475 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi. I'm new to Case tractors and would appreciate any feedback you might offer. I'm looking at making a purchase of a 1971 Case 444 Tractor. It comes with a mowing deck, snow blower and tiller. It has hydralic lifts, original paint, second owner and only surface rust. He replaced the hydraulic pump recently, put in a new spark plug. Tires are good. No head lights in front where head lights appear to have been. Needs a new throttle cable. The seller is asking $1,500 for the lot. I've not found a lot to compare it to so your feedback regarding a prospective value would be helpful. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-09-08 14.13.58.jpg
  • 2012-09-08 14.14.07.jpg
  • 2012-09-08 14.15.06.jpg

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 09:22 PM

I wish that tractor was a little closer to me!

I really like the older Case Desert Sand / Flambeau Red combination. I think its worth the asking price but if you got it for $1000 to $1250 it would be a nice score. I have seen these posted for $2500 in this area.I have a 448 and love it. If you rebuild the motor, the Kohlers are less expensive than the Onan's. Mine came with the snowblower but not the tiller. I have been looking for one but have not seen one for less than $450. Let us know if you get it.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:31 AM

That is a pretty good looking package.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 05:43 AM

That is a really nice package. Having the attachments you need is something that increases the value and usefulness of a tractor. If those attachments are what you need then see what you can negotiate for a price. A 40 year old tractor is bound to have worn out parts and need some work so keep in mind that you should expect to put some money into repairs. A lot depends on the condition when you look at it in person. Pictures are notorious for making a tractor look better than it is, but that setup looks in good condition for it's age.

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what the guy is willing to do with the price and we'll see what happens. Thanks again.

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Good afternoon. So I spent a little time with the tractor the other day and I'm going back tomorrow. I have a couple questions.

1) Just below the dash on the panel close to where my left knee would be is a lever protruding through the plate and to the right of the lever is printed (horizontally) A, B, C, D, E, F, G etc. Does anyone know what this is?

2) What is necessary to run the tiller? Sleeve hitch. 3 pt. hitch, hydraulic lever, etc.

3) What should I be looking for regarding problems with the PTO?

If all checks out I'm planning to offer $1K and see where we go from there. I have a wonderful 1974 John Deere 110 in the garage that has a mower deck and snow blower so I'm not desperate by any means.

Edited by Moosetales, December 26, 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 03:56 PM

In the pictures the rear pto hose is there, but can't see the valve so I'm guessing it's complete. The front pto is rebuildable along with everything else on that tractor. The price as the tractor sits is very fair, just the rear pto set-up is worth 250.00 and up. I know of a few guys from ME that buy a lot of Case tractors, so you might either be competing with one or buying from one on them.
The most important this about any Case product is the serial# that and only that will tell what you have as far as year and parts list.
Dealers are few and far around NE but a few good ones are on the net, e-mail if you need to know who to deal with, also the link below is for Eastman the "new" owners of Case/Ingersoll, you can download a parts manual for just about any tractor and attachments, Good Luck

http://eastmanind.co...96/Default.aspx
  • Moosetales said thank you

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 06:31 PM

John,

Would you be able to describe what the rear PTO valve is supposed to look like or would you have access to pic of what it's supposed to look like? I can visualize it. Basically, the hose you see completes a loop; one end is attached to one line and the other is attached back to the other line coming from under the tractor. The current owner indicated that the rear PTOs did not have a lever/valve until 1976 or so. This is all Greek to me since my '74 JD 110 uses an electric worm drive to lift front and rear attachments. Thanks.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 06:58 PM

The current owner indicated that the rear PTOs did not have a lever/valve until 1976 or so.

That is correct. On the early 444's the valve and lever is mounted on the starter bracket, not beside the seat. The handle is visible is the first pic you posted, sticking up above the hood on the far side.

Here's a pic:
My444_001.jpg

Edited by Cat385B, September 22, 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#10 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Cat385B,

Thanks. Here's the scary part (HA HA HA)...after posting my question I was poking around on the net looking for answers and I ran across this EXACT pic from a MTF post back in October 2009. Funny thing is, the guy posing the questions and one of the guys chiming in were from Maine, same as me.

The pic you posted looks exactly like the set up on the tractor I'm looking at.

BTW, any idea what the lever below the "dashboard" might be? It slides up and down and has A, B, C, D, E, F, etc. along side the lever. Thanks again.

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Moose, the lever is called "Power Lift Control Lever". It raises and lowers an attachment, the scale is a visual so you know the height.

#12 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 11:39 AM

That is correct. On the early 444's the valve and lever is mounted on the starter bracket, not beside the seat. The handle is visible is the first pic you posted, sticking up above the hood on the far side.

Looks like the photo and tractor belongs to another banned member of MTF "Hydriv", he would be a good source if you have any questions regarding anything Case related, :thumbs:

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Well, I went back out today and no luck getting the 444 started. Generator light would come on but nothing...even tried jumping it with the car. The sellar indicated he had it running about a month ago when he parked it in the yard for sale but nothing was firing today.

Here are a few more pics of the tractor and I apologize they are a bit jumbled and out of order.

I'm a novice when it comes to mechanics so I'm a bit perplexed by the tractor not firing up. Probably to you pros out there this sounds simple and an easy fix. The sellar is going to purchase a new battery and see if that helps get her going. If that doesn't work I'll have to see about an offer.

Would love your feedback regarding what you see in the pics below. John, thanks for the name on the lever. Right above the lever there is a shaft, that's supposed to have a knob on it, that appears to be the way you adjust the low end of the reach of the attachment (not sure I described that correctly) so I guess the lever with the letters allows you to raise and lower the attachment by incraments?

Thanks again.

IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0987.JPG IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 07:20 PM

The tractor looks in great shape and with the attachments I think the asking price is very fair. I would negotiate some on the price if you can.

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 07:48 PM

If you have the time to spend working on it, and are interested in learning how to do so, I would use the non-starting issue to your advantage to try and negotiate a better price. We can help you get it running. But negotiating a decent deal on a non-runner is difficult when the seller had it running recently. (supposedly) I suggest, if you're still interested, that you keep in contact with the seller. A new battery will not fix this problem, not when you had jumpers running off a car. When he realizes that, you might be able to swoop in with a lower offer that gets accepted.
  • Moosetales and slcase have said thanks