Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Losing A Hard Drive... Ugh

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Re-installing an OS is not fun when you have everything set up the way you like it but Windows it the hardest of all OS to install IMO.

Casey when the wife got her's it looked legit but like I said no OS will give you a dialog that your hard drive is failing you will get an I/O input error on boot ( not while windows is running) or bad sector. Run Chkdisk on booting that will tell you if your drive is bad or not.. Here is a link for Window 7 if you're not familiar with it. I just don't believe your drive is bad.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,496 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm running malwarebytes right now. The whole machine has been backed up. If I can't fix it, I know some IT guys that live and breathe these stupid things lol. I am just glad you had a similar experience to set me in the right direction.

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,840 Thanks
  • 8,614 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:10 PM

What I did is took her machine back to an earlier restore point (I think about 3 days earlier) Then updated spybot and ran a scan. If you are running Malwarebytes right now and not having a problem then your HD is not failing. My experience is that either it just fails and leaves your computer hanging or you start to see some crazy things happening with programs like junk when you bring up a doc or you get an error trying to save something. Just clean the system squeaky clean and make sure you clean the registry as well and I think you will be just fine.

Oh yes if you shut your computer down while FF was running be sure you check out this thread
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,496 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Still running the malware program and posting from my iPhone. Hopefully I can get this straightened around quickly. If not I'm just going to do a system restore and start it off on a clean slate. I don't use most of the stuff on it anyhow. And I don't have a lot on it for programs that I added myself. Sad part is it would probably take less time in the long run to just system restore it and start over!! Stupid computers..

#20 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,838 Thanks
  • 4,009 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi Casey
Just ran into your thread and I feel Bill has it nailed. I think you have something else going on as Bill stated. We are here to help if you need Casey.
When I was still working I supported some 80 Laptops for your service tech in the forklift industry. My experience was very few hard drive failures ( Maybe 3 out of the 80 in 5 years) and most of the issues were Virus, Trojan, or Malware issues. Had 2 Motherboards fail as well and only 1 was out of warranty.
Don't give up yet Casey.
  • wvbuzzmaster and HDWildBill have said thanks