8 replies to this topic

#1 Catman OFFLINE  

Catman

• Member No: 5363
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Good day all
How is the steering wheel held on to the shaft. Fairly rusted I can not see if its a roll pin or set screw
Any help would be apreaciated
Chris

#2 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 06:58 PM

It should be a 3/16" X 1 3/8" roll pin.

Here's a manual for your 702:

http://gardentractor...-service-parts/

#3 whfan74 OFFLINE  

whfan74
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9851
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 11:17 PM

Yup a lovely roll pin that hasn't been moved I bet in quite some time. They do become a little hassle to get out from time to time. After you get it out, spray some PB blaster in the hole. Just because it comes out means you are only half way there. Majority of the time they are stuck to the steering shaft themselves. Be patient and persistent.........you can get it off without doing any damage.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 03:39 AM

I would find a piece of wire that fits through the center hole and clean out the inside of it, then put some lube in there and let it sit a while. PB Blaster or Acetone/ATF would be good. Kroil if you have it.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 04:47 AM

I have always had good luck removing steering wheels with a bearing separator.

#6 Catman OFFLINE  

Catman

• Member No: 5363
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 07:06 AM

You guys are awsome....makes me feel like you are all in my garage sipping a cold one !!
Thanks again for all your help

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:18 AM

I think you will find lots of folks willing to help here, Catman! Good luck getting that pin out!

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:53 AM

:wave: Catman! Welcome to GTTalk! We're glad to have you with us! I used my hydraulic press (I actually bought it for this) to get the steering wheel off of my '58 RJ. The pin was also troublesome, but it came out with a little patience and a lot of PB Blaster. I'd love to see some pics of the 702 that you're working on as well as any other tractors you have in your stable at home! Thanks for signing up!

#9 whst400 OFFLINE  

whst400
  • Member No: 10929
  • 25 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 09:54 PM

The roll pin holding the steering wheel on is more than likely rusted in so badly that it will be next to impossible to remove it without damaging the steering wheel itself. But there IS hope. Ask yourself why you want to remove the steering wheel from the shaft. If the wheel itself is in need of replacement then damaging it is not an issue. If you need to remove it so you can paint the steering shaft then the fuel tank can be unbolted from the console and the tank and shaft can be removed from the tractor together. The pin that holds the steering gear on the other end of the shaft will probably be much easier to remove so you can get the tank off the shaft. You can then mask off the wheel and paint the visible part of the shaft.
The roll pin is hardened steel that is harder than most drill bits. That means you can't drill it out. It is also very difficult to press it out without damaging the sterring wheel.
If you don't care about damaging the wheel you can remove the plastic that covers the area around the shaft by breaking it off with pliers, cutting it away with a die grinder, etc. then heating the end of the roll pin with a torch (you want as much of the plastic out of the way as possible so it doesn't catch fire). Heating the pin will remove the temper from it and make it easy to drill out. You will probably have to heat the end, drill out a 1/4" or so, reheat the new end, drill that out, etc. until you have gotten through the wheel and shaft. This is how I remove the pins in the early models that don't have plastic arround the steering wheel hubs. If you can find a carbide grit rod saw blade of a small enough diameter you can chuck it into a drill and grind the pin out woithout damaging the wheel. I've done this a couple times but the rod saws I used were over twenty years old and I haven't looked to see if new ones are still being sold. The rod saw needs to be of small enough diameter to go thrugh the center hole of the pin. You have to cut the eyelets off the ends so one end can be chucked into a drill and the other en can go through the hole. Placing a VEY slight bend, more of a light bow, in the saw and running into an out of the hole like a small cylinder hone will help control how it grinds away at the pin. That also keeps the saw from binding in the slit of the pin.

Edited by whst400, September 11, 2012 - 10:00 PM.