Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Ad Said Jd 317 Needs Tlc - How Could I Resist!

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#106 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Looking good JD., :thumbs: I really want to know about mounts, I have 3 or 4 JD's that need them replaced.

• JDBrian said thank you

#107 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:29 AM

Just catching up here, Brian. Looking good!

• JDBrian said thank you

#108 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 07:13 AM

Looking good JD., :thumbs: I really want to know about mounts, I have 3 or 4 JD's that need them replaced.

Brian, I am waiting to see if this damps properly on the 317 before I post all the dimensions and part numbers. These mounts are available at a reasonable cost and the install is not that difficult or expensive. The plate mounts that JD used have one advantage over the rubber type I'm trying. They are self snubbing. I think I have figured out a way to snub these mounts but for now I'm just doing a basic install to see if the motor runs smooth. If you have any input on this let me know. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#109 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Very clean rebuild!! Looks great.

Also, for anyone looking for mount alternatives: http://www.mcmaster....-mounts/=odls23

Edited by twostep, September 05, 2013 - 01:05 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#110 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Also, for anyone looking for mount alternatives: http://www.mcmaster....-mounts/=odls23

Unfortunately for those of us in Canada, McMaster Carr won't ship to us here unless you are a major account. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#111 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Unfortunately for those of us in Canada, McMaster Carr won't ship to us here unless you are a major account. 

JD., You know a few people down here that would buy them and ship them up to you at no extra cost!! :thumbs:

• JDBrian and Trav1s have said thanks

#112 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 04:14 PM

That's where I got the ones for my Ford.

JD., You know a few people down here that would buy them and ship them up to you at no extra cost!! :thumbs:

How do I send a care package to you? LOL Let's see, you're my long lost brother. Yeah that sounds good. Now I gotta send you some family goodies. No value, just heirlooms!

• Texas Deere and Horse and JDBrian have said thanks

#113 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yes, I am one of them who would be glad to help a Canuck friend!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#114 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thanks guys!  :thumbs:  :thumbs: I'll keep that in mind the next time I need something unobtainable in Canada.  I just got back in from the garage. I got the 2 hydraulic levers and linkages to the valves installed, but it wasn't easy. With a parts manual, service manual and pictures you'd think it would be easy. Not so much, as the top actuator on the valve goes to the bottom lever which isn't logical but that's the way it's hooked up. After about 4 tries I got it hooked up properly. I now am to the point where it's time to think about the drive train and front end. The console can go on any time and I'm going to work on the dash plate labelling (white paint on the raised symbols and lettering), then install as many of the controls, meters and switches as possible before I mount it. The engine was sitting there looking sad so I pulled the plugs, points cover and breather covers. I had to remove the intake manifold and carb to get the breather cover off one side, but the carb is being rebuilt anyway so it needed to come off. The fuel line from the pump to the carb was rotten. I'm replacing all the lines. The plugs were sooty. It seemed like it was running rich when I got it and it was smoking a bit when first started. The points are pitted and the cover gasket was installed off centre so oil and gunk were inside the cover. It still started fine and ran decent like that though. I was surprised to not see valve adjustment nuts like on the single K series. I wanted to adjust valve clearance. I'll have to look that up in the manual. I have a new metal reed valve breather plate to install. The old one is a red rubber plunger and since the engine compartment was soaked with oil it's probably bad. I'll need to make a bunch of gaskets to put it back together but I have a roll of gasket material I got at Napa the other day. It's gradually taking shape, although it still doesn't look much like a tractor. 

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#115 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 05, 2013 - 05:07 PM

It may not look like much right now but one day soon it will all of a sudden like complete. They always do that for some reason. :D

• JDBrian said thank you

#116 csxtrainman36 OFFLINE  

csxtrainman36
  • Member No: 46469
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 08:39 PM

It looks like a challenge, and sounds like some people did not appreciate a good tractor. I hope you get it right Brian, then youll have something accomplished in a 317. I love my 317. Got it for nothing, and all I had to do was replace a voltage regulator.

84 JD 317 with ONAN retrofit

• JDBrian said thank you

#117 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 06:57 AM

I like the older 300 series. You don't see many of them but they tend to be cheaper than the 318's. I think 318's are just as rare around here. I would like to have a 332 but really have no great urge to have a 318. Diesel is addicting! 

• Trav1s and twostep have said thanks

#118 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Same here... Heck if you are around the Cambridge area I might even be able to hand deliver them.

• JDBrian said thank you

#119 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 05:22 PM

More progress. I got the rear end on it. That thing was heavy and awkward going up the basement stairs! Got the brakes and rear wheels on. In the front I finished the steering linkage, axle wheels and even adjusted the toe in. I had some trouble getting one wheel on the spindle. I don't know why but I needed to sand the spindle a fair bit to get the wheel on, new bearings and all. Finished the console and assembled the switches, a voltmeter and a hour meter. I painted the hood and the front brace which turned out lousy but will have to do. Cleaned the carb today, it wasn't too dirty but there was a big piece of rubber fuel line in the float bowl which you can see at about 11 o clock in the first picture. The gas in it also smelt like something else. I have the new PCV breather assembled on the engine. I think I'll pull the starter and give it the once over before putting the engine back in. Heres some pics. 

DSCF9247.jpg  DSCF9248.jpg

DSCF9249.jpg  DSCF9252.jpg

DSCF9256.jpg  DSCF9258.jpg

DSCF9259.jpg  DSCF9260.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#120 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Looking very nice!  Always good to see all the improvements as a project comes along.

• JDBrian said thank you