first time that she blew the seals. Is it possible that something got stuck in the pump and now isn't letting fuel through? Thanks in advance.

#413 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Here are some pics of the process...in reverse order.

20130702_211309.jpg

20130702_203047.jpg

20130702_205844.jpg

20130702_205828.jpg

20130702_205823.jpg

After rebuild

20130702_202722.jpg

Before rebuild

20130702_201617.jpg

20130702_201404.jpg

Edited by Moosetales, July 02, 2013 - 09:34 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#414 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Here are the top culprits being suggested thus far: 1) vapor lock 2) loose fuel line fittings going in or out of the fuel pump 3) defunct fuel pump Here is a source of a replacement fuel pump recommended in another thread. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/...21-14-hp-engine

Edited by Moosetales, July 02, 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#415 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:57 PM

What seals are you talking about being blown? Is it leaking out a weep hole or is it leaking at a gasket between the pump body halves? I am just trying to get a better picture of what might be happening.

These style pumps are pretty tough. as long as you have everything cleaned well and the pump halves are flat (not warped).

#416 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:01 PM

What seals are you talking about being blown? Is it leaking out a weep hole or is it leaking at a gasket between the pump body halves? I am just trying to get a better picture of what might be happening.

These style pumps are pretty tough. as long as you have everything cleaned well and the pump halves are flat (not warped).

Yes, it's leaking between the gaskets. It was dry at first but as I kept turning it over attempting to get her started I presume the pressure built and blew out the top gasket.

BTW, what are the round disk looking things inside the housing called? They are pretty snug in there. Are they suppose to be snug?

Edited by Moosetales, July 02, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#417 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:29 PM

Ok so either the pump body is warped,or possibly the valve on the outlet side of the pump is sticking. It may even be a combination of both?

Yes the valves should be snug, but they should also come out with out to much effort. They used to come in the kits when they where available. You should be able to just clean them with spray type carb cleaner with out  removing them though.

When you put it together again put a hose on the suction side of the pump and submerge it in some gas, then try and see if you can get the pump to work by moving the lever by hand.

I would be sure none of the housings are warped before assembling it again though. also spray through the valves from both directions with cleaner. those valves are check valves and should let gas through in one direction and not the other.

Wish I was a bit closer so I could help you out.

#418 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:41 PM

Also those valves have disks in them, there is a spring that keeps them tight against its seat (to seal it) so the disk it self should move fairly easy. Just don't scratch or force them. I have a feeling that is what has happened. the disk on the outlet side is most likely stuck to it's seat (sealed off position) If spray doesn't free it up, try soaking the pump in carb cleaner over night then try spray tomorrow.

#419 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:37 AM

Chris, Thanks for the info. Just wish I could jump out to the garage and give her a try but alas I must get to work.......but tonight is coming. I will soak the pump, clean the valves and make sure they are operational and make sure the disks are free of gunk. Now, if the gasket is fried beyond use, as I suspect, where is your source for gaskets or repair kits? The one I had came from a lot of old parts I picked up a while back. I don't seem to find it anywhere. The part number for the repair kit is #236387. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, you getting any sleep? I too wish you were closer so you could look over my shoulder as I finish the rebuild. Maybe one of these days I'll get down in your neck of the woods a say hello. I may head down at some point to look at a PK in CT....maybe then.

#420 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:03 AM

I can't find anything on just the gaskets.I have no source for parts on these old pumps. I just watch Ebay and every once in a while kits come up.There is a complete kit on Ebay for a rebuild but it is almost $50.00, and that is about the price of a new replacement pump. I think If it was my pump, I would try and clean it up and reuse the gaskets (if they are intact). Then go from there.

As far as sleep I am trying but it is a little difficult. Right now I am just trying to get caught up on things like mowing (here and dads) plus trying to re do things at his house, so he can get to things with out having to reach or strain himself (like the microwave on top of his fridge etc..) I wish I could clone myself so I could help everyone that needs it lol. Good luck if you do go look at the Pk! It would be great to meet up with you. I am also hoping this summer to meet a few of our members, we'll see what happens.

Anyway, good luck and I am hoping you can just get away with just a good cleaning on the pump.