7 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:54 PM

This was one I have never seen, so figured I would see what you guys have to say about it......

Cleaning up the front electric clutch on the Ford LGT165 - It's a standard electromechanic clutch used on the 16hp kohlers... The insulation that seals in the wire windings on the coil was all cracked, swollen, and flaking out. It began to crumble and could be pulled out with my fingernail!

I figured the coil must have fried, but when I put 12 volts across it, it worked fine. But now the copper wires are exposed where the insulation came off. (Ok, I kept picking at it until most of it came out...)Heres a picture....

IMG00645-20120908-1604.jpg

I'm thinkin I need to recover the wire somehow. Thought about just using rtv, but not sure if that would be good. I think my best option will be to mix up some epoxy adhesive and use that to seal the wires in again. Opinions?

Anyone ever have this happen before?

Since coils are NOT cheap, I'd love to continue using this one and not have to buy a replacement if I can make it work.

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 06:32 PM

I wouldnt use epoxy, but that because I would want to rewrap the coil if it goes bad (A future project of mine, mine got ate up). I have used this on motor windings before.

http://www.shop3m.co...nsulating-Spray

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Boy, that is completely gone to pieces! I would first wonder why the coil is deteriorating like that. Is it just because of age or has it over heated due to shorted wires inside the coil and /or excessive heat from a hot running engine and the high temperatures we have had this past summer. I would take a resistance reading of the coil and see if it falls within the spec. for a new coil. If the resistance is fine I would try to save it. One other possibility would be using a high heat silicone. Permatex probably makes something that would work in that application.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have used fiberglass resin to re-seal in such cases, and have had good results that last.
  • Tennblue59 said thank you

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 09:28 PM

As JD said i would check the coils resistance and ohms and if all checks good just clean up and re epoxy it. The 2 part mix is what we use here to do this and has alwas worked fine.

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:40 PM

This was a "tractor-in-a-box" so I have no history of when it was running. And I don't know how old the clutch is or what it's history was.

I checked the impedance and it came back in specs - and it passed the "holds a metal wrench when engaged" test. Didn't heat up when engaged either. I was really surprised that it worked, given what it looked like.

There was some oil/grease residue on the clutch plates - but the engine block didn't show signs of leakage on the exterior... Perhaps something got spilled on it at some point???? I have no clue....

I originally discounted rtv (silicone) because it stays flexible (I would think a hard coating would be better to protect the wires if debris got in the plates..) To just seal out water, I could use a shellac paint coat. But the original coating provides "armor" as well for the wires, so think I should do that. Hadn't considered fiberglass resin - that would work as well as epoxy.

Coldone, if it does go bad, I don't think I would try to rewind it. I would have to buy the wire and have never done that sort of work before. Besides, the cost of JUST THE NEW COIL isn't that bad (under $100 new, IIR). Just trying to NOT spend money if I don't have to...

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:28 AM

I have used that fibreglass resin trick that Daniel spoke of,and found it worked quite well.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:51 AM

The last one I did I used a Urethane windshield cement to reseal the coil. That was several years ago and it never gave a problem. Cleaned all the oil off with brake and rotor cleaner. Removed all the old loose Epoxy and refilled the cavity with the urethane.
  • Tennblue59 said thank you