475 replies to this topic

#16 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:54 PM

While I wait to hear from the seller I thought I'd show you all what I have currently in my garage. She's a 1974 JD 110 with a blower and a mower deck. I've had her for a year or so and love tinkering.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7446.JPG

• Farmlife said thank you

#17 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Just a quick update. I spoke with the seller a week ago and his plan was to try and get the tractor running. I'll be calling tomorrow to hear about his progress. Whether or not it's running I'm interested in making him an offer so I may need some pointers on where to start in getting this thing started should I seal the deal.

#18 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:50 AM

I guess I would start with load testing the battery to see if that is good, then take a look at the interlock switch, presuming it has not been altered Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

, and then the starter solenoid.
  • Moosetales said thank you

#19 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 227 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'd buy it. $1500 is a fair price IMO. I just bought a 1976 444 Demonstrator with just a mower deck (which was the wrong one for the tractor) for $1200. It did have a 3pt hitch, PTO valve, and flow control valve on it though. That machine looks better cosmetically than mine.

#20 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Okay guys. I contacted the seller tonight and he indicated he thinks he's isolated the problem but hasn't gotten around to ordering parts or testing out his theories; he didn't share what he thought the problem was and I didn't push him. He indicated he was willing to negotiate on the price if I'd be interested in taking it off his hands without it running. I told him I'd get right back to him with an offer.

So, here are a few facts:

1) the tractor was running approximately 1-2 months ago
2) the seller used the tractor for mowing and tilling his garden up to that point
3) the generator light comes on when you try to start it
4) I've hooked up jumper cables to the battery and tried to start it that way and the generator light comes on but it doesn't click or turn over

Marlboro 180 suggests:
1) load testing the battery to see if that is good
2) take a look at the interlock switch
3) and finish by looking at the starter solenoid

Thanks Marlboro 180 for your suggestion.

So, any other suggestions and what are the costs associated with the problems you suggest may be causing the problems? I'm hoping to make an offer this weekend and have a new-to-me-tractor sitting in my garage by Sunday evening.

Thanks again.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 05:00 AM

Maybe off the wall here, but check the grounds.

#22 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 05:42 AM

You said the light comes on but doesn't turn over or even "click"??? First thing I would check is the ignition switch. You clearly have power if the light is on (wether power is gettin where needs to be may be a different story) something isn't allowing it to even turn over is how it sounds from the posts I've just read. Yup, would check that ignition switch.....(some folks won't do this, but if it were me I'd just cross the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see what happens....) Good luck to ya.....I'd pay a grand for it just for the tractor with all the attachments even if there wasn't an engine on it.... :thumbs: :beerchug:

#23 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Farmlife thanks.

Now that you mention the "starter solenoid", on one of the trips over to see the tractor we did cross the contacts on the starter generator and got a small spark. At that point we had the car hooked up to the tractor via jumpers and I figured there would be a bigger spark than there was.

Is the starter solenoid the same thing as the starter generator?

Ken P,

Grounds? I know what a ground is but not sure what you are referencing when you suggest checking the grounds. For all you experts out there my posts will certainly be a source of entertainment and will serve to boost your confidence in your skills. Thanks for being patient as a learn.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:31 AM

Make sure the ground wires are making good contact to the frame. Also, there will be no 'starter solenoid' on this with a starter/generator. You may have to check all wire connections for rust/corrosion. Do you have a volt meter? That can be used to check connections for proper voltage. Maybe someone could post a wiring schematic to help figure this out?

#25 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:38 AM

KennyP,

Yes, that makes sense now. Since you mentioned rust....the seller moved the tractor outside, where it currently sits, about 2 months ago when it went up for sale which means it's been rained on for the past couple months. Hope we can come to an agreeable price and hope it's a quick and easy fix.

My dad has a volt meter I can borrow. Dad's are great for many things...even volt meters. A wiring schematic would be fantastic if anyone has one.

Thanks again.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Since it's been outside, I would say corrosion may be the culprit.

#27 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:01 AM

Moosetales,

check right here for a diagram, thanks goes to olcowhand for the manual though... :-) http://gardentractor...4-parts-manual/

Farmlife has a great idea about the ignition switch. I personally never had one go south, but have heard tales of that happening.

As for the grounds- that would be anywhere a wire terminates to the frame...It should be little ring terminals bolted/ screwed to anywhere on the chassis that is metal to metal , and any rust / oxide on said connections can bring one glorious amounts of frustration. I hope that this is the problem, as it is eaily remedied with emery cloth, elbow grease and some dielectric grease as well.

If the starter / generator is bad, then you are in for a little more money , but well worth the gamble of about a hundred bucks ( that is what the local shop here gets for rebuilding one )

Pops and I have had CASE machines for quite a few years, a couple of them live outside and have yet to see any no- start problems related to ignition switches. The grounds are usually where the trouble lies, or operator error such as trying to start them with the brake off, the PTO engaged, or the travel lever slightly engaged. The latter is my favorite personal flub, been there done that many a time LOL
:hitting_self_roller:

Good luck on your negotiations, and hopefully you get that fine machine. Once it is running, you would not be dissapointed in the least.

Edited by marlboro180, October 06, 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#28 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched....right? Well the seller and I struck a deal just a few minutes ago. Barring any changes that the night might bring, I'm heading to the seller's house tomorrow around 1 p.m. local time to pick up the 444 and all three attachments. Once I've secured the deal tomorrow and she's home in the door yard I'll post pics and reveal all the savory details.

Here's to sweet deals, simple fixes and tractors built to last forever.

#29 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:35 PM

Sweet deals are the things we love !

#30 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think you have a sweet deal here. I am betting that once you get it home, it will take you less than a day to get it running. I think you have a bad connection some where in the switch to the starter/generator.