19 replies to this topic

#16 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Looks like you've found the makings of a great project.Those 990's are awesome!

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Rock County Thresheree in WI had a Farm King that I got for $175 Monday. Rusty, not running, engine turns and has compression. Won't steer all the way one way, the rod just bends and won't push it all the way. Two flat front tires. Came with Deck and a cobbled up snow blade that was made to hook on back on 3pt and pulls forward for grading. IT is a Sears blade I guess looking at numbers on it. Will be looking for some manuals. They here? I'll have to check. Unit is a Hydro with Briggs that has supposedly been rebuilt then parked years ago?? Starter/Gen on it. Three-point hitch and hydraulic lift for mower. Not sure what is gonna work or not, most controls need freeing and lubing to get working properly. Here's a few pix. I have numbers too, hard to read and hope are close to correct.

Tractor: Model 148 (or 0 last digit) 99020 Serial 41-007 (James Bond's tractor) :laughingteeth:
Engine: Model 26431 Type 0228-01(or 4) Code 7804111

Plow is 917.250551 a Sears number.

Check out that long plastic Gas Tank!! Neat!

Good find!!.. Looks like same layout as the White Yard Boss I just got. I'm impressed with the tractor overall--my biggest concern so far is that the front axles and axle mount seem to be a little on the thin side-especially in light of the beefiness of the rest of the tractor.

Does anyone know if the 4 lug wheels match any other common (or uncommon) wheel hub???

I'll be interested to see how yours turns out...

US

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Utah, mine has bigger 1" sleeves over the stock 3/4" axles, then the little brace of flat stock they must have used later. Wheels just slip on, no three bolt wheels. BUT, I won on epay some spindles, hubs and wheels for three-bolt that I was thinking maybe to put on it. Some fella on one of these sights used trailer wheels and hubs on his to get four-bolt. He had trouble with spindles and remade some in the posting. Think it was on MTF site tho. Has a whole long forum on the steps with pictures. Ones on tractor now, look fine, cept the outer end of arm with steer link might be bent up some. Still looks OK otherwise.

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 11:46 PM

Utah, mine has bigger 1" sleeves over the stock 3/4" axles, then the little brace of flat stock they must have used later. Wheels just slip on, no three bolt wheels. BUT, I won on epay some spindles, hubs and wheels for three-bolt that I was thinking maybe to put on it. Some fella on one of these sights used trailer wheels and hubs on his to get four-bolt. He had trouble with spindles and remade some in the posting. Think it was on MTF site tho. Has a whole long forum on the steps with pictures. Ones on tractor now, look fine, cept the outer end of arm with steer link might be bent up some. Still looks OK otherwise.

Yeah, there's some minor differences-- your grill is a little different too, I think.

US

#20 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Engine model does start with three, didn't catch that earlier and was light too. makes more sense on it now. Was finally able to start this old thing. PO had safety switches all tore up and little jumpers in plugs, falling out. I cut the whole harness down past those and went right to the selinoid with it. Now key works. I put a selinoid on it and got that wired right. Key works for start and stop now. Lights work after I removed the wrecked switch and touched wires. I don't seem to have charging yet, some wires off reg and at that breaker they were bypassed. Finally got it running. Would fire on either, but not gas. Tore off carb and got a kit and seemed to want to try to run. Mostly just on idle position. Tweeked the adjustments some and then had to play with points again to get a spark. Tinkiering worked pretty good, could start and stop many times. Took it out for a run to check drive. Had trouble getting into HI range, but finally forced it over. Later when I tore it down, found tons of nests and grass packings in all the fins and cases and was hanging up the lever for ranges too. Seemed to drive pretty good. Trans worked good in all speeds and reverse too. 3pt goes up/down. I stood on that and lifted me OK. Later I put it in the shed and after it cooled it wouldn't start! Sheesh! Started tearing off sheet metal and items. Had hard time with disc brake removal. Finally got the disc off, bent bent it some and not too pretty. Not sure I can save it or not. Didn't seem to have a set screw, was keyed. Snug fit and rusted or what to remove?? Bolts pushing it off and some heat seemed to get it going, and lots of punch/hammer blows. Not my proudest moments on that. Will be tearing down more and get a good pressure washer blast. Working on steering wheel now, another *&&^% time coming! Ha!