475 replies to this topic

#346 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:23 PM

This may play my ignorance hand beyond what I've ever shown but in the following clip (around the 36 second mark) you'll hear a rush of air hit the camera. It's not coming from the exhaust so where is it coming from and would that be a leak? Thanks.

#347 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Could it be from air rushing IN to the intake?

#348 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Here's a video showing better where the air is coming from.

Here's a pic of the inside of the shield that covers the spot in the above video. As you may be able to tell, it appears there are "exhaust stains" (not sure how else to describe it) which makes me wonder if the air that is leaking is exhaust. When I reinstalled the muffler I used a brand new gasket so I'm confident air is not leaking from there. I'm wondering if I might not have a blown gasket?

2013-01-10 07.43.28.jpg

Thanks for your feedback.

#349 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 624 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:41 PM

The shield looks to be just heat marks. The air movement tells you the motor shroud is not blocked and doing its job.As far as head gasket leaking I don't think so. Have you checked rpm's  it might be just your camera mike being so close sounds kind of fast?

• Moosetales said thank you

#350 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Oh now I understand where it's coming from. The fins on the flywheel blow air all through the shields around the motor, and though the cooling fins on the head. They direct the airflow around the whole motor.

#351 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Oh now I understand where it's coming from. The fins on the flywheel blow air all through the shields around the motor, and though the cooling fins on the head. They direct the airflow around the whole motor.

PHEW!!!!!!! I was picturing myself being elbow deep in my engine replacing gaskets.

So I get where to spray the carb cleaner to check the carb for leaks but I'm not sure I follow John as to where to spray the carb cleaner to check the manifold? Sometimes it stinks being the nub. :wallbanging:

#352 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:25 PM

The shield looks to be just heat marks. The air movement tells you the motor shroud is not blocked and doing its job.As far as head gasket leaking I don't think so. Have you checked rpm's  it might be just your camera mike being so close sounds kind of fast?

Again, I'm glad to hear that air is supposed to be blowing through out the fins. Regarding the RPMs, do you use a tach or what method do you use to check RPMs?

Edited by Moosetales, January 10, 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#353 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Okay, I know this comes from the "other site" but I found it not only annoying (to begin with) but a bit humorous and a lot informative. I found myself rooting for rscurtis (the member who posted the suggestion of comparing two motors).

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=138137

However intrigued I am with the notion of using the human ear to tune or govern anything I think I'll have to stick to a tach of some sort. :thumbs:

#354 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 624 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:05 PM

When I got my 3016 the governor was all messed up .I borrowed a digital photo sensor tachometer from work you stick a peace of reflective tape on something you can get clear view of on mine I put it on the front pto to read.If your lucky you might find one on sale around $20.00.  Just checked Amason .com has  3 cheap ones right now amazon likes to stick it to you on shipping.Easy to check accuracy if you have car with tac,

Edited by gopher, January 10, 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#355 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:14 PM

So I get where to spray the carb cleaner to check the carb for leaks but I'm not sure I follow John as to where to spray the carb cleaner to check the manifold? Sometimes it stinks being the nub. :wallbanging:

My bad Matt, forgot that you have a Kohler and not a Onan, just spray around carb housing and where it mounts onto engine for leaks.

#356 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:15 PM

PHEW!!!!!!! I was picturing myself being elbow deep in my engine replacing gaskets.

If you spray it anywhere two parts meet on the intake (not IN the carb) and the RPM's rise, then there is a leak there. Carb cleaner is hard on paint though. There really isn't much of an intake manifold on the Kohler motors, unlike the Onan's.

#357 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:59 AM

I've read that you can use WS-40 in the same fasion except it will lower the RPM's..

Regarding the link to the "other site"... that is pretty funny. Seems there are a lot of people that think there is only one way to do things and if someone suggests an outside the box way to "get er dun" then that person is looked down upon. In-phase... you'll know it when you hear it!

#358 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:34 AM

I've read that you can use WS-40 in the same fasion except it will lower the RPM's..

Regarding the link to the "other site"... that is pretty funny. Seems there are a lot of people that think there is only one way to do things and if someone suggests an outside the box way to "get er dun" then that person is looked down upon. In-phase... you'll know it when you hear it!

The fun of working with GTs is that there are so many ways to get at the same result. Heck, just look at all the ways manufacturers have designed their tractor's systems and attachments.

Your response to my possible air leak is a classic example of many ways of skinning a cat (sorry to all you cat lovers....oh and to PETA).

#359 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm still loving the snow that's falling. We received about 3-4" yesterday. Here's a quick video of the "dash light" I recently installed.....making it a breeze to see everything on the dash when blowing snow at night. Hope you all are getting some seat time as well.

• mjodrey and marlboro180 have said thanks

#360 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:18 AM

We got about the same here but it was really wet snow. Single stage blowers aren't much good for that. I just used the blower as a plow...lol