• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:25 PM

I have to blame this one on me, not the PO. The original gasket was in good shape, so, rather than scrape it off and make another for it, I just wiped it down good with brake cleaner, put some silicone-type gasket maker on it (high temp Permatex Red), and put it back on...

I was careful to torque everything down in stages to the specs...what I didn't know was that the gasket had came off on the corner around one bolt hole. When I torqued it down, it cracked the corner off, but I didn't notice it until I filled it with oil prior to starting it up... <Grrrrrr!!>

Anyway, I did find a welding shop that has experience welding cast iron, and they're open in the morning tomorrow (Saturday) so maybe I can get it fixed. If they can't fix it then I did find a pan for a K301 12 hp off an LGT 125 at Joe's Outdoor. It looks to be the same... does anyone know if they'll fit???

Thanks for your reply,

Hey ;

I had good luck using Nickel rod in my Weldanpower in the repair of my garden tractor cast iron gearbox. had to weld back a ear that was busted clean off. Trick is if it is a big crack, you have to pre heat it, and then you let it cool slowly in a tub of sand, covered.
Repair held good.

Hope this helps.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 12:27 AM

Well, I got it to a shop, and he worked on it even though he's not normally open on Saturday. He wanted $30, but I gave him a little more for his trouble. He brazed it up and it looks like it will hold... still cussin' myself for breaking it in the first place.

Steve

#18 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 12:29 AM

Well,.. still cussin' myself for breaking it in the first place.
Steve

Well pal no need for that cuz as we all know...sh1t happens. You're ok, the tractor is ok and you're back in business...Life is good, and you learned a lesson...Congrats....now, about that picture of the tractor?

Jim