14 replies to this topic

#1 kirkridge OFFLINE  

kirkridge

• Member No: 920
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 02:11 PM

Hi

Newbie here. Been rebuilding riding lawn mowers for a while and just fell into an Ariens S14H. This will be my first attempt at rebuilding a GT tractor. First I would like locate a source for parts. I know I need a Kohler starter,Ebay appears to have a few. I downloaded the User manual,parts list,and Repair manual but they don't have a lot of the system info. For instance the diverter valves (under the seat) are frozen in the down position and need to be freed up. Is there pressure on the hydraulic system when the tractor isn't running? How do you free them once they are removed from the tractor?

Sorry for the long post-maybe some knowledgeable person can help me by PM. If long post aren't liked or permitted.

Mike

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 02:26 PM

Welcome to the Forum, kirkridge :wave:

There are a lot of knowledgable guys here that should be able to help you out with your questions.
Ebay is a good place to get parts from.
Dont worry about posting questions in the Forum. We encourage posting so post away!

Also... we love pictures here, so if you can...take a couple pictures of your Tractor :D :wewantpics:

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 02:39 PM

kirkridge:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here

#4 kirkridge OFFLINE  

kirkridge

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 02:44 PM

Pictures as requested---I think!!DSCN0597.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0596.jpg
  • DSCN0595.jpg
  • DSCN0598.jpg

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 03:02 PM

That's not a bad looking tractor.:thumbs:

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 03:03 PM

Not familiar with what hydro in under there, but I think you have 2 unloader valves with small. like 1/8" wide buttons? When you take them out, more than likely the pins are just frozen in the big nut they stick out of. Be sure before removing these plugs to clean the area well to keep anything from dropping into the holes. And also be extra careful when pulling all out, as there "may" be loose parts. I think it all removes quite easily as a single unit, but then again, I've never worked on this type hydro. Just pull them, then clean up the offending area & you'll be fine. There is some pressure when just running, around 160lbs or so from charge pump into the hydro. Does it have hydraulic deck lift? If so, when running there is flow through the lift valve, then back to the reservoir, but no pressure here unless the control valves are activated to raise the deck/etc. Also, when the unloader valves are pushed down, when in clean free working condition, they swill stay down with engine off to allow pushing/pulling the tractor short distances, but when engine is started, they will pop back up due to charge pump pressure.
You might ought to look inside that starter. May simply need a new set of brushes. If in doubt after taking it apart, just take close-up pics of what you find. We'll help where we can.

#7 kirkridge OFFLINE  

kirkridge

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 03:26 PM

Thank you for the quick reply and excellent information. I may be jumping the gun as I should get the tractor running first. The starter doesn't engage the flywheel just continues to spin. If I manually engage the dog gear and flywheel the armature spins but the gear dos not. I removed the starter -shaft is very loose-bearing gone.
You answered my ? as to the hydraulic pressure. I'll wait to see if the valves pop up when the tractor is running before tearing into the hyd system. I really don't know much about hydraulic systems but will learn.
This tractor has a front and mid PTO plus front and rear lifts plus a deck lift. if I seeing it right. Keep the help coming as I should have it off the trailer sometime this week--time allowing.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 03:31 PM

I take it your name is Kirk? Yes, wait till you have her fired. The valves may be fine. They won't pop up until the pressure comes up. Sounds like new starter time. I make my own bushings on my lathe, but not everyone can. The starters on ebay are very reasonable compared to just a few years ago. And welcome to GTT!

#9 kirkridge OFFLINE  

kirkridge

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thank you. My name is Mike.

#10 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Welcome mike to GTtalk

#11 kirkridge OFFLINE  

kirkridge

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 07:13 AM

Thank all of you for the welcome.

Is it difficult to add a rear PTO to this tractor?
What dollar range to add PTO?
Are rear tillers available?
What other attachments would use a rear PTO?

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thank all of you for the welcome.

Is it difficult to add a rear PTO to this tractor?
What dollar range to add PTO?
Are rear tillers available?
What other attachments would use a rear PTO?

Without seeing a schematic of the unit, and knowing what hydro/diff is in there, it's impossible to say about rear pto. And I know nothing about what attachments were available for it. Get as many pics as you can of the inner workings.

#13 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 28, 2010 - 09:56 AM

I have several rear PTO unit's complete with electric clutch, There not hard to put on, they attach to the back of the hydro pump, under the gas tank, 4 bolts removes the tank, then install the shaft, clutch, and support out the back. Ariens is the only tractor I know of that has THREE shaft drive PTOs and Three hydraulic lifts. The lever above the left foot board has a lever, put in the middle it lifts the mower deck, pull the lever back and it lifts the front lift for blade or snow blower, or push it forward to lift the 3 point or tiller. The raise, lower, float is on the fender and This 1100 lb lift does have down pressure. I collect parts of ALL kinds, came across these from a mower shop in Chicago, most were used, but complete working units. I guess the guy salvaged them off tractors going to the scrap yard. They are available on Ebay, but I would start looking for a parts tractor with one one it. Those PTO units bring 250+ and I see complete parts tractors (blown engine) for around 300, especially the GT17's, which always threw rods, most of the GT16, GT17, GT18 and GT20's came standard with the rear PTO Good Luck, BB

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 28, 2010 - 10:08 AM

Also, when looking for parts or a parts tractor, the New Holland S14H is the identical unit.

#15 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 28, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Also, when looking for parts or a parts tractor, the New Holland S14H is the identical unit.

Well not quite the Sperry New Holland sold it's line of garden tractors to Ariens in 1974, and while the first few years Ariens used existing stock and design, by 1978 there were some significant changes under the sheet metal including a new hydro unit, the old Vickers was gone was replaced with the Sundstrand series 15 "U" type. Gas tanks were squared off in the pre 1979 models and steering wheels had a funny offset spoke. You have to realize this tractor was made from the early 1970's until close to 1990, without hardly any body style, and few mechanical changes. Kind of like the Boeing 747 when you have a great product, you refine it, you don't change it. Very few New Hollands out there, but If you find one, it would be worth more as a restoration project