#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Rock County Thresheree in WI had a Farm King that I got for $175 Monday. Rusty, not running, engine turns and has compression. Won't steer all the way one way, the rod just bends and won't push it all the way. Two flat front tires. Came with Deck and a cobbled up snow blade that was made to hook on back on 3pt and pulls forward for grading. IT is a Sears blade I guess looking at numbers on it. Will be looking for some manuals. They here? I'll have to check. Unit is a Hydro with Briggs that has supposedly been rebuilt then parked years ago?? Starter/Gen on it. Three-point hitch and hydraulic lift for mower. Not sure what is gonna work or not, most controls need freeing and lubing to get working properly. Here's a few pix. I have numbers too, hard to read and hope are close to correct.

Tractor: Model 148 (or 0 last digit) 99020 Serial 41-007 (James Bond's tractor) :laughingteeth:
Engine: Model 26431 Type 0228-01(or 4) Code 7804111

Plow is 917.250551 a Sears number.

Check out that long plastic Gas Tank!! Neat!

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD Farmking 003.jpg
  • MTD Farmking 005.jpg
  • MTD Farmking 006.jpg
  • MTD Farmking 008.jpg
  • MTD Farmking 009.jpg
  • MTD Farmking 010.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Great score ! I see it is a later model by the notched out fuel tank, but not late enough for the gear start. Your model number indicates it's a 78, your engine code verifies it . You are missing a number on your engine model, should be a 326431.
The tractor serial is interesting, the 41 is just a prefix, so if your not missing any numbers in between, yours was number 7 for that year and model

#3 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Nice find! Looks like a fun project. Interesting that it doesn't have the three-lug hub wheels on the front. I thought they all had them. Also looks like your plastic dash is in nice shape too which is pretty hard to find. I like it. Keep us posted on your progress!

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Can't get the engine numbers to work on Briggs site. Is there other easier sights to use for ID and info? I tried the diff ways as mentioned below the search link and none seem to work.

Wheels? Maybe someone has changed them? I see the 3 bolt hubs in the manuals I downloaded too. Mine appear to be held on with a hitch pin, which seems odd, so who knows what may have happened in past. Size seems correct on tires.
This tractor is in WI still and I live in IN, so wont know much till I get it home and can look at it and tear down some. Was thinking of having wheels sent down to change to new tires for when I pick-up.

#5 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 02:12 AM

The three bolt front hubs are only used on pre 75 or 76 or so. The semi clear steering wheel cap also indicates range of years, the latest years used a black cap

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:31 AM

Congrats,those make nice tractors.

#7 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 05:03 AM

Can't get the engine numbers to work on Briggs site. Is there other easier sights to use for ID and info? I tried the diff ways as mentioned below the search link and none seem to work.

I think this is what you were looking for:

http://www.briggsand...=326431-0228-99

Hope you enjoy your 990!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Tractor: Model 148 (or 0 last digit) 99020 Serial 41-007 (James Bond's tractor) :laughingteeth:

Just remember- During your restoration the paint should be Shaken, not stirred!

Seriously though, those 990's are a nice machine. Congrats on your find!

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Looking at My Tractor forum shows fella re-doing one, lots of pix. He mentions a frame break which is common. Big hole in frame?? Another poster said 75 or earlier, mines a 78, so hope don't have that issue. Didn't notice any sag or movement when pushing.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 10:21 AM

He mentions a frame break which is common. Big hole in frame?? Another poster said 75 or earlier, mines a 78, so hope don't have that issue.

I haven't quite narrowed down exactly when the hole was eliminated but my '78 doesn't have the hole so you should be ok.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 10:49 AM

That is about the best plastic dash I have seen. Just a few chips missing on the left top corner as I can see. Usually they are busted badly.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Just remember- During your restoration the paint should be Shaken, not stirred!

Good one Brian. :laughingteeth:

#13 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 02:23 AM

The biggest problem with MTD dashes is mis alignment of the hood and grille, especially on the Whites because they have a fiberglass hood, the first step is to remove the bar that goes from the dash to the grille, then the mounting bolts for the grille are bolted to 2 tabs on the frame, those holes are 1/2 inch and the grilles and bolts are 3/8 , so you can loosen them and move the grille back to get the corners of the hood off of and keep from breaking the corners of the dash, if you can't get this adjustment, get a 2 or 3 degree axle shims and shim the grille that it leans back. this usually gets what you want in clearance. re install the support bar ,you may have to re drill, there can't be any tension on it ,thats why the tops of the dashes brake out.To fix the dashes ,use fusor 152, there stronger than new and I even taken 2 to make 1

Edited by HALFSCALE, September 07, 2012 - 02:24 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Tractor has no seat or supports. Four bolt holes into top metal if I recall right. Book shows just one of those big U-shaped springs on it with single bolt seat. Anyone have and extra? Could probly use something off other brand, but would have to drill those holes most likely. A nice big Power King one from 85 and up looks good. I have those, but no extra to use.

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:34 PM

In WI now and picking up tractors I bought. 990 isn't gonna run as is. Hooked up cables and Start/gen rolled fine, but not with key. finally figured out the selonoid was missing and I was hooking up batt direct. Also when cranking, no spark, key on or off. Not sure if correct part is gonna make diff on spark or not, we'll see. I changed the steering link and it steers fine now. Greased and PB'ld some things and moving better. New tires on front. Seat is mounted now, but found two of the four mount bolts broken off! Durn! Coming home Sunday.