• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:27 AM

No way it would start, the carb bowl was dry. I changed out the float to the copper one while I was in there. It started just fine after that. I have Seafoam in the gas, not sure why the needle stuck.

• Moosetales said thank you

#332 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Both of my workers had sat for a while before the snow hit, the both needed a little coaxing to get to fire up.

If there is a pump involved, it would lengthen the process if it had lost prime.
Is it more temp dependent or it more number of days since she last ran?

A video might help someone pinpoint the problem.

There is a pump involved:

Carb & Fuel Pump.jpg

and this shows the repair/rebuild kit

Carb & Fuel Pump 2.jpg

I have a 14hp Kohler and based on the diagrams I'm a bit confused as to which pump is on my engine; either #12 or #8. The pump listed as #12 says to "use ref. 8".

If I'm losing prime, what's the cause and would that effect the engine once it gets started? She purrs once started but is slow on the uptake. Thanks.

Edited by Moosetales, December 26, 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#333 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 03:50 PM

A more reliable route would be to swap out the mechanical pump for a small electric pump, and a cover plate for the block. Kirk engines sells them.

If you buy a new pump from Kohler it will be even more expensive. I bought one for my Massey 14, it was over $100.

#334 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 05:23 PM

A more reliable route would be to swap out the mechanical pump for a small electric pump, and a cover plate for the block. Kirk engines sells them.

If you buy a new pump from Kohler it will be even more expensive. I bought one for my Massey 14, it was over $100.

Before I go down that road I need to figure out if that's what my problem is.......OR are you suggesting that it might be my pump that's causing the slow start? Thanks.

#335 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 10:23 AM

After searching high and low I settled on making a purchase from Joe's Outdoor Power. Seemed to be a fair price ($85) considering shipping was included. January 3rd I should have them and start getting them ready to host my new-to-me Ag tires.

rims.JPG

rims2.JPG

rims3.JPG

rims4.JPG

#336 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:31 AM

CHOKE...........I pinpointed the problem. My choke lever will likely need replacing at some point soon unless an adjustment will solve the problem. I've found that if I push and hold the choke lever as far up as possible the engine purrrs to life almost instantaneously. I am please to know I'm not facing a fuel pump problem.

Thanks Mac, KeenyP and MH81 for your feedback and assistance regarding my slow start problem.

Edited by Moosetales, December 31, 2012 - 08:32 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#337 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Is there a way to adjust the cable so it works better with the lever?

#338 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Is there a way to adjust the cable so it works better with the lever?

I took a look at the cable and assembly and I don't see a "quick" adjust. Based on what I can tell, the only way to adjust the cable would be to slide the cable housing closer or further away from where the cable terminates.

I took the air filter cover off the other night and played with the choke. Currently the choke is adjusted such that when on fully it closes the shutter plate and when the choke is fully on the tractor now starts almost immediately. Yes, you guessed it, operator error seems to have been the culprit. :wallbanging:  Thanks for weighing in.

• KennyP said thank you

#339 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 12:16 AM

I don't weigh in on this thread very often, but I will again now. I looked back through and saw your 7.50-16 ags and must say excellent condition.  As far as traction goes, I have a mixed opinion. If you got ice you will want chains, and with chains, you will need the turfs or you gain nothing. I had a Case 444 with LOADED 8-16 ag tires and it was a tank in snow, but I never plowed with it, as it was leaking oil (drive system) way to much when I took it out the first time. I took it out in 1 foot deep snow and it was the ONLY GT I had at the time that would go through it. Long drive to the driveway and based on the oil drops in the snow it was leaking pretty good so I took it back to the shop. Anyhow. I was going to get a set of turfs for my 444 if I had kept it and fixed more of its issues because I really thought I would need those turfs with chains in winter. Anyway, good luck with what you decide upon.

#340 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 01:26 PM

I don't weigh in on this thread very often, but I will again now. I looked back through and saw your 7.50-16 ags and must say excellent condition.  As far as traction goes, I have a mixed opinion. If you got ice you will want chains, and with chains, you will need the turfs or you gain nothing. I had a Case 444 with LOADED 8-16 ag tires and it was a tank in snow, but I never plowed with it, as it was leaking oil (drive system) way to much when I took it out the first time. I took it out in 1 foot deep snow and it was the ONLY GT I had at the time that would go through it. Long drive to the driveway and based on the oil drops in the snow it was leaking pretty good so I took it back to the shop. Anyhow. I was going to get a set of turfs for my 444 if I had kept it and fixed more of its issues because I really thought I would need those turfs with chains in winter. Anyway, good luck with what you decide upon.

My "new-to-me" 16" rims came in the mail yesterday so I'm hoping to mount my "new-to-me" AGs and try them out still this winter. I figure if they don't do me well I can simply pop my turfs back on. More than anything, I'm looking forward to what they'll look like on the tractor. I'll be using my torque converter wheel weights (60+ lbs./wheel) so they too should be fairly heavy and hopefully will do great in the snow.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#341 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:10 PM

WIRING......I've been reworking the wiring I did for my reverse light as well as running wiring for future projects but up to today I haven't liked the solutions I've come up with.

Background.....I found a small air compressor at the transfer station the other day and still hooked to it was the rigid, coiled, hard plastic compressor hose about 1/4" diameter. As with every good dump find you may not know how you're going to use it but you just know it will come in handy.

Well I got to thinking about how I could rewire my tractor so that the wiring is protect AND hidden and a light bulb went off in my head. How about run conduit throughout my tractor for current and future projects? So I removed the fenders, removed the back plate, lifted the seat and started routing conduit under the gas tank and out through the hole in the frame where the gas line runs up to the engine. Okay, so I'm late to the game and you all have already figured out the virtues of running conduit through your tractors.....thanks for being patient and putting up with my nub excitement. :thumbs:  Here's a video of my project thus far.

#342 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Check the carb and manifold for air leaks, could be why choke has to be "on", as to much air is leaking into system

#343 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Check the carb and manifold for air leaks, could be why choke has to be "on", as to much air is leaking into system

Would it be possible in a post to explain a bit more about how to check the carb and manifold for air leaks? Remember, I'm a nub and just cutting my teeth in the GT world. Thanks.

#344 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Use some carb cleaner (I use it with the tube on nozzle) with motor running start spraying carb housing and listen to motor, increase in speed = leak, do the same on manifold  :thumbs: 

• Moosetales and marlboro180 have said thanks

#345 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Yup, what he said^^^^