Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New To Site, Bolens 1050 Transmission Help.

bolens 1050 tran. problems.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 12:38 PM

:welcometogttalk: Had the same kinda problem with my 1050. Some of the gears were half worn and made a funny noise, so I found a used rear end to put in it. NOS parts were to expensive and hard to find. As for the friction discs never had to glue them back on (got a few good used ones) but I'm sure these guys on here got some good ideas for you. Enjoy the site!

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:12 PM

I should have done that myself, but my noggin isn't working right!

That makes two of us! :confuse:

Not a problem guys. I happened to get a couple minutes here while at work to check in went ahead moved it :D

#18 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:14 PM

Gary,just wanted to say welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Need some verbal help, folks. Took rear end off, to look at gears, front gear on gear cluster, half worn away. I've read that shifting on fly will do that, my mistake from years ago. 70's to be exact. Shifting into first gear, it slides, forward and back, but wobbles very much from being worn. Second gear does same. Also, clutch friction discs, have lost adhesive and just hang there. Any recommendation on what should be done, to refurbish, to running/working status. Motor runs great, was rebuilt, by fox equiptment, years ago. All else works great, old girl, just won't move any more. My background, retired aerospace machinist, not a motor head, would love to get her going again. Have my own shop, for rebuilding parts, lathe, mill, surface grinder, and lots of patience, with time to match.

First off, Welcome to GTT :wave:

As some others have stated buying replacement gears can get expensive real quick. There still seems to be a good supply of gears around but expect to pay close to $200 each gear.

I would look into buying a good used transmission off another 6 speed tubeframe as you can usually get one for $75-$100
How thick are your friction discs? IF they are thin and worn I would just rebuild the whole clutch. I had a disc come loose on my 800 I restored a few years ago and took the clutch off and super glued it back on. Its still holding after two years....

#20 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to gttalk, We are almost nieghbors! I maybe able to help you out, I sent you a p.m., so let me know if I can help! Watch out, Bolens are contagious, and before you know it you will have a whole shop loaded with them!

#21 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• Member No: 5194
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I am in the middle of a similar project. I bought a 1054 and the previous owner shifted on the fly. Not only did it have a noisy rear end, but the clutch was done for. I bought a 1253 for 50$ and a G10 for donors. Last weekend I did the rear end swap and it was easier than I thought it would be.

I also bought 3 more dogs off of craigslist. Got another 1054 (half fender), G10 and a 1050.First thing I checked for was decent clutches and I'm in luck! One tractor actually still has the free wheel pin keeper still intact on the RH axle. He offered the G10 to me for 25$, so it looks like I'll be dragging it back too.

On a side note: The G10 rearend guts are the same as the 6 speeds sans high/low. G10s can go cheap mainly because of the Techumseh engines and their SSI problems. The G10 I gutted last weekend has great gears and slide collars, but shot axle seals.

I tried to load all the pics of all the Bolens carnage, but I think I will have to resize all the pics quite a bit for them to load.
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#22 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:13 PM

The first pic is of the 1054 when I got it. The second is a before shot of the G10 I bought for parts, the third is what remaind a few hours latter.

Attached Thumbnails

• tny.jpg
  • 100_1045.JPG
  • 100_1046.JPG

#23 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:24 PM

First two shots are of the G10 TA. Second two are from my 1054 and the third is of the 1253 donor TA that went into the 1054.

Also note in the second shots the broken shift collar for 2/3rd gear.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1047.JPG
  • 100_1048.JPG
  • 100_1043.JPG
  • 100_1042.JPG
  • 100_1041.JPG

Edited by JJuday, September 07, 2012 - 05:24 PM.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#24 JJuday OFFLINE  

JJuday

• 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:34 PM

I am planning on removing the internals from the G10 TA, in particular, the shift collars for future needs. Might see if I can have someone TIG weld the broken on for a spare.

If you go the G10 route be aware of the lack of an inline clutch. They used a pulley set up, at least on the 3spd models. Not sure of the latter Briggs/6spd units.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm no Bolens guru, just a guy with some tools, a really messy shop and a wife who is tired of the garden tractor bug.