I've been cleaning up and painting a lot of small parts during the winter. I got the seat sorted out. it turns out that the seat base and one of the springs were bent and someone did a lot of work to sort it out. Metal was welded onto the bottom for the brackets to bolt to and setup so that it roughly keeps the seat level even though 1 spring is bent down in the front.
I got the grey paint off the seat and got it cleaned up and painted. Patched a hole in the bottom back of the base and it looks pretty good. For some reason the black edging that holds the seat to the frame is now too short. I don't know how that happened. It held it's shape when off the seat and seems to be on in the same position.
Some photos of paint on seat and rusty base
After some attention