17 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well, it's been a while since I found a Power King (Crosley) tranny to put in my Panzer and it's been working great. Though I never shut off a saved search I had for these tranny's. So one day I get a hit on the local craigslist of someone looking for help or for parts on a seized Speedex t92 tranny. Yeah, I know, it's not a power king, but it's the same tranny with different input and output shafts.

I know I should leave this guy hanging, but he seemed kinda lost so I give him a call. Tell him that it could be the most common problem in 20 yr old t92s of being in 2 gears at once, so walk him through popping the top off. Sure enough, he can then slide it into neutral with his fingers and move it. Tell him that it's a common problem and to check with the guy who I got my tranny parts from. Calls me back later saying they wanted $170 for a rebuilt to w/ exhange and could I do it if he got the $11.50 rebuild kit? I'm thinking 'no' but saying 'yes'.

Anyway, I get the top back here yesterday. From the paint, seems like the tractors been restored but it had set out at some point. At least enough to allow water to seep around the shifter and get a good buildup of sandy rust crud in the top end. So... I do the rebuild and re-face the "lollipop" at the end of the shifter just like your supposed to. Ready to take it back to him on Friday. $50 labor for the rebuild and he took care of the rebuild kit. I'd better shut up now before the tax man comes looking for his share. I'm almost ashamed to say that I rather enjoyed the rebuild. My search turns up rebuild tips on other sites but not this one, so thought I'd post one here. Would I do more rebuilds for $50 labor... Maybe ;). Or if your just looking for a walkthrough - shoot me a pm. I didn't want to make this post 3 pages long.
Pictures.

disassembly
IMG-20120905-00179.jpg

lollipop after welding and grinding
IMG-20120905-00180.jpg

Finished top greased up and going in the box for friday.
IMG-20120905-00181.jpg

#2 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:30 PM

I just noticed that in the one picture... I've taken a picture of my feet. Reminds me of the movie Tombstone and the last words of Doc Holliday which were "dam, this is funny" when he notices his bare feet.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good job with it! Did you recommend the site to the speedex owner? I am going to be rebuilding a couple shifters soon. I planned on writing an article on it, that one will most likely be three pages long! LOL!

I also noticed the feet... open toed shoes are definitely a safety hazard!
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Good job with it! Did you recommend the site to the speedex owner? I am going to be rebuilding a couple shifters soon. I planned on writing an article on it, that one will most likely be three pages long! LOL!

I also noticed the feet... open toed shoes are definitely a safety hazard!

Practice your welding and grinding for the shifter end. Would recommend using nothing bigger than a dremel for grinding if you're trying to build up your experience. On this one, I used an angle and bench grinder to knock down the high spots. Then went dremel to get it down to spec.
I have a favorite board that I lay over my feet when I weld. No, it's not recommended, but it's better than nothing.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Practice your welding and grinding for the shifter end. Would recommend using nothing bigger than a dremel for grinding if you're trying to build up your experience. On this one, I used an angle and bench grinder to knock down the high spots. Then went dremel to get it down to spec.
I have a favorite board that I lay over my feet when I weld. No, it's not recommended, but it's better than nothing.

I have already done a few. LOL! When I did them I used a bench grinder, because I did not have a good angle grinder then. Now that I have an angle grinder I should have no problem getting it to exact spec.
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have already done a few. LOL! When I did them I used a bench grinder, because I did not have a good angle grinder then. Now that I have an angle grinder I should have no problem getting it to exact spec.

You mean you're not going to use my special shifter rebuild deal :( Guess I'll have to put off retirement for another 25 years or so.
These transmissions aren't that hard to work on really. There's one roll pin that's kind of a pain to get at, but with the right tools it comes right out. Not that it's easy, either, but compared to some of the atv tranny's I've had cracked open, it's definitely got a lot less moving parts.

#7 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well, I just dropped off the finished product and the fellow seemed genuinely tickled with it. He said he'd give me a call to tell how it goes, but I can't forsee any problems.

But he did tell me, there was a guy north of here (Pittsburgh) who wanted $370 PLUS the exchange for a rebuilt t-92 speedex tranny. Tell me that's not one of you guys, please? He even got an e-mail something to the tune of "I can't hold out this great offer forever". Man, you can buy a rebuilt t-92 with no exhange for $250 on e-bay!

#8 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:51 PM

ill have a tranny that will need a rebuild i just have to take it off my tractor and put in the new one i have first

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:55 PM

ill have a tranny that will need a rebuild i just have to take it off my tractor and put in the new one i have first

I can do it! I have the cheapest price around, only $49! :bigrofl:

#10 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:58 PM

I can do it! I have the cheapest price around, only $49! :bigrofl:

ha ha deal

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:00 PM

ha ha deal

Just don't let Dean know, he is trying to run a monopoly...

Edited by Ryan313, September 07, 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:19 PM

ha ha deal

Hold him to it! You just said tranny rebuild which means the whole thing and not just the top half. Make him work for that 49.99
:)

#13 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hold him to it! You just said tranny rebuild which means the whole thing and not just the top half. Make him work for that 49.99
:)

you got that Ryan?

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Well, I got a chance to see the speedex itself yesterday. Had to help getting the shifter on to the gear collars, etc. All done. Guy has a nice tractor. Model 1630 if I recall correctly.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 02:00 PM

you got that Ryan?

Did you not read the fine print of our contract?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: t92 shifter, speedex transmission, power king transmission