Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

2 Lessons Learned

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Recently I was working on a Tecumseh H50 that had a dirty carb. I couldn't get a kit for it so I got the gasket's an O-Rings and proceeded to clean it. After I had it all clean and looking like new I installed it on the engine. It ran great on top end but pull it off to a lower RPM it would start hunting or surging and if you pulled it back far enough die. I was thinking that it had an air leak some where so that is what I looked for. What should have taken me about 2 hours or so ended up eating up 2 days trying to figure out the problem.

Since I couldn't get a kit and I didn't have any Welch plugs that would fit it, I decide blowing carb cleaner through the opening was good enough. Well one thing I have learned with years of programming computers when you get to a point most of the time it is better to have another set of eyes take a look. This paid off for the carb problem. I took it over to a buddy's and he saw immediately that the Welch plug had been pushed in extensively indicating some one had been in there before me. The second thing is when we took the old Welch plug out (he did have one that fit) it was still dirty and clogging the port. When we got those two thing resolved the engine now run beautifully.

So learn from my lesson's, especially if you are new to working on these engines. Don't second guess that something is clean, make sure it is and make sure you have the proper replacement parts you will need.

On a side note: I thought I would include some Pic's of before and after using soda blastingto clean the carb.

DSCF0546.JPG

DSCF0547.JPG

DSCF0553.JPG

DSCF0554.JPG
  • mjodrey, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#2 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Wow! I'm really impressed by the job the soda blasting did! By the way great tip on the carb. :thumbs:
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll take a close look at the one carb I have, that I thought
was sucking air, and couldn't get running properly.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for posting this Bill. I'll have to look into that soda blasting. It makes carbs look like new and that's hard to do by any other means. I find that the governor linkage tends to get worn on those H30-50 engines. The lever gets loose where it goes onto the little rectangular tit that it mounts on. This is pretty flimsy and seems prone to wear. When I did the carb on the H35 on my Troy Bilt Jr. the welsh plugs were actually rusty and crumbling on the inside, so if I hadn't replaced them I wouldn't have gotten far.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,676 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 06:46 AM

I know they call that aerosol stuff choke cleaner, but spraying it in the carb inlet does very little good.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:38 AM

Most small engine shops will have a selection of Welch plugs available for purchase. I think I paid $.25 for the last one I picked up.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:48 AM

Brian, I did remember another thread that talked about the governor linkage so I checked it over and it was nice and tight. I found a manual on Tecumseh Carburetor's and in the T/S section I kept going back to that idle circuit. Guess I should have followed my intuition. :mad2:

Yes I really like how they come out after blasting them and it makes short work of cleaning them up. The big problem is like any blasting it makes a mess. I need to get a blast chamber or make one. I currently made a tent out of clear plastic that goes over my old part washer. I have some plan's in my head of what I want to do but just haven't had the time to do anything about it.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Nice information on the carb...maybe it will help someone find their problem sooner and easier!

We have many soda blasters at work....also blasters that use plastic media....much more user & parts friendly compaired steel shot, black beauty or sand!

We use about 2500 pound of Armex blast media (Arm & Hammer guys) and about 2500 pounds of plastic blast media a week! We are one of the largest automotive drive train remanufacturer in the nation.

Edited by KC9KAS, September 07, 2012 - 03:45 PM.