475 replies to this topic

#391 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 10:31 PM

When I got the 120 I went through a similar problem an the coil was the problem.  It would run great for 30-40 minutes and then just die.  It was the coil and would do that when it got heat-soaked.  I would guess the additional load of the heavy snow produced extra heat which soaked the coil.  Some of the Deere guys have mounted the coil on the frame and not the engine to isolate it from vibration.  I am considering that myself.

Heat would make sense since it's always shut down after being in use for some time.

I had a Gravely with a Kohler and key start doing something like you are describing, shutting down for no apparant reason, then being able to start.  Eventually, I looked at the back of the key switch and noticed it was burnt looking.  Replaced the switch and wiring harness and was good to go.  So, wiring harness to switch is also a good place to look.

I've had the ignition switch out and overhauled recently and all looks okay. In fact, it was the ignition switch that was the culprit when I first bought the rig; rusted contacts was preventing her from firing up.

#392 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well....I bit the bullet and transferred the snow cab from my Massey 14 to my Case. I realized this winter that my Case does a superior job to the Massey on our looooong dirt drive so the Case will remain my primary snow removal machine. It looks similar to a K2 (not sure though what model it is) but I had to modify the back plate slightly and I'll be building some new doors. Here's the start to my newest project on the Case:

Personal 057.JPG

Personal 058.JPG

Personal 059.JPG

Personal 060.JPG Personal 060.JPG

Personal 062.JPG

Now to have two custom front mounting brackets fabricated and I'll be all set. I hope to repaint this summer and make a few more modifications.

• Titus said thank you

#393 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 11:03 PM

I made a bit of headway on the doors this weekend. Still working on the design for my front brackets. My goal with the brackets is for the cab to slide one and off the brackets so the cab could be quickly removed if necessary. The design is in my head.......I'll get it out and on paper hopefully soon.

I'm using aluminum (I think) track that I salvaged from work. The front office had handing blinds that hung in these tracks.

IMG_0788.JPG

I've had them laying around and thought they might suit me just fine for the doors. Light but sturdy.

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

I'm still undecided as to how I will join the pieces to form a sturdy door. I will likely be using Lexan for the window. What's the over under on having 1 doors vs. 2? I'm undecided on that as well. I have enough material for two doors so I'll likely go with two but......hmmmm.

• twostep said thank you

#394 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Go for two doors, never know when you might get stuck against something and need the other way out.  :thumbs: 

As far as the "how I will join the pieces" why not just weld them?

• Moosetales said thank you

#395 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, the question (minus extra fab work) is why would you NOT have two doors?

#396 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, the question (minus extra fab work) is why would you NOT have two doors?

Fab work would be the only reason not to IMO. Cost of welding can be steep. I am going to fab two doors.
  • twostep said thank you

#397 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Looks great so far.

#398 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:41 AM

With all the projects I've got going at once I've neglected my 444. I pulled the rims out yesterday and am on the cusp of getting those sanded down and repainted. I bought the primer and paint hope to have them ready shortly for the NTM ag tires installed very shortly.

My wife found an old saw blade, 2+ feet in diameter, in the woods yesterday and I promptly went to work cutting it up to use for front mounting brackets on my cab. It's working out great and best part it was FREE.

#399 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well, a bit more progress on my front mount brackets for the cab.

Here's a pic of the saw blade my wife pulled out of the woods for me. Sure is a tough piece of steel. Yes, this is after I chopped my first piece out for the left side bracket.

2013-04-15 08.44.05.jpg

Here is the bracket with shims being glued. The shims are required so that the plate fits evenly to the bottom of the foot rest.

2013-04-16 21.57.48.jpg

2013-04-16 21.58.00.jpg

Here's the bracket that will mount to the side of the frame and will eventually have a couple angled pieces welded to it to support the mounting plate for the cab.

2013-04-16 21.58.21.jpg

And here's a pic of the foot rest and you can kinda tell that the steel plate is cut exactly in the shape of the plate. Once everything is set a picture without the clamps will make it more evident.

2013-04-16 21.58.56.jpg

• marlboro180 said thank you

#400 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I need to send Amber in the woods to see what random saw blades she can find! What a neat find! I feel yeah on the case being neglected. Mine's sadly been sitting with the hood popped open since I last worked on it. I need to go get everything running again soon. I think I'll skip FD tomorrow and play catch up with my GTs.

#401 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:20 PM

I tell you, I don't know how guys to it when they have 10, 20, 30 tractors. I have 4 and I find it difficult to know which project to work on next. Well, I was able to get the frame of the door for my cab temporarily together so that I could gently drive it over to the welder. It's now in his hands and I hope to get it back soon.

2013-05-17 07.14.34.jpg

Next to fab a door handle/latch, a bottom panel that drops below the horizontal support at the bottom of the door and then to decide what material to use for the actual door panel. I plan on having the door open from the front (kinda like a suicide door).

Hats off to manufacturers who study this stuff day in and day out and eventually produce a fine product in mass quantities. Who would think there can be so much "R&D" that goes into a simple door.

#402 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM

It's sad, today I walked into the garage and found spider webs on my case! This working 6 days, coming home and passing out sucks. It's come to the point that spiders are getting more seat time then me!

I have been thinking about dreaded winter more and more as I look at my driveway and think how much this past winter sucked. I am planning on using a golf car enclosure over the sun canopy I have and see how that works. 

#403 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:55 PM

It's sad, today I walked into the garage and found spider webs on my case! This working 6 days, coming home and passing out sucks. It's come to the point that spiders are getting more seat time then me!

I have been thinking about dreaded winter more and more as I look at my driveway and think how much this past winter sucked. I am planning on using a golf car enclosure over the sun canopy I have and see how that works. 

Now you just need to train those spiders to do the work for you. Feed them some gourmet flies and maybe they'll be workable. What kind of sun canopy do you have? Is it on your Case?

#404 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Well, after too long of a stretch I'm finally working on the rims so I can install the ag tires I purchased a while back onto the 444. Juggling tractor projects can be a challenge.

• Trav1s and twostep have said thanks

#405 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 05:16 AM

If Niagara Falls is a fitting name for your fuel pump.....does it need to be rebuilt? :( I started the Case yesterday to move her around a bit and out poured fuel all over the floor. Upon closer inspection I noted that the seals were shot. Well, I haven't tried my hand at rebuilding a fuel pump yet so it's about time I did.

Any good tips for the newbie? Any shage advice? Thanks.

Edited by Moosetales, July 01, 2013 - 10:18 PM.

• KennyP said thank you