Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Ad Said Jd 317 Needs Tlc - How Could I Resist!

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#76 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 07:09 AM

I've been cleaning up and painting a lot of small parts during the winter. I got the seat sorted out. it turns out that the seat base and one of the springs were bent and someone did a lot of work to sort it out. Metal was welded onto the bottom for the brackets to bolt to and setup so that it roughly keeps the seat level even though 1 spring is bent down in the front. 

I got the grey paint off the seat and got it cleaned up and painted. Patched a hole in the bottom back of the base and it looks pretty good. For some reason the black edging that holds the seat to the frame is now too short. I don't know how that happened. It held it's shape when off the seat and seems to be on in the same position. 

Some photos of paint on seat and rusty base

DSCF8409.jpg  DSCF8415.jpg

DSCF8436.jpg  DSCF8437.jpg

After some attention

DSCF8457.jpg  DSCF8458.jpg

DSCF8460.jpg  DSCF8461.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#77 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Looks good, Brian! Are you planning to replace the bent spring?

#78 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Eventually I may get another seat and a spring. The way they set it up the seat sits level on the bent spring because whoever repaired the tractor built up the added metal strip on the bottom of the seat to make up for the bend in the spring. Whoever fixed this up after it was rolled put in a lot of time to get it running again. The seat base is still bent and you can notice it if you really look but it sits more or less level.

• KennyP said thank you

#79 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 07:54 AM

At least it will work for now. Glad you got some things done this winter!

#80 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've gotten a lot of the smaller bits cleaned up and painted but i can't paint anything large inside. I can't put too much back on the frame either. It will get too heavy to get back out of the basement. Next up will be the front wheels, which I went at with a wire wheel last fall so they don't need a lot of work to be ready for paint. I'll paint them but I think the rears may have to wait until spring.  I've got some work to do on the rear end assy, new axles/wheel bearings and seals as well as clean it up and re paint. I also may need to replace one of the check valves as it sticks and won't release if you bypass the hydro to push the tractor. I'll just keep picking away at it until spring. I think I'll put the rock shaft and hydraulic valve/tubing/outlets back on the frame. They need to go on first and I need the space for other parts. The cabinet where I store my painted parts is jammed full. There is still a lot of stuff left to paint. 

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#81 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 02:14 PM

I've been working on the hydro linkage which is a real contraption. Replaced the bushings on the pivot where the travel lever mounts. Got most of the parts stripped and painted. I got the axle back from the machine shop. I had the king pin bores taken out to 1-1/8 and bushings installed. I replaced the centre pivot bushings and I think I will drill and tap the bolt for a grease fitting. 

I used a Greenlee chassis punch and a long fine thread bolt to pull the bushings into the axle. I find this works well and have used it several times where you can access both sides of the bushing.  I put the flat sides of the 2 punch parts against the axle and bushing, insert the bolt and centre it roughly by hand then crank the bolt in to pull the bushing into the axle. Pics below. 

DSCF8465.jpg  DSCF8466.jpg

DSCF8467.jpg  DSCF8468.jpg

Painted

DSCF8470.jpg

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#82 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 04:01 PM

At least you are making some progress. Shouldn't take too long to finish once the weather cooperates up there!

• JDBrian said thank you

#83 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 07:47 PM

If I can find the time to work on it. I'm now painting a large room in the basement which is slowing me down. I've got some major work to do yet on it before it's anywhere near ready to reassemble. I need to completely redo the wiring as it was in really bad shape. I need to replace the sides of the console. They were rusted bad and filled previously. I'm going to get new sheet metal for the sides and drill all the holes in them then weld them to the thicker front section. Should make a nice little project. I've also got to do some work on the badly rusted front grill/hood support. I hope to have some time off work at the end of March and if the weather cooperates I'd like to tackle these welding/fabricating jobs then.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#84 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Seems there is never enough time, but you'll get her done.  Just keep on keeping on & she'll be ready to go!

• JDBrian said thank you

#85 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Long overdue for another update but I've been busy and haven't done much reassembly. I got the hydraulic control valve and the rockshaft mounted on the frame. Got the hydro linkage stripped and painted and stripped the front wheels down to bare metal, primed and painted. Replaced the wheel bearings and heres some pictures of them. I also took a picture of a cupboard where I keep all my repainted parts. It's stuffed full of small parts. The bigger stuff is on a shelving unit.  

DSCF8608.jpg  DSCF8609.jpg

DSCF8610.jpg  DSCF8612.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#86 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:54 PM

JD., Those wheels are some of the nicest finish I've seen, they look like they are factory powder coated. :thumbs:  Very nice job and your coming along. I know about not having time, My Squire project is calling out to me as if I have abandon it. :(

• JDBrian and Trav1s have said thanks

#87 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:15 AM

Looking good! :thumbs:

• JDBrian said thank you

#88 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 07:18 AM

JD., Those wheels are some of the nicest finish I've seen, they look like they are factory powder coated. :thumbs:  Very nice job and your coming along. I know about not having time, My Squire project is calling out to me as if I have abandon it. :(

I guess it's all part of the hobby- I mean trying to prioritize the tractor work amongst all the other activities and jobs that keep coming up to suck up available time. I'm not getting any more tractors this year and need to get rid of some of the other stuff I've accumulated to make more room for the 2 JD's (314,317) I want to keep. I went on a buying binge last year and bought a bunch of stuff that I need to fix and move out this year. 

The wheels are painted with Tremclad Yellow. I like the tremclad paint. I seem to be able to get a good gloss with a spray can. I think it's branded Rustoleum in the USA. I cannot get good results with the Krylon paint for some reason. Can't get a good gloss at all. The wheels were stripped right down to bare metal, all the dings in the rim lip fixed, and there were many, given a coat of filler primer and then the yellow. I'm happy with them. I find the primer really helps with durability in the long term. 

• KennyP, Utah Smitty and Sawdust have said thanks

#89 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I've been working on the console and have the new sides made and ready to weld to the front. I also completed and primed the new battery tray from 1/8" x1" angle with a 16g bottom. Since the angle is not really 90 degrees it took some fussing to get the sides perfectly vertical where it bolts to the console sides. I had trouble welding the bottom into the angle iron frame. Couldn't seem to keep the bead from wondering all over. I eventually got it secure but it isn't pretty. Welding in a corner is the trouble I guess.  Also got the 2 rear wheels pretty much stripped of rust and old paint. 

DSCF8647.jpg  DSCF8648.jpg

DSCF8995.jpg  DSCF8996.jpg

DSCF8994.jpg  DSCF8997.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#90 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well, I did some practicing and discovered why I am having trouble seeing what I am welding. I didn't have the helmet down far enough on my head to allow me to look down through the window. Because I have progressive lenses I was not able to focus properly at welding distances. When I loosened the helmet and let it fall down into the proper position I could focus on what I was doing. This made it a lot easier to see the molten pool of metal at the front of the weld. So after some practice I jigged up the console sides and went out and welded it. I couldn't really spot weld as I had 3/8" holes to work in. I tried to run a short bead on the front and back sides of the hole. I got it finished and it looks OK from the outside. There is one small spot (the top one on the side showing) where I got too much heat but otherwise it's just discolouring of the metal from heat. Welds are a bit messy on the inside.  I went to get some pics and the camera battery gave up after 1 shot. :wallbanging:  So heres a shot of the rebuilt console on the frame. I'll take some more later. 

DSCF8999.jpg

• KennyP said thank you