#376 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Great thread M!

Thanks for taking the time to read up and chime in. Here's to hoping your steering wheel arrives safe and sound tomorrow. I'll expect a pic ounce she's installed and doing her job once again.

• Trav1s said thank you

#377 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 06:52 PM

I didn't intend to take your post to different  subject when you was talking about having to jump your 444 then asking about lights and other devices run. I just assumed you thought your lights was not letting gen keep battery at full charge.I got the formula from another site I belong to. I didn't put the amps because I'm not familiar with starter-gen all my case are stator systems.   

• Moosetales said thank you

#378 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 07:23 PM

I didn't intend to take your post to different  subject when you was talking about having to jump your 444 then asking about lights and other devices run. I just assumed you thought your lights was not letting gen keep battery at full charge.I got the formula from another site I belong to. I didn't put the amps because I'm not familiar with starter-gen all my case are stator systems.   

gopher, Not a problem AT ALL. You read me correctly. I was concerned that I had added too many lights and that I had worn down my battery with too much draw off my battery. Your input was very welcomed and useful. Thanks again.

#379 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 05:35 PM

As you all know, I have a NTM MF-14 sitting in my garage. It has a snow blower and cab. My Case has felt a little neglected this past week but today things changed. I made attempts to get my MF-14 all ready to blow the snow but NO GO. I got her out of the garage and kept throwing a belt.

Well, needless to say, my Case came through once again with flying colors. It's great to have options and choices when it comes to snow removal equipment. I'm not sure I'll ever have less than two source of snow removal EVER in my garage. Hope you all are well and your Case tractors are performing well.

#380 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I hope you get the belt issue figured out. But, it's always nice to have a backup plan.

#381 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Well, I had the chance to blow more snow last night. At one point I lost power and thought she was a goner. I limped back to the garage and realized that it was just the throttle cable that had come loose. Well, then I was out on the road and need to adjust the chute deflector so I leaned over the hood and adjusted the deflector. As I was about to get back on the tractor I smelled something funny and my leg started getting hot. I realized very quickly that I had been leaning against the muffler and my hunting pants has melted. Thank goodness I had stayed up against the muffler any longer or I'd be a hurting unit. Rookie mistake.....lesson learned.

2013-02-11 20.16.20.jpg

#382 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Well at least your leg was warm.....and no harm done. :thumbs:

#383 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Storm number.......I cant' remember......came through last night. Dumped 3-4 inches of snow. I can't really say it was snow, more like a mixture between a slushy and a snow cone. The Case didn't throw the "stuff" very far but she did the job in fine fashion. With one pass left to go (and of course a ways from the house) she died. :(  After a sputter and a backfire she shut down. When I went to turn her over she would turn over but very unproductive. This has happened before but usually she would start up relatively quickly. I thought through it a bit.....while I let her cool down......and eventually she started and I limped back to the garage. I let her cool and then went back and she started right up. I finished the job but now I'm thinking.

So, is this a "fail safe" mechanism that's connected to the motor over heating? If so, what causes this? Points?

Thanks.

#384 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Never heard of that fail safe. A couple of things from heat vapor lock or might be coil ready to crap out.

#385 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:43 PM

It sounds electrical to find out throw a spare spark plug in your tool box happens again pull plug wire hookup spare plug check for spark.If good spark then probably fuel issue.   

#386 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:01 PM

It's a mystery to me. It's happened several times after extended use.

#387 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted February 28, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Moose, I'm gonna throw my hat in here and say that if all else is good ( plug, fuel system, etc.) that I would suspect a weak coil. Looking back at my last few days, I remember a couple shutdowns on the Onan that had shudders and backfires on shutdown and the coil was the culprit in the end....( after giving it a serious mechanical  shock LOL )   I thought it was fuel at first, but alas, no, it was a coil.

I know yours has the Kohler 321A, but man , the symptoms sound too familiar. Also, as a coil heats up, the effeciency goes down, as does it's ability to create high voltage, and thus spark. This makes sense for the " extended use " scenario.    As a side note, if that coil is making weak voltage, it ain't gonna jump the points so well.....making things worse from poor spark timing  or just poor spark in general.

Just my thoughts from here at the shack :-)

Edited by marlboro180, February 28, 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#388 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 12:34 AM

Well guys, for around $25 I think I will give a new coil a try. The Case has been SO dependable and STRONG through this Winter and I shudder at the thought of not being able to depend on her. Once I get a new coil installed I'll report back....hopefully we'll have a few more flakes to try her out. Thanks for weighing in.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#389 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 07:43 AM

Well guys, for around $25 I think I will give a new coil a try. The Case has been SO dependable and STRONG through this Winter and I shudder at the thought of not being able to depend on her. Once I get a new coil installed I'll report back....hopefully we'll have a few more flakes to try her out. Thanks for weighing in.

When I got the 120 I went through a similar problem an the coil was the problem.  It would run great for 30-40 minutes and then just die.  It was the coil and would do that when it got heat-soaked.  I would guess the additional load of the heavy snow produced extra heat which soaked the coil.  Some of the Deere guys have mounted the coil on the frame and not the engine to isolate it from vibration.  I am considering that myself.

• Moosetales and marlboro180 have said thanks

#390 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I had a Gravely with a Kohler and key start doing something like you are describing, shutting down for no apparant reason, then being able to start.  Eventually, I looked at the back of the key switch and noticed it was burnt looking.  Replaced the switch and wiring harness and was good to go.  So, wiring harness to switch is also a good place to look.

• Moosetales and marlboro180 have said thanks